Whitehaven (5-1) vs Houston (6-0) {8-5A battle}

kwc

Alright, I thnk this is going to be a heck of a game. I have not seen houston play much, but I have seen my whitehaven team play several times. It seems like everyone with the exception of KWC is forgetting about whitehaven's DEFENSE. Whitehaven's overall defense is very, very stout. For those who went to the Whitestation game, WhiteStations OFFENSE only scored 7 points on whitehaven's defense. White Station scored on an interception and a field goal. So I hope the sake of houston, they dont underestimate what got whitehaven to a 5-1 season. I agree, I think that Whitehaven's offense as a lot room for improvement. THe offensive playcalling for whitehaven is in my opinion key in order to be successful this season. Another question for my whitehaven fans, has whitehavens allstar linebacker back in the line up?

Oh yeah lasal2000, Tank is back! He played in the Collierville game. Man, I'll tell you what ... I love all three of those LB's. MAN ... I LOVE THIS DEFENSE!!! I thought Tank was the MLB ... but in the Collierville game he played OLB. #1, Tenarius Wright, 6'-3, 220-pounds @ OLB, #5, Derrick Webb, 6'-1", 205-pound @ MLB & #2, Larry Johnson, 6'-1", 205-pound @ OLB is probably one of the best LB corp in the city ... maybe even the state. All three are fast as lightning, strong as a bull and as mean as a junkyard dog. I LOVE to watch them play ... like heat seeking missles ... they simply explode on the ball carrier.

Man ... I'm so geeked ... I can't wait for this game! This is going to be one for the ages!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, even considering the different styles, Houston will have the better band.

Now ... THAT is just a matter of preference. Two entirely different styles. I know the Whitehaven band is good. Quality sound as well as performance formations. I'm not going to squabble about which band is better, because it depends on what style you prefer. I do know both bands are entertaining.

I couldn't just let that comment slide ... LOL because I happen to think the Whitehaven band is one of the best in the state, as far as marching bands go.

Now ... THAT is just a matter of preference. Two entirely different styles. I know the Whitehaven band is good. Quality sound as well as performance formations. I'm not going to squabble about which band is better, because it depends on what style you prefer. I do know both bands are entertaining.

I couldn't just let that comment slide ... LOL because I happen to think the Whitehaven band is one of the best in the state, as far as marching bands go.

My oldest son played trumpet in the Kirby band when Kirby was still county. We had a band director that was really good! She had good plans, and had the band in a lot of band competitions. We traveled like a football team. There was one kid, lead trumpet, that was a wonderful jazz player. So our band had some jazz pieces. We competed against Houston, G'town and Munford in one competition, beat e'm all!

My 2 bits....Whitehavens musical style is much more entertaining than what Houstons band brings to the table. That being said, yes Houston is good, and pretty loud. Like being in an elevator with 90 decibles of volume! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Ok folks, let's hear it. This game is played at Houston, so Houston will have a big crowd at this game. Both have recently beat Collierville ... Houston won 14-7, Whitehaven won 14-10. This is a VERY ... VERY BIG game for both teams. Houston is undefeated and still control their own destiny. Whitehaven has lost to White Station and they don't need another region loss. What say ye? Let's get it on. You already know who i'm pulling for .... "Respect the Haven!" ... LOL.

After reading the opinions of others on this game, and from what I've seen of both teams, I think it comes down to Whitehaven's talent and speed (offensively and defensively) vs Houstons disciplined way of playing. Houston is good, no doubt. But if Whitehaven protects the ball and avoids stupid penalties (such as personal fouls for late hits or such) then I can't see Houston winning this one. Whitehavens defense is too strong for any team to run away with the game. I think Whitehaven's offense could sit on the bench the whole game up to the 2:00 minute warning, and then only need one score to win it.

So as long as the offense plays with some focus and discpline, I think they'll be too much for Houston to overcome.

The passing attack sounds nice too, but if receivers are dropping balls they should catch, why would the coach run 60%-70% or more passing? WH does have a good run game. And if Houston can stuff the run, but lack some team speed, perhaps running wide gets the results.

Bottom line.....if WH loses, they will look back and see they did it to themselves.

After reading the opinions of others on this game, and from what I've seen of both teams, I think it comes down to Whitehaven's talent and speed (offensively and defensively) vs Houstons disciplined way of playing. Houston is good, no doubt. But if Whitehaven protects the ball and avoids stupid penalties (such as personal fouls for late hits or such) then I can't see Houston winning this one. Whitehavens defense is too strong for any team to run away with the game. I think Whitehaven's offense could sit on the bench the whole game up to the 2:00 minute warning, and then only need one score to win it.

So as long as the offense plays with some focus and discpline, I think they'll be too much for Houston to overcome.

The passing attack sounds nice too, but if receivers are dropping balls they should catch, why would the coach run 60%-70% or more passing? WH does have a good run game. And if Houston can stuff the run, but lack some team speed, perhaps running wide gets the results.

