millington football

shook27

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how far can they go?

Hey! Good to finally see someone from Millington pop in! I haven't seen Millington play, but have seen the scores and I'd say you have 7-5A hands down. How much of a contender Millington is will become apparent when we get into the playoffs. Maybe you can fill us in on some of Millington's strengths and potential.

Munford W 27-0

Arlington R W 47-0

Craigmont R W 35-0

Memphis Central R W 41-14

Collierville W 26-14

Bartlett R W 26-7

Ridgeway R W 35-0

Memphis Overton R W 42-6

well, there's some numbers. not that those teams are good or bad, but points are points either way. the biggest threat is our running backs. Coach Hawkins theory (im guessing) is that if the running game works, why throw the ball. im not saying randon fryerson cant throw, but when he does its for a TD. The kicker can kick 40+ yards on a good day. the defense is phenominal. i believe they are ranked 3 in the state in 7-5a, so millington is definately making improvments every day.

My 2 cents ( my opinion is worth even less than that ); none of those teams , outside Collerville, is all that strong this year. This is not region 7's best year. Conversely, that is not your fault, and you guys have gone out and beat everyone very convincingly. You have not played a Whitehaven ( wow ) or a Houston, but you have beat the crud out of everone you should have. So seems like you guys have one of your best teams in a long time, and it will be interesting if you have to play us ( WSHS ) or Whitehaven ( goodluck ) or Houston.

And I can honestly say that if you guys make it past any of those 3, then I will travel to where ever you play next and be rooting for you. I really want a team from 7 or 8 to win it all this year !

My 2 cents ( my opinion is worth even less than that ); none of those teams , outside Collerville, is all that strong this year. This is not region 7's best year. Conversely, that is not your fault, and you guys have gone out and beat everyone very convencingly. You have not played a Whitehaven ( wow ) or a Houston, but you have beat the crud out of everone you should have. So seems like you guys have one of your best teams in a long time, and it will be interesting if you have to play us ( WSHS ) or Whitehaven ( goodluck ) or Houston.

And I can honestly say that if you guys make it past any of those 3, then I will travel to where ever you play next and be rooting for you. I really want a team from 7 or 8 to win it all this year !

Just to piggyback on my man stuman89's comments, here is how I see it, and probably everybody else who follows regions 7 and 8 in 5A. Millington will have to beat three 8-5A teams in a row to get to the semi-final game. I think Millington will have to beat Collierville 1st. Beating the same team twice in a season is rough ... but doable. If Millington clears that hurdle ... then they will host Whitehaven .... most likely, granted Whitehaven has to beat Bolton in the 1st round ... and I think they will. THAT is where the rubber meets the road. IF,and that is a BIG IF, IF Millington gets past Whitehaven ... I'm thinking they won't ... but IF they do ... then they will probably have to face White Station. We will see ... but I honestly think that Whitehaven and White Station will be playing each other in the third round.

BUT ... WHOEVER wins the region 7 vs 8 preliminary rounds will be better then the representative from region 5 and 6 in 5A. Just my opinion. I think we will have either White Station, Millington, or Whitehaven in the championship game.

Just to piggyback on my man stuman89's comments, here is how I see it, and probably everybody else who follows regions 7 and 8 in 5A. Millington will have to beat three 8-5A teams in a row to get to the semi-final game. I think Millington will have to beat Collierville 1st. Beating the same team twice in a season is rough ... but doable. If Millington clears that hurdle ... then they will host Whitehaven .... most likely, granted Whitehaven has to beat Bolton in the 1st round ... and I think they will. THAT is where the rubber meets the road. IF,and that is a BIG IF, IF Millington gets past Whitehaven ... I'm thinking they won't ... but IF they do ... then they will probably have to face White Station. We will see ... but I honestly think that Whitehaven and White Station will be playing each other in the third round.

