Hunter Green State Bound!

Rhea Co.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hunter has signed with MTSU. Here is the article from the Chattanooga Times.

Rhea's Green to play golf at MTSU

Thursday, November 15, 2007

By Kelley Smiddie

Staff Writer

Rhea County High School's Hunter Green joined Wednesday's lists of Chattanooga-area signees, making good on a pledge to sign a golf scholarship with Middle Tennessee State University.

Green said he has family ties with MTSU and the school's coaches have been aware of him since his sophomore year with the Golden Eagles. His official visit was Nov. 3.

Three times Green tied for first place in the Class AAA state tournament. He won playoffs his sophomore and junior seasons. Although he ended up runner-up as a senior, his 6-under-par 30 on his first nine in the 36-hole competition equaled the tournament record for a low side.

Each of those years the tournament was held in Murfreesboro at Old Fort, a course the Blue Raiders play regularly. Green's best competitive round at the course was a second-day 66 in 2005.

"The high school tournaments there are set up a little shorter than what we play, but it's a good measuring stick," MTSU coach Whit Turnbow said. "I know what my guys can do there and Hunter's going to fit in just great. I expect him to be able to compete right away. He's going to accomplish what he sets his mind to. If he's going to be open-minded and coachable, his possibilities are limitless."

Rhea County coach Micah Ruehling marveled at Green's lengthy tee shots and said he also has a respectable game around the greens. He thinks stamina should be his focus moving forward.

"Anytime you step up to a next level, you have to turn your game up," Ruehling said. "Now his practice time is going to increase and so is the amount of travel. He'll have to prepare for the day-in, day-out grind. When he went to tee up this year, he was better than everybody else and on average would beat most people. In the college game, everybody in the field has a chance to win."

Green said he is undecided on a major but he likes the emphasis the Blue Raiders put on academics, in particular how the athletics programs monitor students' class time and grades. Comfortable with that, he can concentrate on his craft.

"I'm going to practice all winter, then come out in the spring and play some tournaments, in the summer play some tournaments -- do what I normally do," Green said. "I'm going to have to be able to play well all the time to make the travel team."

E-mail Kelley Smiddie at ksmiddie@timesfreepress.com

Congratulations to Hunter. I know he will fit right in there.