Is hunters lane out

Whocares08

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately it is true!

I spoke with several people including a HL coach earlier about it and they are all heartbroken to say the least. As I understand it, a student transferred in from Glencliff and another school a couple of years ago. He came out last year and did not play because of grades. He got his grades up and according to their computer system, it said he was in his 4th year of high school. He played all 9 games this year as a defensive back.

After the game, a Glencliff coach thought he might have played freshman ball for them 4 years ago. When the team got back to school after the game, the coaches checked the computer again and it showed this was his 4th year. They then checked the records in guidance and found inside the folder that he did indeed go to Glencliff in the 03-04 year, making this his 5th year.

The HL coaches have already notified the other teams in the region and will file the paperwork Monday morning with TSSAA. I understand that there was never any doubt, when the ineligable player was found, that the only thing to do was to turn themselves in. I think that was an admirable thing to do, especially nowdays. It seems this was a huge oversight. There was no cheating or even a hint of a coverup involved. I was told they had over 150 kids, counting freshman, come out for football. I'm suprised more things like this don't happen. The coaches had apparantly gone over all of the eligibility rules with the players several times, checked grades, records, zones, etc., and yet it still happened.

This team has gone from the huge possibility of a region championship to a zero or one win season. From the people I have spoken with tell me this is a great group of athletes and coaches. My heart goes out to them all!

Sorry for Hunters Lane but broad shoulders and a class act the way the coaches handled it.Question? All schools have a register that makes sure records are accurate and under state law the records from another school must be in the hands of the new school before they can enroll that student. How did it slip by Guidance?

All transcripts show year by year academic, discipline and attendance records.

2003-2004

2004-2005

2005-2006

2006-2007

2007-2008 it seems hard to slip but in a large system it can happen, I guess.

which player... cause i heard it was eric wisdom.. and if ur talking about him.. there is a possible chance but i doubt thats true... coach campbell is usually on top of the grade and classroom performance.. he doesnt let them get by with much.

This situation has absolutely nothing to do with Erik Wisdom #7. Not sure where this originated. He is very much eligible to participate grade-wise, age-wise, and year-wise. This is the second time this year that someone has posted something about Wisdom putting him in a negative light ("he was kicked off the team" and now he's "ineligible"). He has legitimately had a GREAT year. No smoke and mirrors!

As a parent of a Hunter's Lane player I have a couple of questions.... What is considered reasonable research into the players. If the computer listed as eligble... do the coaches not have a right to play that player as eligble? Also a player has 4 years of eligibility. If he sat out one year, then he has only played for 4 years... thus he would be considered eligible. Wouldnt it be prudent to let the team know what is going on instead of them having to find out through gossip and here on Coach T?

This whole thing smells like Glencliff can't win on the field so they have to play dirty and always try and bring somebody down with underhanded garbage. Friday night it turned into a nasty game... They were getting their butts whipped on the field and so they started playing dirty.... hitting, pushing, shoving, coaches cussing out the refs with no consequences, late hits that weren't called. Holding that wasnt called, clipping that wasnt called.... I mean it just turned into a really nasty game... They still lost..... 35-0 but, does the blame lay on a coach that apparently cant handle his team, or on a team with no discipline and cant handle themselves on the field.

I guess I feel like if the coach's did a reasonable job of verifying eligibility and the computer was incorrect, why should the entire team have to suffer. To me, if they did everything reasonable to verify eligibility then they shouldnt have to suffer the consequences like that.

As a parent of a Hunter's Lane player I have a couple of questions.... What is considered reasonable research into the players. If the computer listed as eligble... do the coaches not have a right to play that player as eligble? Also a player has 4 years of eligibility. If he sat out one year, then he has only played for 4 years... thus he would be considered eligible. Wouldnt it be prudent to let the team know what is going on instead of them having to find out through gossip and here on Coach T?

This whole thing smells like Glencliff can't win on the field so they have to play dirty and always try and bring somebody down with underhanded garbage. Friday night it turned into a nasty game... They were getting their butts whipped on the field and so they started playing dirty.... hitting, pushing, shoving, coaches cussing out the refs with no consequences, late hits that weren't called. Holding that wasnt called, clipping that wasnt called.... I mean it just turned into a really nasty game... They still lost..... 35-0 but, does the blame lay on a coach that apparently cant handle his team, or on a team with no discipline and cant handle themselves on the field.

I guess I feel like if the coach's did a reasonable job of verifying eligibility and the computer was incorrect, why should the entire team have to suffer. To me, if they did everything reasonable to verify eligibility then they shouldnt have to suffer the consequences like that.

I understand what you are saying, but the TSSAA will not budge at all when it comes to playing an ineligible player. In 2003 at Gallatin we had a player that slipped through the cracks somehow and he only played one or two plays in each of the games that he participated in and we had to forfeit everyone of those games that he barely played in. He did not play for five years, but there was an address issue that was not discovered until week 7 or 8. Believe me, I know how disappointing it is for the players, the parents, the coaches, and the school.

I truly am sorry for the Hunters Lane kids and program. I do know how bad this is to accept and what it does to the kids. This team had the best Defense in the State giving up the fewest points all season. Once again Gallatin folks/fans know your pain and are sorry for you.

I agree one of the best D's in the state this year...they played tough and everything was going there way but it is very unfortunate to have this happen to them.....especially when it could have been prevented a long time ago......and they could be still at a 7-2 record headin into the playoffs...

I'm very sorry to the hunters lane coaches and players they have a very well ran program and a great coaching staff im sorry that this had to happen but with this happening does this gaurantee a playoff spot for Gallatin and Hendersonville?

If Gallatin and Hendersonville win then they're both in. If Hendersonville loses and Gallatin loses there would be a three way tie for the final 2 spots (assuming Overton beats Hillwood). I'm not sure what the tiebreaker for these teams is.

I understand what you are saying, but the TSSAA will not budge at all when it comes to playing an ineligible player. In 2003 at Gallatin we had a player that slipped through the cracks somehow and he only played one or two plays in each of the games that he participated in and we had to forfeit everyone of those games that he barely played in. He did not play for five years, but there was an address issue that was not discovered until week 7 or 8. Believe me, I know how disappointing it is for the players, the parents, the coaches, and the school.

My question is if he hasnt played for 5 year... he did sit out a year... doesnt that still count as 4 years of eligibility???

What does glencliff do... wait until they get their butts kicked and then run around checking everything on everysingle player. I have heard of poor sportsmanship but this takes it to an extreme.....