SO CALLED BIG TIME H.S. FOOTBALL

cobrajet

People talk about how good Hoover is, when actually(from a very reliable source), they're in a middle-of-the-road division in Alabama, and they are obviously not even the best team in the state, and, yes, Tennessee's best could hang with Alabama's best, btw, why would a high school not go out of the state, the games always bring a lot of attention(college and media) to the schools playing, and it gives a team a sense of representing where they come from

High school programs dont need to play on ESPN to get noticed or be on MTV, for scholarships, who cares. On the first season of Two a Days none of those kids got D-1 offers. They were decent high school players who won the state as a team but not individual world beaters. One kid went to to Furman but not because of MTV. Repete couldnt get a sniff at college, ends up walking on at Auburn then quitting.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rebels you are exactly right. The Head Coach opened his program to all this scrutiny and the kids are paying for his arrogance. I wont commit on any alledged wrongdoings because they have to be proven first but i will say that top programs do not have to "prove" themselves nationally by playing out of state teams. This is high school football, not the BCS. I bet Southlake Carroll is seriously regretting bringing Miami Northwestern to town and ending their 49 game winning streak. What you do in state is all that matters, why do think Maryville and South Panola have yet to take on other USA today teams. They dont have to.

I would love to see Franklin play a Top 25 team. It's not the BCS and you are correct, but there is some logic to wanting to play these teams. FHS played a really tough team (Louisville, KY) in a scrimmage earlier in the year and did really well. Playing teams out of your area that are tough teams can help you build your program and assess where you are as a team.

I would love to see FHS play a big team just for the excitement of it. How about in basketball? It helps if you can get on the schedule with a team like DeMatha or Miami Christian - it's exciting and it pushes the team.

Rebels you are exactly right. The Head Coach opened his program to all this scrutiny and the kids are paying for his arrogance. I wont commit on any alledged wrongdoings because they have to be proven first but i will say that top programs do not have to "prove" themselves nationally by playing out of state teams. This is high school football, not the BCS. I bet Southlake Carroll is seriously regretting bringing Miami Northwestern to town and ending their 49 game winning streak. What you do in state is all that matters, why do think Maryville and South Panola have yet to take on other USA today teams. They dont have to.

I personally watched the mtv thing with Hoover and my thought is they should of never done that period. I think it puts alot of pressure on these young men. They have enough pressure to deal with just being teens. I did think the Kirk Herbstreet Classic was ok as it gives teams from other parts of the country to compete against each other and see the level of tallent in other states. By the way Hoover played Cinncinati Colerain and lost 20-17 in ot.

Random thoughts about this issue:

High school football is big in Alabama, and particularly in some of the large class schools. Prattville, for one, is ranked #2 in USA Today. Hoover has been a big time program the last few years (John Parker Wilson, Alabama QB is a grad). Same thing in Georgia.

That being said, once you get to a certain size or mystique, and you get boosters and egos involved, problems ensue.

Recruiting, dubious transfers, preferrential treatment, swelled heads, unrealistic expectations are the results

The head coach at Hoover makes $93,000- and has ZERO class responsibilities. No telling how much the booster club kicks in.

How many HS head coaches in Tennessee (particularly at a public high school) have that kind of deal???

I would love to see Franklin play a Top 25 team. It's not the BCS and you are correct, but there is some logic to wanting to play these teams. FHS played a really tough team (Louisville, KY) in a scrimmage earlier in the year and did really well. Playing teams out of your area that are tough teams can help you build your program and assess where you are as a team.

I would love to see FHS play a big team just for the excitement of it. How about in basketball? It helps if you can get on the schedule with a team like DeMatha or Miami Christian - it's exciting and it pushes the team.

I definitely agree with that. You have to see how you measure up to good teams. I just dont see that you have to travel from Evangel to take on DeLaSalle in Concord California. I think some good rivalaries can be made in neighboring states like when Valdosta in Georgia plays Tallahasse Lincoln out of Florida. Thats big time without getting thier heads beat in by the likes of Long Beach Poly or Southlake Carroll.

I think what Herbstreit did in his challenge is really cool but its even better because the schools dont take on all the costs of the trips and thats what i think hurts the schools is the costs. How cool would it have been to see Maryville at the Herbstreit challenge though? I have a lot of respect for that program and would be interested to see them play one of those teams there.

I definitely agree with that. You have to see how you measure up to good teams. I just dont see that you have to travel from Evangel to take on DeLaSalle in Concord California. I think some good rivalaries can be made in neighboring states like when Valdosta in Georgia plays Tallahasse Lincoln out of Florida. Thats big time without getting thier heads beat in by the likes of Long Beach Poly or Southlake Carroll.

I think what Herbstreit did in his challenge is really cool but its even better because the schools dont take on all the costs of the trips and thats what i think hurts the schools is the costs. How cool would it have been to see Maryville at the Herbstreit challenge though? I have a lot of respect for that program and would be interested to see them play one of those teams there.

I heard that Maryville was being looked at for next fall in the Herbstreit Classic. Also I really think you could have teams from almost every state in this country compete at a pretty amazing level with one another!

Grades, player eligibility, team finances and the personal life and bank accounts .

play fair, concluding that overzealous coaches and administrators broke rules on and off the field.

??” rightly or wrongly ??” depicted Propst as an arrogant, profane, win-at-any-cost coach.

This sounds like all the things we have read about Univ of AL football.

Cheater's just like BAMA! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Random thoughts about this issue:

High school football is big in Alabama, and particularly in some of the large class schools. Prattville, for one, is ranked #2 in USA Today. Hoover has been a big time program the last few years (John Parker Wilson, Alabama QB is a grad). Same thing in Georgia.

That being said, once you get to a certain size or mystique, and you get boosters and egos involved, problems ensue.

Recruiting, dubious transfers, preferrential treatment, swelled heads, unrealistic expectations are the results

The head coach at Hoover makes $93,000- and has ZERO class responsibilities. No telling how much the booster club kicks in.

How many HS head coaches in Tennessee (particularly at a public high school) have that kind of deal???

His salary is actually $100,678 (Birmingham News report). He resigned today but will coach them in the playoffs.

I forgot to add in his car allowance.

I wonder if it includes his bonuses and stock options? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

So the question would still stand, who in a public school in Tennessee could compete with that package-with ZERO class responsibilities?