Who is having a worse season, the New Orleans Saints ot the Briarcrest

What has happened to the Briarcrest Saints? I thought this year's senior class was supposed to be the best class ever at Briarcrest, at least that is what Hugh Freeze said when they were freshmen. I guess they aren't as good as he thought they were. I am afraid that it is going to take years to rebuild the football program at Briarcrest. I hate to see a once powerful program be so down.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What has happened to the Briarcrest Saints? I thought this year's senior class was supposed to be the best class ever at Briarcrest, at least that is what Hugh Freeze said when they were freshmen. I guess they aren't as good as he thought they were. I am afraid that it is going to take years to rebuild the football program at Briarcrest. I hate to see a once powerful program be so down.

In your opinion, what talent do the underclassman have? Last Monday I sat through a monsoon during the ECS Briarcrest JV game. It appeared to me that Briarcrest did have several good athletes on both sides of the ball.

In your opinion, what talent do the underclassman have? Last Monday I sat through a monsoon during the ECS Briarcrest JV game. It appeared to me that Briarcrest did have several good athletes on both sides of the ball.

I don't know about the underclassman, so I can't comment on their talent. However, at Briarcrest it doesn't seem to matter about the talent. What happens is that the influential families kids will get to play even if they aren't as talented as someone of more modest means. If your dad works in the office at Briarcrest or is on the Board or gives a lot of money to the school you will play no matter what, even if there is a more talented player that should play ahead of you.

I know that this sort of thing happens at other private schools, but at Briarcrest it has just about ruined the football program. What needs to happen is they should play the best players and tell the parents to stay out of the coache's office. I don't have a problem with Coach Powers' son playing at all. He should not be penalized because his dad is the coach.

a "once powerful program" (referring to briarcrest) that used to play frickin' ecs for state championships?...give me a break. its tough when you go from playing ecs in a title game, and not beating them everytime, to having to play and beat Christian Brothers, MUS and the other Super 7 schools, just to make the playoffs. point made.

in my opinion, even had freeze stayed at briarcrest, i dont see him doing anything differently than what has happened to that "once powerful program."

a "once powerful program" (referring to briarcrest) that used to play frickin' ecs for state championships?...give me a break. its tough when you go from playing ecs in a title game, and not beating them everytime, to having to play and beat Christian Brothers, MUS and the other Super 7 schools, just to make the playoffs. point made.

in my opinion, even had freeze stayed at briarcrest, i dont see him doing anything differently than what has happened to that "once powerful program."

If I remember right, the last year he was here BCS did beat Christian Brothers and did go on and win the state title. When was the last time Christian Brothers won a state title in football? Point made. It is a little unfair to be critical of Briarcrest because they were in the lower division, which I believe is based on the number of students at a school. They did what they were supposed to do, that is play for state titles almost every year.

I can safely say that Coach Freeze was a much better coach than Joe Hamstra. And I don't think you can argue that. What hurt Briarcrest other than Freeze leaving and moving up to the larger school division was the hiring of Bill McGee as president of Briarcrest. The changes that he made have been very damaging. When you have well over 100 students leave your school to go to other schools it is a problem. Gee I wonder if that had anything to do with them running him off.

I don't know about the underclassman, so I can't comment on their talent. However, at Briarcrest it doesn't seem to matter about the talent. What happens is that the influential families kids will get to play even if they aren't as talented as someone of more modest means. If your dad works in the office at Briarcrest or is on the Board or gives a lot of money to the school you will play no matter what, even if there is a more talented player that should play ahead of you.

I know that this sort of thing happens at other private schools, but at Briarcrest it has just about ruined the football program. What needs to happen is they should play the best players and tell the parents to stay out of the coache's office. I don't have a problem with Coach Powers' son playing at all. He should not be penalized because his dad is the coach.

You're correct. I have seen it at other schools before. I know of one instance where it took about 5 to 6 years to recover. Students/Athletes left, coaching staff turned over, etc. it was a real disaster. Resolution came when the Headmaster was replaced. Only then did the situation begin to slowly reverse itself. With the addition of other private schools offering parents more choices, the movement maybe more prevalent now than in years past.

The process of change started at the top. It was not without some pain. Briarcrest has some great facilities and some good people. I hope it works out.

