staph infection

rcpatriot

With recent media attention being placed on staph infections, I'm getting hammered by parents regarding what precautions I'm going to take this upcoming season to insure that my wrestlers aren't infected by this condition. As requested by Ronnie Carter, I've posted the 14 suggestions from the NFHS rules book in our wrestling room. I've reviewed this with my wrestlers and parents, but the "scare" was too much for 3 potentially good wrestlers/parents.

One request that was made was for a disinfected mat of sorts to be placed next to the mats for the wrestlers to wipe their shoes on when returning to the mat from the locker room, bathroom, etc. I have looked for such a mat and have only found "The Sole Mat". Anyone have used or currently use this system? Any other suggestions to tackle this concern?

This new attention, while a valid concern, is most notably being portrayed as a wrestling problem. If each of us, as coaches, parents, and supporters of this sport aren't careful this could destroy some programs.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At our school we used to wash the mats daily, were required to take showers with antibacterial soap, wernt allowed to share towels, and had a piece of carpet we would spray with a water and bleach solution for wiping feet. We rarely had skin problems.

This could be a real problem for my sons school this year. I believe the dance team

was allowed to use the mats for their practice last year?? I suggest that a mandate from the state

should be sent to each and every school forcing "documentation" of daily mat cleaning before

every practice or match! They force the weight mgt. program with documentation for health reasons,

why not mandate cleaning protocals????

Waiting for the first wrestler to go down should not be an issue.

Every possible preventative should be used to fight this infection.

Numerous wrestlers were fighting ringworm last year. We need to become more proactive about

this potential problem!

This could be a real problem for my sons school this year. I believe the dance team

was allowed to use the mats for their practice last year?? I suggest that a mandate from the state

should be sent to each and every school forcing "documentation" of daily mat cleaning before

every practice or match! They force the weight mgt. program with documentation for health reasons,

why not mandate cleaning protocals????

Waiting for the first wrestler to go down should not be an issue.

Every possible preventative should be used to fight this infection.

Numerous wrestlers were fighting ringworm last year. We need to become more proactive about

this potential problem!

Although Staph is a problem, MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) Is getting more attention now days. The reason MRSA is getting more attention is because MRSA is Resistant to antibiotics. The same antibiotics that are used to treat Staph are non effective to MRSA which is why its deadly. The ways to prevent this are quite simple, but can be complicated when you go to another school's gym and they do not practice this same hygiene as you do. Clean mats BEFORE and AFTER practice and matches. Make kids take a shower BEFORE they leave the school. Make them wash their practice gear (including head gear) after EVERY practice.

Although Staph is a problem, MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus) Is getting more attention now days. The reason MRSA is getting more attention is because MRSA is Resistant to antibiotics. The same antibiotics that are used to treat Staph are non effective to MRSA which is why its deadly. The ways to prevent this are quite simple, but can be complicated when you go to another school's gym and they do not practice this same hygiene as you do. Clean mats BEFORE and AFTER practice and matches. Make kids take a shower BEFORE they leave the school. Make them wash their practice gear (including head gear) after EVERY practice.

Anyone know Mr. Carter or TSSAA well enough to get this addressed in TN??

With recent media attention being placed on staph infections, I'm getting hammered by parents regarding what precautions I'm going to take this upcoming season to insure that my wrestlers aren't infected by this condition. As requested by Ronnie Carter, I've posted the 14 suggestions from the NFHS rules book in our wrestling room. I've reviewed this with my wrestlers and parents, but the "scare" was too much for 3 potentially good wrestlers/parents.One request that was made was for a disinfected mat of sorts to be placed next to the mats for the wrestlers to wipe their shoes on when returning to the mat from the locker room, bathroom, etc. I have looked for such a mat and have only found "The Sole Mat". Anyone have used or currently use this system? Any other suggestions to tackle this concern?

I saw that mat system @ CU this summer. They fill it with a disen. and they walk on it before entering the main mat area.

what about wrestling rooms that don't have shower facilities?

I don't disagree with anything that has been mentioned thus far, but again, this isn't a new problem. I wrestled for 4+ years and no one ever got staph infections. I've coached now for over 10 years and no one on my team has every gotten staph infections. Now, I played football for 4 years and each year we had several incidences of staph infections.

If this is going to be addressed by TSSAA and some kind of mandate is put in to place, it certainly needs to be addressed with all sports taken in to consideration. It's not just a wrestling problem.

Staph has been more of an issue in football. Those shoulder pads and helmets are sweated in everyday and never get washed. They wash their pants and jerseys, but the pads themselves are rarely cleaned. Also, the sheer numbers of football players compared to wrestlers often leave a locker room stagnated, especially after two a days!

We had a boy get Staph infection, not my family- our old HS team. It was from another schools mat at a two day tournament. Everyone thought he just had a bad black eye. However it swelled and his mom carried him to the ER and he had staph on/around his eye. He was out for the rest of the season, oh yeah, the tournament was one of the first of the season. /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I know a lot of school clean their mats, I see them before tournaments and matches. However they clean them wrong. What good does it do to push a mop in front of you while wearing your sneakers that you wear outside? Why are kids wearing their wrestling shoes outside? I know of one private school that did not clean their mats all year until half their wrestlers got ringworm, THEN they cleaned their mats!! /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> I'm sure those parents assume that all their money is covering a clean mat.