AAA Region Tournament

mjuhb

While District 11 has proven dominant over District 12 on the girls' soccer field soccer is not the only sport in which these Districts compete against one another to advance on in post season play. District 12 tends to even the score in boys basketball. Year in and year out two District 12 teams tend to advance on to sub state over the District 11 representatives. Often times leaving two other very strong D-12 teams at home. Welcome to playing in a tough district.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry you feel those teams ran up the score. If you had seen the games, you would understand the disparity in ability and talent. Did you notice The Tennessean article where a Franklin RESERVE scored four goals? Nothing intentional, just a fact that both games were total mismatches.

So right, BT Mafia.

JV scored more than varsity did. 5 - JV to 2- Varsity.

This is the Region Semi's. Alot of these girls don't even get to play. Let alone in the playoffs.

If I'm in the reserves, I'm not going out there and play keep away. I'm going to try and impress the coach and score a playoff goal. Or as a reserve defender, try and stop a starter.

Thats the way these girls see it. Not as running up a score.

As far as the Williamson Co./ Davidson Co. issue. That a whole other can of worms.

This topic was discussed last week with three referees who were not officiating the game that we were watching. They shared that there is a now a "Mercy Rule" for TSSAA in soccer. The coach whose team is with the advantage may ask the coach of the team at the disadvantage should they abbreviate the game after half. It is an agreement that the situation can be remedied, and dignity can be maintained.

I took a little time to search for this, but was unable to locate it. Can any of our listening officials comment?

So right, BT Mafia.

JV scored more than varsity did. 5 - JV to 2- Varsity.

This is the Region Semi's. Alot of these girls don't even get to play. Let alone in the playoffs.

If I'm in the reserves, I'm not going out there and play keep away. I'm going to try and impress the coach and score a playoff goal. Or as a reserve defender, try and stop a starter.

Thats the way these girls see it. Not as running up a score.

As far as the Williamson Co./ Davidson Co. issue. That a whole other can of worms.

Didn't see the game, so can't comment other that it is the coach who controls whether or not a team with a big lead will continue to score, or play keep away. With many JV on some teams better than the Varsity of others, simply putting JV in and letting them loose, can be just as unsporting as leaving the Varsity in. Can't blame the players if the coach doesn't rein them in.

Are you sure of this fact? NEVER??? Does that include this season?

McGavock (District 12)

beat Hillsboro (District 11) 1-0, and

beat Overton (District 11) 4-0

The scores you refer to are during the regular season. The discussion was focused on the Region Tournament. That was what I was refering to. Sorry about the confusion.

While District 11 has proven dominant over District 12 on the girls' soccer field soccer is not the only sport in which these Districts compete against one another to advance on in post season play. District 12 tends to even the score in boys basketball. Year in and year out two District 12 teams tend to advance on to sub state over the District 11 representatives. Often times leaving two other very strong D-12 teams at home. Welcome to playing in a tough district.

True, but girls soccer IS the only sport that we are discussing on this thread. Also, the title of the thread is AAA Region Tournament and that is what is being discussed here.

Sorry if the statement that I posted infuriated you or seemed like disrespect to the District 12 girls. That was not my intent. I think it is unfortunate for the girls of District 12 that it always works out that way.

The scores you refer to are during the regular season. The discussion was focused on the Region Tournament. That was what I was refering to. Sorry about the confusion.

I thought previous few postings on the discussion were commenting on the disparity between Nashville and Williamson County soccer in general, not just playoffs, which is why I commented. Sorry

This topic was discussed last week with three referees who were not officiating the game that we were watching. They shared that there is a now a "Mercy Rule" for TSSAA in soccer. The coach whose team is with the advantage may ask the coach of the team at the disadvantage should they abbreviate the game after half. It is an agreement that the situation can be remedied, and dignity can be maintained.

I took a little time to search for this, but was unable to locate it. Can any of our listening officials comment?

In some rec leagues, when a team goes up by five, they have to start taking players off the field for each goal the differential increases above the 5, up to a maximum of three players off the field.

I found an article on a mercy rule for football and basketball, but soccer was not mentioned:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/Jun/06/tssaa-shows-mercy/

TSSAA passed it in June, which is also when they put in the two game suspension rule for ejections.

True, but girls soccer IS the only sport that we are discussing on this thread. Also, the title of the thread is AAA Region Tournament and that is what is being discussed here.

Sorry if the statement that I posted infuriated you or seemed like disrespect to the District 12 girls. That was not my intent. I think it is unfortunate for the girls of District 12 that it always works out that way.

No disrespect taken. I was just commenting on the restructuring of the districts. This might alleviate problems in soccer by "spreading the wealth" of good soccer schools in Williamson County, but it would create problems in other sports. I know this IS a soccer thread, only bringing in another sport to help make a point.

Also, as was pointed out earlier, until the Metro girls playing soccer start playing club they will continue to get dominated.

The rule states that if both coaches are in agreement, that you can cut the game short in the second half.

BigG, you are correct that the coaches can, if in agreement, shorten a half or an entire game, but I believe the mutual agreement has to be made before the game begins, or before the 2nd half begins.