south doyle- powell-

notright

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ftbalfan06,

Okay, then. Who is on your list to replace Coach Hutchins? Maybe you should look at the past coach's and who was hired to replace them. If you contend that it's the root of the problem, you might want to consider that they had trouble getting good applicants when both Swafford and Hutchins were hired. Where should Mr. Duncan go to find the 'miracle coach'? I know that you are concerned with only the past 4 years, because that's when your son has played. I certainly can understand your frustration. My point is that you are saying the same things that were being said when my son played - and that was a different staff and AD. I have been on the inside looking out. I'm just questioning why the answer always is 'the only light at the end of the tunnel is another train'. It just seems to me, the continuing coach rotation hasn't helped the program either. I don't think it would hurt to keep in mind that these folks are teachers first, coaches second.

Ftbalfan06,

Okay, then. Who is on your list to replace Coach Hutchins? Maybe you should look at the past coach's and who was hired to replace them. If you contend that it's the root of the problem, you might want to consider that they had trouble getting good applicants when both Swafford and Hutchins were hired. Where should Mr. Duncan go to find the 'miracle coach'? I know that you are concerned with only the past 4 years, because that's when your son has played. I certainly can understand your frustration. My point is that you are saying the same things that were being said when my son played - and that was a different staff and AD. I have been on the inside looking out. I'm just questioning why the answer always is 'the only light at the end of the tunnel is another train'. It just seems to me, the continuing coach rotation hasn't helped the program either. I don't think it would hurt to keep in mind that these folks are teachers first, coaches second.

Have Duncan Go get all the Powell Staff as a new fresh era at SD! hahaha /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Ftbalfan06,

The problems that are facing South Doyle are very similar to the problems facing both Clinton and Lenoir City. It has a lot less to do with coaching and a lot more to do with personnel, talent, and the community. The hardest thing to do when you have been facing these tough years is to somehow find a way to win more often than lose. Unfortunately, community support often hinges on the success of a program. That's just the "winning" mentality that we are taught when it comes to sports, and there is very little that can be done to combat that. Playing in region 3-4A doesn't help either, because you have to compete with Maryville, Central, West, Halls, and Powell.

Coaching plays a role in this, but there is a bigger problem at SD. I watched the Cherokees play Powell on Friday, and this SD team has talent, a lot more than I've seen from them in recent years. However, just because they have more talent than previous years doesn't mean that they are going to make the playoffs. These are high school athletes, and the most important thing that can happen for these boys is to gain support and receive praise from their friends, families, and community, no matter what the outcome may be on Friday night. The same can be said about LC and Clinton. You can't just turn around a program overnight, and it takes more than a good coach and a few good athletes.

The problems that are facing South Doyle are very similar to the problems facing both Clinton and Lenoir City. It has a lot less to do with coaching and a lot more to do with personnel, talent, and the community. The hardest thing to do when you have been facing these tough years is to somehow find a way to win more often than lose. Unfortunately, community support often hinges on the success of a program. That's just the "winning" mentality that we are taught when it comes to sports, and there is very little that can be done to combat that. Playing in region 3-4A doesn't help either, because you have to compete with Maryville, Central, West, Halls, and Powell.

Coaching plays a role in this, but there is a bigger problem at SD. I watched the Cherokees play Powell on Friday, and this SD team has talent, a lot more than I've seen from them in recent years. However, just because they have more talent than previous years doesn't mean that they are going to make the playoffs. These are high school athletes, and the most important thing that can happen for these boys is to gain support and receive praise from their friends, families, and community, no matter what the outcome may be on Friday night. The same can be said about LC and Clinton. You can't just turn around a program overnight, and it takes more than a good coach and a few good athletes.

Well said.

I have watched this and am amazed that there are still some people who support Duncan. He has run off every coach that has done well at SD with the exception of Coach Howard and he is such a fixture in our community it would take dynamite to move him. Listening to a couple of people still talk about Coach Swafford is ridiculous. Like ftblfan says that was a long 4 years ago. However, I was one of his players and I must state as I have before...we were a physical get after it team. there were alot of people who didn't like him for his antics but it is what he did and believed in and the truth was he always believed in us. But the only thing I wanted to contribute to this is a) we no longer have SD people in the front office or on the sideline (Coach Chandler needs to come home) and B) I was at the funeral of one of SD's former players and looked up and saw Coach Swafford. You can say alot about him but when he was needed he showed up. That was why many of us will always call him Coach.

