Why is Hickman rank so low

ddaddy

The games would be more competitive anyway. How much more futility would you impose on a closed zone public school? I agree the problems would all migrate to 5A most likely, maybe 4A. Those that recruit, provide financial assistance for athletic gain or open up their boundaries would be nose to nose with those with a big enough public enrollment to overcome it. 1A, 2A and 3A football would go back to small community based football where you play the hand that's dealt you. The competitive spirit of the school wouldn't let a 3A team flounder in 1A for long. It's human nature to want to do the best that you can do with what you have. Isn't that how small private schools with 300 student enrollments beat schools with 1500 kids enrolled? The futility is fighting $$$ that small public schools don't have to spend and then calling it fair.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean that personal opinion sways the SOS rankings, just the opposite is the case. Hickman County's opponents have won 31.7% of their games which ranks them 55 out of 58 teams in Class AA. Goodpasture's opponents have won 27.6% which ranks them 56th. Simple.

Thank CoachT. They think that I pull numbers out of the air.

And turbo, check out my previous post about tradition.

How about the other way around? I think the gold balls should go to the school's with the purest form of community football and not who can attract the best players. Not that it really matters. It's fake gold anyway........

It's like comparing Little League to travel ball. The LL's have to pull their players from a defined boundary and play their way into a World Series. Travel ball teams have a tryout and pick the best 12 and pay $350 entry fees into World Series.

Like donhaney said, it's not apples to apples.

As far as the merit system goes, how is ranking teams based on a 4 year history more arbitrary than a multiplier. Who decides the multiplier and why is it applied to the losing private and open zoned schools the same as those that are winning gold colored balls. Nothing is perfect, but why sacrifice the smaller privates that aren't kicking everybody's butts every week? Fair is fair. A level playing field is all that I'm asking for, not an across the board blood letting.

I tell you what let T$$AA try to class based on merit and see what happens. They would be in for a lawsuit that makes the Brentwood Academy case look like Judge Judy.

On what grounds? Suing and winning are 2 different things anyway, but if you can put a multiplier on private schools and allow open zoned schools to compete with closed zoned schools mixed with privates, I don't think whoever is suing would have a leg to stand on. Some of the stuff we're doing already is arbitrary. Heck, every high school team in Tennessee is already ranked from top to bottom by multiple sources. Take the average of those and divide by 5.

If what you say is true, the TSSAA would have been sued by the private schools for the multiplier. Who decided that number and on what basis?

Niether Hickman nor Lewis CO. has played anybody. Huntington, Milan, Camden ect... at least have tough region games. GP and CPA have had killer non- region schedules. Goodpasture has 3, count 'em 3 5A opponants not to mention Lipscomb on thier schedule. And CPA's 3 losses have come against D2 teams with a combined 1 loss. CPA is flying under the radar right now because of the 3 losses, but I expect the game against Goodpasture to be knock down drag out. When you play sombody besides a average 3A team or a top 5 1A team, report back. Hickman never got anywhere in 4A, and they won't in 2A.

ok seems you think you know a lot about football. i don't really care about Lewis's schedule it has been weak. But I believe Marshall has only received one loss. From Hickman. They beat Lawerence a team that to them last year was an even sized game. Well most of the size left and Hickman is small, but strong and fast. We have beat Westview in the spring. We beat East Roberston Who has played with Goodpasture Jo Byrns Friendship CPA, DCA and when they played Goodpasture they got more offense yards that them and could have beat them if it wasn't for turnovers. Belive i read the Tennessean every weekend and know the stats. Say what you want about Hickman's schedule, offense, defense, and what else you got to say but when comes to crunch time we will see who prevails.

On what grounds? Suing and winning are 2 different things anyway, but if you can put a multiplier on private schools and allow open zoned schools to compete with closed zoned schools mixed with privates, I don't think whoever is suing would have a leg to stand on. Some of the stuff we're doing already is arbitrary. Heck, every high school team in Tennessee is already ranked from top to bottom by multiple sources. Take the average of those and divide by 5.

