Region 4-AAA Tournament

mjuhb

Canes - I guarantee I'm anything but the Napoleonic complex you mention. I drift to the "I call what I see, and don't call what I don't see" - and its not that complicated to become a complex.

I have no fears of saying that I make mistakes. Every ref does. The call I hate most of all is a close out of bounds call which is right in front of a bench, while I'm 15 yards down the line, as four feet go at the ball as it goes out of bounds. Does the coach in front of the bench have a better view of who actually touched it last before it crossed the touchline - absolutely. Do I get it right every time - no - to the dismay of the coach who was three feet in front of the play. But I can't judge my call based on his reaction, only on what I see - because of the hundreds of times I seen the same coaches point their way when I was the one in the better view to see the ball. Seldom will a coach actually point the way of his opponents no matter who was the last to touch the ball. VERY SELDOM! And he always point the way of his team because of bias. Fortunately, few games are seriously impacted by who takes a throw-in from in front of a bench.

What makes you biased is the fact that you actually care who wins the game and are emotionally attached to what happens in the game. I don't. Are you a coach? Are you a player? Are you a parent of a player? Then you are biased whether you believe you are or not. I know this to be true because I'm also a parent who watches soccer. And even as a referee, I see how biased I am as I watch other referees call games in which my child is playing. Despite my understanding of the rules as a referee, I become a biased parent when I watch my own child play. But hopefully, the referees should be the least biased people on the pitch.

Question? Two daughters running down the field. Attacker takes the ball into the box and is challenged by a defender. Perhaps the defender trips the attacker, or perhaps the attacker extends her arm to gain an advantage to take the shot. Whistle blows - foul. From a parent's point of view - what makes this a good or a bad call? Be honest now! Usually the only determining factor is which one is your daughter - not which foul was called. That's called bias.

What you don't seem to understand is that parents and referees don't even see the same game. They can't. Not only are our positions and angles to plays different - so you may see something I don't and I may see something you don't. But our entire perspectives of the game are different. In the above question of two daughters running down the field, I don't see a daughter fouling or being fouled. I see a foul and call it, regardless of which daughter it is.

That's the difference of perspectives between you and me, and it is bias that separates those two perspectives.

You know you are right, You are 100% right. Complaining is not constructive. Perhasp I need to try to help find a resolutionrather than fault. And Keeperfan, yeah, I thought what I saw was different from the ref and it was simply my word against his (assumed biased). That is why I started taping 100% of the games as well as a close up of the center ref and all of my observations are from reviewing what actually happened, not what the center thought thew saw.

OKNative...you too can help improve the game. Can you share the e-mail address and mailing address of the office that regulates the officials? I have four years worth of these "biased" calls I would like someone with an objjective view to review.

You know, this is great. Actually everyone with a video camera can contribute to cleaning up the poor calls. We are all waiting for that e-mail address and mailing address.

Thanks for doing your part.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know you are right, You are 100% right. Complaining is not constructive. Perhasp I need to try to help find a resolutionrather than fault. And Keeperfan, yeah, I thought what I saw was different from the ref and it was simply my word against his (assumed biased). That is why I started taping 100% of the games as well as a close up of the center ref and all of my observations are from reviewing what actually happened, not what the center thought thew saw.

OKNative...you too can help improve the game. Can you share the e-mail address and mailing address of the office that regulates the officials? I have four years worth of these "biased" calls I would like someone with an objjective view to review.

You know, this is great. Actually everyone with a video camera can contribute to cleaning up the poor calls. We are all waiting for that e-mail address and mailing address.

Thanks for doing your part.

Canes,

This is great - I have the organization and website right here. This couldn't have worked out any better for both of us. As a matter of fact, I have two for you.

They are TSSAA and the NFHS.

Thats Tennessee Secondary Schools Athletic Assication at www.tssaa.org and

The National Federation of High Schools at www.nfhs.org

Unfortunately, neither TSSAA or NFHS allows the use of any type of video replay to contest a point of fact. Sorry but it appears that your four years of tape has been a waste. And I'm guessing that in the four years of tape it never once caught you yelling to have a foul called on your daughter.

And since you're such great guy who wants to really improve things, here's another link you can go to make things better:

http://www.tssaa.org/Officials/registration.htm

Canes,

This is great - I have the organization and website right here. This couldn't have worked out any better for both of us. As a matter of fact, I have two for you.

