Best Pitcher in State

Funman

I dont think that there is any way to debate who is the best pitcher in the state based on highschool state tournament results or highschool play in general. To put it bluntly there are some BAD teams in highschool that quite frankly Lisa Fernandez could not win a ball game with. There are not many pitchers who would lose with perfect defense behind them, while there are some outstanding pitchers who cant do much with a team who has an average fielding % under 800. The teams are to unbalanced to be able to judge a pitcher by final outcome of highschool games. Quite frankly some of the top pitchers in the state were not even in Chattanooga for the Spring Fling Tournament. Sara Meek in my opinion is deffineatly one of the states to pitchers, but there are several comprable to her. But thanks to Cheri Kempf there are many pitchers in the state of Tennessee who are better than the highschool team they are on, the TSSAA state tournament was not nescessarily won by the top pitchers in the state of Tennessee, but by the best teams.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ASANSA

As a big softball buff for years, I have taken time for softball from my schedule and not having a daughter in this sport for years, should make me a nuetral observer. In my opinion, Meeks has as much power as anyone, Swafford has as much determination as anyone, Fruezzel has as much stamina as anyone, Wright has the shortest shorts as anyone and my overall pick for # 1, the complete package, the absolute unbelievable change-up, more movement than anyone, best all round person is Megan Elliott. Either you love her or hate her depending on what side of the field you are on.

• 5 months later...

gv, 'preciate the good words, the thing is there are a

lot of very good pitchers out there now, and each do some

things differently. Also, since most all play different

competition, have different teams behind them, it's very

hard to say who is the best without looking at all these

things while looking at their individual differences as

to types of pitches they throw, as well as their speed

and accuracy. So, to make a long thread shorter, its

easier to say the best pitcher is the one that wins

championships. With that said, I'll drop a few more names

of area pitchers that do good.

Sara Hickerson, Brittany Herald, Danielle Pieroni,

Falon Catalano, Hannah Johnson, Casey Teal, Toni Jensen,

Allison Tyree, Laura Weber, Susan Gray, Jenni Smithson,

Jenni Weeks, Christy Cunningham, Chelsea Goodwin, Elrod

from Rossview, Katherine Harrison, Ashley Myatt, Brittany

Johnson, Danielle Rhinehart, Amber Lane, Jennifer Gregory,

Amanda Vaughn, and with the ones you already mentioned (Kassie Stanfill, Amber Steen, Heather Tucker, and also Megan Rhodes) you could just about switch any of these pitchers around with any teams and you would still win a lot of ball games. Apologies to any of the girls, if I miss-spelled your name, and also I know I left off some too, but that happens when you get forgetful.

:D

[Edited by FPFanatic on 12-4-02 12:14P]

Gretchen Prugh of Maryville needs to be mentioned. She pitched 30 innings in the state tournament and allowed only one unearned run during those innings against tough competition.

She shut out Beech, Oakland, and Dickson Co. She pitched three innings of shutout ball against Soddy Daisy. She pitched 6 innings in the championship game against Dickson Co. and surrendered one unearned run in the 6th inning. She ended her junior season with an impressive 18-1 record.

[Edited by Neil on 12-4-02 11:44A]

[Edited by Neil on 12-4-02 11:46A]

• 2 weeks later...