If what you say is true, the TSSAA would have been sued by the private schools for the multiplier. Who decided that number and on what basis?

So basically what your saying is that teams that work hard and prevail shouldn't be put in the same divison as the inferior schools just to give everyone a chance. This isn't the special olympics it's high school football. True many private schools have a HUGE advantage over public schools. I think there should be a divison there BUT public schools are a totally different thing. That would make great sense to put all teams over five hundred in a class and all teams below five hundred in a class. Of course if your team went five and five and had to play a 10-0 team from the previous year you would have beef with that too. How about we just let everyone pick their region to play in and if you don't like some of the teams that are in it you can pick someone else to play. We could call it THE BEST OF THE LOSERS AWARD. I don't hear Milan, Cmaden or Huntingdon crying for it. What;s the difference in them and the rest. I can tell you APPROXIMATELY FIVE STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS. THEY DON'T CRY THEY GET IT DONE!

So basically what your saying is that teams that work hard and prevail shouldn't be put in the same divison as the inferior schools just to give everyone a chance. This isn't the special olympics it's high school football. True many private schools have a HUGE advantage over public schools. I think there should be a divison there BUT public schools are a totally different thing. That would make great sense to put all teams over five hundred in a class and all teams below five hundred in a class. Of course if your team went five and five and had to play a 10-0 team from the previous year you would have beef with that too. How about we just let everyone pick their region to play in and if you don't like some of the teams that are in it you can pick someone else to play. We could call it THE BEST OF THE LOSERS AWARD. I don't hear Milan, Cmaden or Huntingdon crying for it. What;s the difference in them and the rest. I can tell you APPROXIMATELY FIVE STATE CHAMPIONSHIPS. THEY DON'T CRY THEY GET IT DONE!

So basically what you're saying is that you really can't find a basis for a lawsuit. That's what I thought. Then you admit that the privates have a HUGE advantage over public schools. My guess is that you know as much about a merit based system as you know about debating the subject. Just because YOU can't see how it would work doesn't mean it couldn't.

A merit based system would not be based on record alone. Stay with me here. I'm going as slow as I can. It would be stupid to put the 10-0 teams from 5A with the ones from 1A or 2A. That's not a merit based system. A merit based system would be the top 20% of the teams in the state would be in 5A. It would be based on a power rating of some kind, not records. I can gurantee that Milan, Camden or Huntingdon's power ranking wouldn't put them in a higher classification based on the ratings that I've seen. Enrollment would be taken into consideration as would open zones and private schools. Really I don't think any of the West Tennessee schools would have anything to worry about. Alcoa and the ABC schools would in 2A. Lipscomb would in 3A. Maryville probably would in 4A. Some of the least competitive 5A schools are going to move down to 4A to make room for the DII schools and guess what? They aren't likely to be that competitive in 4A either.

Personally I don't think you understand the concept. You've all but agreed with me on the reasons why there should be one but you think that the podunk West Tennessee teams with gold balls are going to be moved to 4A or 5A or something. That's not the argument. In fact, they'd probably have a better shot at more gold balls with a merit based system. It's not different than the multiplier other than it doesn't target just private schools. Milan, Camden and Huntingdon might feel differently if they played in the ABC region or in Alcoa's region. Playing in the same region with a bunch of other closed zone privates does that.

So basically what you're saying is that you really can't find a basis for a lawsuit. That's what I thought. Then you admit that the privates have a HUGE advantage over public schools. My guess is that you know as much about a merit based system as you know about debating the subject. Just because YOU can't see how it would work doesn't mean it couldn't.