They are TSSAA and the NFHS.

Thats Tennessee Secondary Schools Athletic Assication at www.tssaa.org and

The National Federation of High Schools at www.nfhs.org

Unfortunately, neither TSSAA or NFHS allows the use of any type of video replay to contest a point of fact. Sorry but it appears that your four years of tape has been a waste. And I'm guessing that in the four years of tape it never once caught you yelling to have a foul called on your daughter.

And since you're such great guy who wants to really improve things, here's another link you can go to make things better:

http://www.tssaa.org/Officials/registration.htm

Actually the camera stopped me from yelling.

Two, I am not contesting a call, I would just like to tidy things up.

Exactly the answer I expected. The fox watches the hen house.

Actually the camera stopped me from yelling.

Two, I am not contesting a call, I would just like to tidy things up.

Exactly the answer I expected. The fox watches the hen house.

Maybe we should give video camera's to all parents as they come into the stadium. Might be onto something here.

Contrary to what you may think, I've been trying to do something good here. To help some people better understand the perspective that some referees actually have. That we're trying to make the game better. Make it fairer. Make it safer. Maybe all referees don't have the same lofty goals. I know that I make it a better game.

I'm sorry if you didn't like the posting on biased parents. Perhaps I touched a nerve on the reasons we do what we do. Its certainly easier to blame a referee than to admit somebody actually committed or didn't commit a foul.

I just know its not some big evil plot against one team or the other. Sometimes we just see things differently. Its kind of like the phenomenon of when 10 different people witness an accident and all 10 of them see something different. I'm just telling you that the different perspective thing is real. I've been the parent, and the ref, and am still both, and its not meant to be some referee telling you that you're blind or didn't see what you saw.

And unfortunately, you can't tidy things up with a video camera. Take you're camera down to your coach at halftime, and he'll get a red card. I don't know why, that's just the rules. But its not my fault you can't tidy things up that way - I'm not a fox and I'm not in a henhouse. That's soccer. And I'm sorry that's the answer you expected.

Keeperfan15, let me ask you a question. The last time another girl held your daughter's jersey and the whistle wasn't blown - did you yell from the stands at the referee to blow his whistle and a foul? Its okay, most parents do.

For the most part, I don't yell at officials anymore. In 12+ years, not one has changed a call. And it annoys my wife.

Now for part two of the question. The last time your daughter held another girl's jersey and the whistle wasn't blown - did you yell from the stands at the referee to blow his whistle and call a foul on your daughter? My guess is no. Maybe you're daughter doesn't hold jerseys, so put in whatever foul you want to - tripping, pushing, holding, a reckless tackle.

KeeperFan . You can check my posts. I think that keepers coming out cleats up should be called more, my daughter included. And yes, I have yelled for my daughter to be cautioned. I had rather her be cautioned early on a slide with no contact than a red when the center notices it when there is a player in the box. (Improper techniques that they learn early are similar to biting your nails. Tough habit to break.

Perhaps you need to do like I did and quit complaining - do something about it. Become one yourself.

Don't think I could keep up with U60's much less U18's.

Sorry, the shirt pulling was not meant to be a poke. Recently had the opportunity to watch one of the teams that I had seen from the stands pulling jerseys at field level, and honest to goodness, they either quit doing it the second game, or from the field level perspective you can't see it.

I was not trying to throw you under the bus, but recently read a post from an official stating that dirty play during a game was the fault of the players and the coaches. There was nothing that the officials could do. I agree that the weight of responsibility of the actions fall on the players and coaches, but blow your whistle. Faced with a soft red and subsequent two game suspension, the official can stop it for that game.

back too topic

riverdale is leading siegel 2-1 with about 3 minute to go

siegel is a man down because of a maggie trolliger red card

i will assume its a final because coach hasn't called me back

hopefully i understood him correctly

if it did stand shelbyville at riverdale 7:00 and siegel at tullahoma 6:30

well i hate break it to you but sooner or later someone will mention that maggie won't play on tuesday

unfortunate. another big blow to the stars. however riverdale came out and seemed like once again that they wanted it more. nothing you can do or say can take that away. unfortunately they had to play a man down for the game. it's always a bummer to see that in a district final. congrats warriors.