Bottom line.....if WH loses, they will look back and see they did it to themselves.

Spartansfan:

I'm not going to be so bold as to say that: "Whitehaven's offense could sit on the bench the whole game up to the 2:00 minute warning, and then only need one score to win it" because that would be just way too cocky coming from a Whitehaven fan ... but I do have a LOT of confidence in this defense. A LOT OF CONFIDENCE.

I also want to bring up another point. I know that Houston plays with discipline ... you don't become 6-0 in 5A without it. But Houston has talent as well. They were the game of the week for the Commercial Appeal and I looked at the highlights at the papers website that they showed of last weeks Houston/Collierville game. Houston returned a RB who had a broken hand that rushed for 136 yards, and they also had a WR, #10, who had 110 yards of receptions, not to mention some other players who I saw all over the field. Houston's pantry is not bare of talent ...not at all. Their OL and DL have nice size with quick feet and they go till the whistle blows. Houston has talent and speed. I think Whitehaven has more, as a whole ... but Houston has their fair share of talent too.

I want Whitehaven to play sound football. They will have to play good, sound football to win this game.

I have an appointment that I can not break tomorrow @ 6:00 PM in Whitehaven that probably won't end until about 7:30 ish. I know that I will not get to the game until after halftime. I hope this game will be on 88.5 so that I can listen to it in the car until I get there. Oh well ... MAN I'm excited!

Spartansfan ... thanks for the comments though.

Yes, I agree that Whitehaven is one of the best showstyle bands in a state that is not known for good showstyle bands. If both bands perform at halftime and Whitehaven goes on first, lets hope that they can get off the field on time so that Houston has time to perform its full show. Better yet, maybe Whitehaven will perform before or even after the game so that there won't be any issues.

But, back to the game, I like Whitehaven in this one. If Whitehaven plays very smart, within themselves, and mistake free, they may win by a couple of touchdowns. This could be that breakout game for Whitehaven.

Yes, I agree that Whitehaven is one of the best showstyle bands in a state that is not known for good showstyle bands. If both bands perform at halftime and Whitehaven goes on first, lets hope that they can get off the field on time so that Houston has time to perform its full show. Better yet, maybe Whitehaven will perform before or even after the game so that there won't be any issues.

But, back to the game, I like Whitehaven in this one. If Whitehaven plays very smart, within themselves, and mistake free, they may win by a couple of touchdowns. This could be that breakout game for Whitehaven.

Well ... when Collierville came to Whitehaven two weeks ago, their band performed first ... they were very good, by the way. The Whitehaven crowd gave them a good hearty applause for their perfomance. The Whitehaven band performed afterwards, but they had to cut their performance short. Unless it is worked out beforehand, the same thing could happen tonight. Unless Whitehaven has a shortened version of what they do.

On to the game ... You key comments are playing smart and within themselves while being mistake free. That's what each team in this game must do. I hope this is a breakout game for Whitehaven. I have much respect for Houston and anticipate a very hard faught game.

"Respect the Haven!"

Go get'em Whitehaven!

Spartansfan:

I'm not going to be so bold as to say that: "Whitehaven's offense could sit on the bench the whole game up to the 2:00 minute warning, and then only need one score to win it" because that would be just way too cocky coming from a Whitehaven fan ... but I do have a LOT of confidence in this defense. A LOT OF CONFIDENCE.

I also want to bring up another point. I know that Houston plays with discipline ... you don't become 6-0 in 5A without it. But Houston has talent as well. They were the game of the week for the Commercial Appeal and I looked at the highlights at the papers website that they showed of last weeks Houston/Collierville game. Houston returned a RB who had a broken hand that rushed for 136 yards, and they also had a WR, #10, who had 110 yards of receptions, not to mention some other players who I saw all over the field. Houston's pantry is not bare of talent ...not at all. Their OL and DL have nice size with quick feet and they go till the whistle blows. Houston has talent and speed. I think Whitehaven has more, as a whole ... but Houston has their fair share of talent too.

I want Whitehaven to play sound football. They will have to play good, sound football to win this game.

I have an appointment that I can not break tomorrow @ 6:00 PM in Whitehaven that probably won't end until about 7:30 ish. I know that I will not get to the game until after halftime. I hope this game will be on 88.5 so that I can listen to it in the car until I get there. Oh well ... MAN I'm excited!

Spartansfan ... thanks for the comments though.

told ya..... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Post #7 and #18, yes I called it. I also called that Houston would have the better band. But seriously, Whitehaven played well. I am now a believer in that football team. If they lose later this year, it will not be because they underachieved, it will simply be because they lost to a better team. I guess if I wanted to see a more competitive game, I should have went to the CBHS/Mitchell game- Congrats Mitchell. But, I am glad that I attended this one instead and witnessed what I believe was Whitehaven's breakout game this year, that should propel them deep into the playoffs. By the way, it appears to me that Whitehaven' coaches know what they are doing in regards to limiting the passing game. Whitehaven is a running team that can pass the ball, not a passing team.