A merit based system would not be based on record alone. Stay with me here. I'm going as slow as I can. It would be stupid to put the 10-0 teams from 5A with the ones from 1A or 2A. That's not a merit based system. A merit based system would be the top 20% of the teams in the state would be in 5A. It would be based on a power rating of some kind, not records. I can gurantee that Milan, Camden or Huntingdon's power ranking wouldn't put them in a higher classification based on the ratings that I've seen. Enrollment would be taken into consideration as would open zones and private schools. Really I don't think any of the West Tennessee schools would have anything to worry about. Alcoa and the ABC schools would in 2A. Lipscomb would in 3A. Maryville probably would in 4A. Some of the least competitive 5A schools are going to move down to 4A to make room for the DII schools and guess what? They aren't likely to be that competitive in 4A either.

Personally I don't think you understand the concept. You've all but agreed with me on the reasons why there should be one but you think that the podunk West Tennessee teams with gold balls are going to be moved to 4A or 5A or something. That's not the argument. In fact, they'd probably have a better shot at more gold balls with a merit based system. It's not different than the multiplier other than it doesn't target just private schools. Milan, Camden and Huntingdon might feel differently if they played in the ABC region or in Alcoa's region. Playing in the same region with a bunch of other closed zone privates does that.

Basically the basis for the lawsuit would be the same as any other group of people that are being oppressed by ANYTHING. Basically a person that works hard and is FRUITFULL has to pay more just because they work hard. It's in a nutshell a hand out. Your ROBIN HOOD LOGIC, IS NOBEL I'll give it that. However, I guess if you look at this like TAXES then you do have a ground to stand on. Bottom line is JUST TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS ON FRIDAYS AND YOU WON'T BE HAVING THOSE DEBATES!

Basically the basis for the lawsuit would be the same as any other group of people that are being oppressed by ANYTHING. Basically a person that works hard and is FRUITFULL has to pay more just because they work hard. It's in a nutshell a hand out. Your ROBIN HOOD LOGIC, IS NOBEL I'll give it that. However, I guess if you look at this like TAXES then you do have a ground to stand on. Bottom line is JUST TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS ON FRIDAYS AND YOU WON'T BE HAVING THOSE DEBATES!

Well, can I go outside my zone and get players? Can I offer 'work study' programs so that athletes can afford to go to my school? If you think the playing field is level across the lower classifications, you're delusional.

If all it took was hard work, would be one thing, but you know that's not the only obstacle in the way. What's more is you still don't know how a merit based system works. It's not an excuse for the teams that don't try hard. It won't hinder the ones that can recruit, open up their zone or other 'incentives' that players have for transferring.

If anybody was going to sue the TSSAA for trying to level the playing field, don't you think the privates would have done so when the multiplier was instituted? Yeah. They would have. I don't know what taxes have to do with it, but I'm for a straight line tax across the board that's fair to everyone. Again, you're making my point.

Well, can I go outside my zone and get players? Can I offer 'work study' programs so that athletes can afford to go to my school? If you think the playing field is level across the lower classifications, you're delusional.

If all it took was hard work, would be one thing, but you know that's not the only obstacle in the way. What's more is you still don't know how a merit based system works. It's not an excuse for the teams that don't try hard. It won't hinder the ones that can recruit, open up their zone or other 'incentives' that players have for transferring.

If anybody was going to sue the TSSAA for trying to level the playing field, don't you think the privates would have done so when the multiplier was instituted? Yeah. They would have. I don't know what taxes have to do with it, but I'm for a straight line tax across the board that's fair to everyone. Again, you're making my point.

Maybe were trying to say the same things, just diffrent ways of saying it. All I know is that if a woman can sue McDonalds for coffee burning her lip, this isn't to far fetched

And I'm saying there are 4 lines to divide the public schools into 5 classifications. If how those lines are determined is worthy of a lawsuit, then the lowest ranked teams in 3A could be suing to be in 2A. All I'm advocating is a better method for determining the lines and who's on each side of them. The closed zoned public schools like Lewis County and Huntingdon shouldn't go anywhere unless they choose to play up and the weaker teams from big enrollment schools shouldn't expect to move down to 1A to see what they can do. As it is the enrollment numbers between the lowest ranked 3A school and the highest populated 2A school could theoretically be one student. An extra cheerleader. What makes that fair?