Ftbalfan06,

Still no one has explained to me how I'm suppose to explain to my son that we are in a rebuilding stage, it takes time, it will get better, blah blah, yada yada. Meanwhile he is just wasting his high school days committed to a program working his butt off, giving his all to the program, and the program continues to fail him. What are we teaching these boys, work your butt off for nothing.

The team is so lost and undisciplined they have recently been stealing from their own booster club. Hutchins should lay the hammer down on the boys that have been stealing, and they should be removed from the team, no matter if they are starters or not. But he doesn't have the respect of all the boys. Check out the sideline during a game, they are talking to people on the fence, they have earphones in, listening to music, throwing there helmets, some even just flat out lay down on the sidelines. It looks like a lounge on the sidelines. The boys have stopped playing as a team, and are only worrying about their own stats. The team is falling apart, and some really good atheletes are going suffer. Hutchins will eventually move on and find another job, coaching somewhere else, but some of these boys will never have the chance to play football again. Now please tell me how right is this???

Still no one has explained to me how I'm suppose to explain to my son that we are in a rebuilding stage, it takes time, it will get better, blah blah, yada yada. Meanwhile he is just wasting his high school days committed to a program working his butt off, giving his all to the program, and the program continues to fail him. What are we teaching these boys, work your butt off for nothing.

The team is so lost and undisciplined they have recently been stealing from their own booster club. Hutchins should lay the hammer down on the boys that have been stealing, and they should be removed from the team, no matter if they are starters or not. But he doesn't have the respect of all the boys. Check out the sideline during a game, they are talking to people on the fence, they have earphones in, listening to music, throwing there helmets, some even just flat out lay down on the sidelines. It looks like a lounge on the sidelines. The boys have stopped playing as a team, and are only worrying about their own stats. The team is falling apart, and some really good atheletes are going suffer. Hutchins will eventually move on and find another job, coaching somewhere else, but some of these boys will never have the chance to play football again. Now please tell me how right is this???

What it is teaching is that sometimes you work hard and you still don't finish on top, but you keep on working hard and doing things the right way. It's called preparing for real life.

Football is just a game. Getting an education and learning to compete is what counts. Not everybody can win the championship, but everybody can compete to get themselves in the position to do so in real life.

What it is teaching is that sometimes you work hard and you still don't finish on top, but you keep on working hard and doing things the right way. It's called preparing for real life.

Football is just a game. Getting an education and learning to compete is what counts. Not everybody can win the championship, but everybody can compete to get themselves in the position to do so in real life.

True football is just a game, and true we are preparing them for real life, but how would you feel if you had worked, and done your absolute best and didn't receive any type of compensation, monetarily or otherwise. These boys get no praise or encouragement what so ever from the coaches or administration at SD. So unless your living this nightmare you can't not give me this line of bull about preparing for the future. I know of no one that works just for the heck of it.

Would you work for, four years without any type of pay?????

True football is just a game, and true we are preparing them for real life, but how would you feel if you had worked, and done your absolute best and didn't receive any type of compensation, monetarily or otherwise. These boys get no praise or encouragement what so ever from the coaches or administration at SD. So unless your living this nightmare you can't not give me this line of bull about preparing for the future. I know of no one that works just for the heck of it.

That is a horrible analogy. So basically, you are saying that these boys are getting zero support, zero praise, and zero encouragement from the coaches/administration. Is there not someone supporting these guys, at least a little bit? I'm not sure what it is that you want them to do, but they aren't going to sugar coat life for you, wipe your mouth off when it's dirty, and tell you that you're special because you are different from everyone else. Playing football doesn't guarantee that you are going to win football games; in fact, it doesn't really guarantee you anything. Some of the toughest and most important life lessons can be learned in situations like these, where you have to overcome serious adversity. No one likes to lose. However, I have a lot of respect for a guy who plays football for 4 years at a high school that might have won one game in those 4 years. You can't just quit and give up because the chips are down or because the team isn't winning.

f

Perhaps you (because of your immature response I no longer think you are a parent), could learn something from a fellow teammate. I believe the young man featured a couple weeks back in the News Sentinel article would disagree with your interpretation of "living this nightmare". He experienced what a REAL nightmare is in the loss of his mother. Football is just a game. Unfortunately, life isn't fair. As you go on with your life, you'll realize that this isn't the first nor the last time that you work hard at something and still didn't come out on top. Perhaps the true test is how you handle the adversity. There's a lot of football left to be played yet this season.

That's where we are not going to agree. I've had the opportunity to talk to several of the S-D coaches and administrators over the last few weeks. They do support the players.