SO CALLED BIG TIME H.S. FOOTBALL

cobrajet

If that is what it takes you can have it!

I read the article and if these allegations are true it is aweful. I wonder how a high school coach can afford to support the family that he lives with and his "secrect family", I didn't know high school coaches made that much. I college coaches do.

The players getting special treatment with grades, etc. is not anything new or only happens in Hoover. It is a reality that many programs look the other way on a lot of issues when it comes to athletes. Think about all of the thousands of dollars private schools give in "financial aid" to athletes. If the TSSAA were a serious organization and wanted to enforce the rules about recruiting there wouldn't be very many private school programs that wouldn't be guilyu of breaking the rules.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not just private schools recruiting, some public schools recruit as well. I have had "first -hand" knowledge and I KNOW FOR A FACT that at least one public high school recruits, or at least they recruited one player a few years back. It was kind of amusing watching it all play out actually.

I do not know anything about Hoover's coach, but is he really proving anything? If you give the "average high school coach" the athletes that he gets every year then you should win state at least once in every three or four years. To me, it is not very different than that little league team a few years back, playing in a 12 year old league and had a 16 year old pitcher. Gimme a break. Some people have such pathetic lives.

Look at it like this: If you ranked every athlete in the state by position, then give any high school coach the #10 ranked player by his position for every position on the field, he's gonna kick your butt 9 times out of 10. That is basically what Hoover High gets every year. Area schools do not get that many top athletes on one team in any given century, let alone year after year.

It's not just private schools recruiting, some public schools recruit as well. I have had "first -hand" knowledge and I KNOW FOR A FACT that at least one public high school recruits, or at least they recruited one player a few years back. It was kind of amusing watching it all play out actually.

I do not know anything about Hoover's coach, but is he really proving anything? If you give the "average high school coach" the athletes that he gets every year then you should win state at least once in every three or four years. To me, it is not very different than that little league team a few years back, playing in a 12 year old league and had a 16 year old pitcher. Gimme a break. Some people have such pathetic lives.

Look at it like this: If you ranked every athlete in the state by position, then give any high school coach the #10 ranked player by his position for every position on the field, he's gonna kick your butt 9 times out of 10. That is basically what Hoover High gets every year. Area schools do not get that many top athletes on one team in any given century, let alone year after year.

You are right DarkHorse. I only spoke about private school recruiting because my son went to a private school in the Memphis area, where recruiting is rampant. I have heard of some public schools recruiting, but not nearly at the level of the private schools. The public schools in memphis are so bad that everyone is trying get out of them.

I read the article and if these allegations are true it is aweful. I wonder how a high school coach can afford to support the family that he lives with and his "secrect family", I didn't know high school coaches made that much. I college coaches do.

The players getting special treatment with grades, etc. is not anything new or only happens in Hoover. It is a reality that many programs look the other way on a lot of issues when it comes to athletes. Think about all of the thousands of dollars private schools give in "financial aid" to athletes. If the TSSAA were a serious organization and wanted to enforce the rules about recruiting there wouldn't be very many private school programs that wouldn't be guilyu of breaking the rules.

When I lived in AL about six years ago the Birmingham News did an article about the top ten highest paid public school coaches in the state. Number 10 on that list made $80,000 per year. Propst is somewhere in the $90,000 - $100,000 range and this is without any of the booster club perks. The assistant principle he had the supposed affair with makes around $97,000. You are talkin about one of the richest communities in the state and they do not have the private schools like Tennessee, so a lot of money goes into the public school system. The Hoover football booster club raises $500,000 per year. Right or wrong, high school footbal in Alabama is a bigger deal than in TN, though not as big as in Florida and Texas.

When I lived in AL about six years ago the Birmingham News did an article about the top ten highest paid public school coaches in the state. Number 10 on that list made $80,000 per year. Propst is somewhere in the $90,000 - $100,000 range and this is without any of the booster club perks. The assistant principle he had the supposed affair with makes around $97,000. You are talkin about one of the richest communities in the state and they do not have the private schools like Tennessee, so a lot of money goes into the public school system. The Hoover football booster club raises $500,000 per year. Right or wrong, high school footbal in Alabama is a bigger deal than in TN, though not as big as in Florida and Texas.

I dont see how it could get much bigger without tv than in TN.

So TN teams shouldn't travel because Hoover High has an unethical coach?

No . What I am saying is that some people think that to be a successful program that you have to play outside the state which is ok if that is what the team want`s to do, but you open yourself up to this tempetation and a lot of coaches fall into the same problems and highschool is no place for such things like this to happen . /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

People talk about how good Hoover is, when actually(from a very reliable source), they're in a middle-of-the-road division in Alabama, and they are obviously not even the best team in the state, and, yes, Tennessee's best could hang with Alabama's best, btw, why would a high school not go out of the state, the games always bring a lot of attention(college and media) to the schools playing, and it gives a team a sense of representing where they come from

I don't think the issue is playing teams outside of your area or state, I think it is having an unethical coach and the pressures of being an MTV darling. With the exposure came big pressure and now the program is paying for it.

Rebels you are exactly right. The Head Coach opened his program to all this scrutiny and the kids are paying for his arrogance. I wont commit on any alledged wrongdoings because they have to be proven first but i will say that top programs do not have to "prove" themselves nationally by playing out of state teams. This is high school football, not the BCS. I bet Southlake Carroll is seriously regretting bringing Miami Northwestern to town and ending their 49 game winning streak. What you do in state is all that matters, why do think Maryville and South Panola have yet to take on other USA today teams. They dont have to.