Post #7 and #18, yes I called it. I also called that Houston would have the better band. But seriously, Whitehaven played well. I am now a believer in that football team. If they lose later this year, it will not be because they underachieved, it will simply be because they lost to a better team. I guess if I wanted to see a more competitive game, I should have went to the CBHS/Mitchell game- Congrats Mitchell. But, I am glad that I attended this one instead and witnessed what I believe was Whitehaven's breakout game this year, that should propel them deep into the playoffs. By the way, it appears to me that Whitehaven' coaches know what they are doing in regards to limiting the passing game. Whitehaven is a running team that can pass the ball, not a passing team.

Fourthree,

I agree with most of what you said about Whitehaven. I'll go one step further, however:

Whitehaven is a BONA FIDE State Title Contender!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I differ with you concerning Whitehaven's offensive forte'. Whitehaven has a solid running game--yes; but, their passing game is flat-out lethal! After having seen Whitehaven play 4 times this year (plus the Spring Jamboree) I'm convinced that they have one of the most potent, difficult-to-defend passing attacks in town. While their receivers are prone to drop a few passes, there simply are not too many secondaries that can contain Whitehaven's tall, talented receiving corps.

Whitehaven's running game broke out last night, vs Houston. It was kept in check, for the most part, in the games vs Melrose, White Station and Collierville. Make no mistake about it, the passing game propelled Whitehaven in those games, In fact, while Whitehaven won 2 of those 3 games, I maintain that those games would not have been nearly as close had Whitehaven passed the ball more often.

Let me get to my main point: Whitehaven's trip to the 5A State Championship game hinges on, IMHO, a more aggresive utilization of its passing game. Trust me, the top tier Title contenders will stop the run a whole lot more consistently than did Houston. Fewer of them will be able to defend a wide-open passing attack, equally well.

Anyway, fourthree--run or pass, win, lose or draw...this Whitehaven bunch is clearly a special team (the defense is even more special). At long last, they're a group of Whitehaven Tigers whose immense talents are consistently producing big wins. To "piggy-back" on what you stated--It's definitely going to take a "better team" to knock this Whitehaven bunch out of the playoffs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, KWC--are you starting to think 'Murfreesboro,' yet?

Well -- you should be, my friend!

told ya..... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Startansfan:

I missed the game. That's right ... I missed it. The whole time I was sick as a dog. Then, I turned on the Boatright High School Scoreboard talk show on 56 WHBQ @ 10:00 and what do I hear? I hear the talk show hosts say that Mitchell beat CBHS 18-16, then I hear them say that Whitehaven beats Houston by a score of 32 -6. I almost wrecked the car! Now ... you KNOW I'm excited yet sick at the same time because I really wanted to see this game.

I read the papers rendition of what happened, but I want one of you guys to tell me as well. I read where Whitehaven is winning 12-6 at the half ... and Marcus Hightower rips off a 53-yard TD midway through the 3rd, and later in the game ... he rips off a 80-yarder as well? The paper says that he had 251 total yards ... but that he had 194 of those 251 in the 2nd half! DANG! I thought it was me being a homer when I watched the Whitehvaen/Melrose highlight film and I saw him rip off a long TD against them ...but it seemed like to me ... that boy has another gear that he kicks in and just leaves folks. I dunno ... but when he gets in the clear ... he's gone! I keep tellin anybody who will listen ... all he needs to do is just ONE juke move and them GO! With that speed ... you don't need to do a lot of juking ... just GO!

I'm really pleased with that fact that Whitehaven held Houston to just 29 yards of offense in the second half. MAN-O-MAN is that defense spectacular! they limited Houston to just 130-yards of offense for the entire game. MAN! NOW THAT'S DEFENSE!

I hate I missed this game .... I hate I missed this game .... I hate that I missed this game! .... BUT .... it couldn't be helped.

Yes Spartansfan ... you did tell me ... I was just too timid to believe that Whitehaven would do it. NOT ANYMORE!

A convert! ... welcome aboard the Whitehaven express my friend. Just allow me to move over and give you some room to sit.

I agree ... this was a breakout game. To beat an UNDEFEATED Houston team IN THEIR HOUSE by the margin of victory that we did would be considered a breakout game in my book.

I made a comment before the game that even though the game was going to be played in Houston ... Houston wouldn't have home field advantage as far as attendance. I was correct in that regard wasn't I? Whitehaven did show up in numbers didn't they?

I agree with your assesment of Whitehaven's offensive philosophy. Whitehaven is a running team that can pass ... not a passing team. If you stack the box ... they will kill you in the air ... if you don't stack the box ... they can run efficiently with a RB who is a threat to take it to the house at any moment.

By the way ... I listened to a portion of the Mitchell/CBHS game on the radio ... imagine my surprise when I later tuned into the High School scorboard talk show later on and heard that Mitchell won that game. Sounds like it was a well played game by both teams. Someone had to lose. I've been trying to tell anybody who will listen that Mitchell is better then their record. A lot better.