Riverdale at Lebanon

TDCman

I wasn't around back in those days either. My first times watching Oakland the top teams in the area were Oakland, Gallatin, Lincoln County, and Lebanon actually. We were in districts and only the top 2 teams went and they were always Oakland and Lebanon. Gallatin was a dang machine with around 100 dressed out every game and a thorn in everyone's side. They already had the indoor facility, and Calvin Short was a dang legend. David Alsup was Oakland's HC and Medley was Lebanon's. Some of the best games I have seen were b/t Oakland and Lebanon b/c they were always for the championship. Coach Moose was the DC at Lebanon, and Louie Thompson was the HC at Lincoln County at the time and STILL is. It is amazing to me that the same guy is still at the helm in LC......those were the days of Kelly Holcomb who was as polished at QB as just about anyone since. He was one of many QB legends that have come out of LC. I mean where do they get those kids????? Whatever happened to that Medley guy?

coach thompson was actually at lebanon at one time also before going to lincoln county...i am talking about WAYYY back when my dad was in high school at lebanon, he was my dads golf coach /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

think he was like class of '79 so that gives some persective to when thompson was there

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you are right. Coach Shad never beat Rankin, but he had beaten Aydelott like a red-headed step-child. He has also beaten Ferguson consistently.

I believe his record against Coach A is 1 and 1. I would not call a 9 - 7 win beating someone like a red-headed step child. I believe they both have the same number of state championships also.

I wasn't around back in those days either. My first times watching Oakland the top teams in the area were Oakland, Gallatin, Lincoln County, and Lebanon actually. We were in districts and only the top 2 teams went and they were always Oakland and Lebanon. Gallatin was a dang machine with around 100 dressed out every game and a thorn in everyone's side. They already had the indoor facility, and Calvin Short was a dang legend. David Alsup was Oakland's HC and Medley was Lebanon's. Some of the best games I have seen were b/t Oakland and Lebanon b/c they were always for the championship. Coach Moose was the DC at Lebanon, and Louie Thompson was the HC at Lincoln County at the time and STILL is. It is amazing to me that the same guy is still at the helm in LC......those were the days of Kelly Holcomb who was as polished at QB as just about anyone since. He was one of many QB legends that have come out of LC. I mean where do they get those kids????? Whatever happened to that Medley guy?

2p, do you remember the ice bowl in 89'? I was a freshman at Gallatin that year and a senior in 93' reading your post brought back a lot of good times I remember how HUGE Oakland was in 89' if I remember correctly Oakland beat Gallatin in the regular season ???

You are right. Gallatin beat us for the state championship. That was why I said Gallatin was a thorn in our side!! I could not believe how many they had dressed out on their sidelines. When that many kids came running through the signs at the beginning of the game, it was so intimidating to see all that green. Oakland was definitely huge and they had so many skill people. The Hugle kid we had at TB reminds me of the Tillery boy from LaVergne. He was low to the ground and just ran Hugle right, and Hugle left and with our big ole line, no one could stop us. A name I forgot to mention was that Coach Watson, HC at Siegel, was a member of that OHS team's big ole line. I remember that secondary was amazing. Coach Daniels ( principal now at LaVergne) was the sec coach. He taught those boys to strip the ball like you have never seen ANY team do since. I also remember knocking off many a team with the onside kick. The opposition would line up, know we were going to do it, and then look so scared and nervous. Bam would go the ball, and we came up with it every single time. They didn't have a chance. I have never seen such a physical bunch of kids. Sad thing is that this group were runner-ups 2 yrs in a row and never got a ring. They were so exciting to watch, and that was when I became a fast fan of Oakland football. I would love to watch some of those games again. That was when every game was packed and when you played LC, Gallatin, or Lebanon, you better get there early......standing room only. If it was at the Pit or at G-town, you would about get into a fight with their fans. They would sit on our side and start stuff with you. Man oh man.....great times. Football at its best. My son wanted nothing more than to be a Patriot.

Mark Medley is the Principal at Gordonsville Elementary. He currently is the offensive coordinator for the Gordonsville High School football team. The head coach is one of his former players/coaches/& successor at Lebanon, Bob Dillard.

You are right. Gallatin beat us for the state championship. That was why I said Gallatin was a thorn in our side!! I could not believe how many they had dressed out on their sidelines. When that many kids came running through the signs at the beginning of the game, it was so intimidating to see all that green. Oakland was definitely huge and they had so many skill people. The Hugle kid we had at TB reminds me of the Tillery boy from LaVergne. He was low to the ground and just ran Hugle right, and Hugle left and with our big ole line, no one could stop us. A name I forgot to mention was that Coach Watson, HC at Siegel, was a member of that OHS team's big ole line. I remember that secondary was amazing. Coach Daniels ( principal now at LaVergne) was the sec coach. He taught those boys to strip the ball like you have never seen ANY team do since. I also remember knocking off many a team with the onside kick. The opposition would line up, know we were going to do it, and then look so scared and nervous. Bam would go the ball, and we came up with it every single time. They didn't have a chance. I have never seen such a physical bunch of kids. Sad thing is that this group were runner-ups 2 yrs in a row and never got a ring. They were so exciting to watch, and that was when I became a fast fan of Oakland football. I would love to watch some of those games again. That was when every game was packed and when you played LC, Gallatin, or Lebanon, you better get there early......standing room only. If it was at the Pit or at G-town, you would about get into a fight with their fans. They would sit on our side and start stuff with you. Man oh man.....great times. Football at its best. My son wanted nothing more than to be a Patriot.

hugle ddint play football in 89 he graduated in 89 so his SR year of footbal was 88 his brother russel graduated in 87 football 86

I believe his record against Coach A is 1 and 1. I would not call a 9 - 7 win beating someone like a red-headed step child. I believe they both have the same number of state championships also.

coach A only lost to smyrna once while he was at hillsboro to. i believe its like 6-2 in favor of A