You're correct. I have seen it at other schools before. I know of one instance where it took about 5 to 6 years to recover. Students/Athletes left, coaching staff turned over, etc. it was a real disaster. Resolution came when the Headmaster was replaced. Only then did the situation begin to slowly reverse itself. With the addition of other private schools offering parents more choices, the movement maybe more prevalent now than in years past.

The process of change started at the top. It was not without some pain. Briarcrest has some great facilities and some good people. I hope it works out.

You're right, Briarcrest does have some good people and great facilities. Carly Powers is a good man who cares about Briarcrest. I hate to see him going through such a tough season.

CBHS is also a great school. I have several friends whose kids go there. I think Coach Locastro is a fine man and a very good coach. I wish them much success in football.

Moving up a division is always hard, at whatever level. Some schools never fully regain the sports success they may have previously had ( since that is what we are discussing here ) after such moves. And if they do, it can .take a while. You also have instances where some families will decide to enroll their kid at a smaller school if they think it will increase the chances of more playing time, and or a successful couple of seasons .

I also think that it is a very difficult thing to adjust to a new coaching staff when the previous one had great success ( Alabama fans can attest to that). Most of us , of course, cannot comment on the internal issues mentioned above, except to say that it is tough to deal with such bossy parents at a private school unless there are strong administraters/coaches that have the full backing of the parents and board.

If I remember right, the last year he was here BCS did beat Christian Brothers and did go on and win the state title. When was the last time Christian Brothers won a state title in football? Point made. It is a little unfair to be critical of Briarcrest because they were in the lower division, which I believe is based on the number of students at a school. They did what they were supposed to do, that is play for state titles almost every year.

I can safely say that Coach Freeze was a much better coach than Joe Hamstra. And I don't think you can argue that. What hurt Briarcrest other than Freeze leaving and moving up to the larger school division was the hiring of Bill McGee as president of Briarcrest. The changes that he made have been very damaging. When you have well over 100 students leave your school to go to other schools it is a problem. Gee I wonder if that had anything to do with them running him off.

the last year he was there was the FIRST and ONLY time briarcrest has ever beaten Christian Brothers in football (dont you remember the cool t-shirts that were made in celebration of that monumental win?)...and then they went on to defeat ecs in the state championship game. now go back and look at how many years those two schools (ecs and briarcrest) played each other in the "state title" game since the public-private split. point made, genius.

freeze may very well be a better coach than hamstra, but i honestly dont care, nor will the thought of freeze having stayed at briarcrest change my opinion that they would have faired better versus the Super 7 schools.

Moving up a division is always hard, at whatever level. Some schools never fully regain the sports success they may have previously had ( since that is what we are discussing here ) after such moves. And if they do, it can .take a while. You also have instances where some families will decide to enroll their kid at a smaller school if they think it will increase the chances of more playing time, and or a successful couple of seasons .

I also think that it is a very difficult thing to adjust to a new coaching staff when the previous one had great success ( Alabama fans can attest to that). Most of us , of course, cannot comment on the internal issues mentioned above, except to say that it is tough to deal with such bossy parents at a private school unless there are strong administraters/coaches that have the full backing of the parents and board.

Well said. I don't know Carly Powers, but I have heard from many that he is a good man. Moving up is difficult. Combine that with internal strife, and you've got a lingering, comprehensive problem. No easy, quick fixes.

There are many examples of churches having these types of problems as well. Again, good luck to the Saints.

the last year he was there was the FIRST and ONLY time briarcrest has ever beaten Christian Brothers in football (dont you remember the cool t-shirts that were made in celebration of that monumental win?)...and then they went on to defeat ecs in the state championship game. now go back and look at how many years those two schools (ecs and briarcrest) played each other in the "state title" game since the public-private split. point made, genius.

freeze may very well be a better coach than hamstra, but i honestly dont care, nor will the thought of freeze having stayed at briarcrest change my opinion that they would have faired better versus the Super 7 schools.

I did look at the records and I did see how many times Briarcrest and ECS have played for and won state titles. Many times between them.

However, you failed to answer my question, which was, when was the last time CBHS won a state football title? So I guess the real question is, based on your glowing acclaim of the "Super 7" how many state titles in football has CBHS won in the last ten years against the "Super 7", sounds to me like it is the Super 6.