BUT ... WHOEVER wins the region 7 vs 8 preliminary rounds will be better then the representative from region 5 and 6 in 5A. Just my opinion. I think we will have either White Station, Millington, or Whitehaven in the championship game.

well kwc, I've gone over these senarios as well, and every way I try to spin it, it keeps coming up the same way. I also see Whitehaven/White Station in the 3rd round. I don't really feel comfy about that game, for some reason.... /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

But I try to think these things through being impartial, and maybe that's an impossible task. But I just end up with the same results. And I'll take it a step further. The Whitehaven/White Station game really stacks up to me as a toss up, with the winner seeing game 15, and having a decent shot at winning that one too. Although I am less prone to give a west team the championship since there will undoubtedly be a proven team from the east or central that will be wanting the gold ball too.

I'm not overlooking Millington, I just feel like they'll meet Whitehaven, and won't get past you.

well kwc, I've gone over these senarios as well, and every way I try to spin it, it keeps coming up the same way. I also see Whitehaven/White Station in the 3rd round. I don't really feel comfy about that game, for some reason.... /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

But I try to think these things through being impartial, and maybe that's an impossible task. But I just end up with the same results. And I'll take it a step further. The Whitehaven/White Station game really stacks up to me as a toss up, with the winner seeing game 15, and having a decent shot at winning that one too. Although I am less prone to give a west team the championship since there will undoubtedly be a proven team from the east or central that will be wanting the gold ball too.

I'm not overlooking Millington, I just feel like they'll meet Whitehaven, and won't get past you.

I agree wholeheartedly. The 1st White Station/Whitehaven game left me breathless. I can't imagine how a 2nd match-up would go. It's time like these that you wish the playoffs were set up differently so that the dominant teams from the same region wouldn't have to eliminate one another. Oh wel ... it is what it is.

so basically there is no chance for millington to beat whitehaven?

Oh yeah.....Millington's chanes are excellent! Let me assure you that Millington is being taken seriously as a contender. There's two factors forming my opinion of either WS vs Millington, or WH vs Millington. 1st, since I'm a WS fan, I think it's really tough to give a completely impartial opinion, consequently, WS gets the nod from me if we play you.

The 2nd factor is that I have seen WH play, they have also played WS and we have some common opponents. So I feel like I have an idea of how good WH is. Regarding Millington, I haven't seen them play, and haven't seen how Millington competes when playing common opponents, since there haven't been any. You have played C'ville, and we play them tomorrow night. But that's it so far.

I feel like Millington is a step ahead of teams like Houston, G'town, C'ville, Cordova, Bolton, etc. I also feel like Millington is right at the level of WS and WH. It's just really tough to accurately assess how good a team is unless you've seen them play other quality teams. So don't take my thoughts on this too seriously.....after all, if games were so predictable, there'd be no reason to play them.

we all know millington has NEVER gotten any respect. ever. i dont know why it is that way. finally after a couple winning seasons in different sports they are finally getting respect. i think that is going to work in millington's favor this year. yes whitehaven and white station are good. they have always been good. but i think that millington has the momentum this year to do something that they have not done in the past. it always ended up being that millington lost in the playoffs because they were not mentally prepared. this is their year.

you may not have seen millington play, but i have seen whitehaven play. at times it was sloppy. there were mistakes that could have cost them the game if they were playing someone decent. that is going to be the downfall of one of these 3 teams. they are going to be close and hard fought. but again, i think that millington has this momentum that you just cant duplicate anywhere else.

Well , you have a better perspective than me. I respect WHS's talent very much but I have not seen both of you play, so I respect your analysis. And I agree with your point, it may be as simple as who makes the fewest mistakes.

We ( WSHS ) have 2 very difficult games coming up that I am worried about as it is. Assuming that the three of us make it that far, then we should have some good games. Let's just hope none of us stumble before then. As to your point about respect, I can honestly say that neither I, nor any of the ( few ) West TN posters have ever displayed any disrespect to Millington. I wish you well, and I sincerely hope that if nothing else one of is playing for the ring !