Is hunters lane out

Whocares08

TSSAA is responsible for checking all players prior to the beginning of a season... and they miss a player it is their fault not the schools. When they check the computer and it tells them that the student in question is eligible then shouldnt that be enough for the coaches to go on... I could see possibly punishing the player... but not the entire team... look at his play for the entire season... erase any games that he made a score saving tackle, take that tackle away and go on from there... but I feel like this problem was not Hunter's Lane but a problem with the TSSAA.

the tssaa is not responsible for checking all players prior to the beginning of the season as you state. The tssaa has a handbook that the membership has voted on that spells out eligibilty. It is each individual schools job to assure all players meet those requirements.

There is no recourse as gallatin can attest and the decison this year by the supreme court affirmed the tssaa's power in these decisions concerning members. There is nothing that can be done the tssaa rules clearly state any team playing an in eligible player shall forfeit all games the ineligible player participated in. As I already noted based on the supreme court ruling there is no recourse

Im sorry but somebody at HL missed this one and this player fell through the cracks. I dont think they did it on purpose but this one had red flags all over it.

I think the tssaa needs to look at the forfeit every game rule since I believe it is overall to harsh and penalizes 99% for one persons mistake. They should put some type limit because if you know a team has an ineligible player then you wait as long as you can to inflict the most damage.

I mean you can ck all you want but if a kid or the kids parents lie about the transfer information it puts the team in a terrible position. Do you follow them home to make sure where they live? Do you ask to see their divorce/custody papers? Do you make sure they are not going back to their old address?

terrible news for HL but somebody dropped the ball. I also wonder 5th year of hs how old was this kid?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lady its not sour grapes... when you see a kid who played for you 5 yrs ago still playing... something is suspisious! glencliff caught HL's mistake 10 weeks in when it should have been caught in week 0. thats all. its not poor sportsmanship at all.... although kudos to the HL staff for doing the honest thing... many coaches wouldnt have... i applaud you for doing what is right, even if it means your season...

Your right, it may not be sour grapes, but it is awfully coincedental that this is the only team that has ever eliminated the first teams in the hunt due to a clerical error... and no I dont take anything away from coach Campbell for reporting the error. But, if you look at the conduct at the game on Friday... you would understand the speculation. The way that the TSSAA sets up transfers makes a student ineligible to play the year he transfers, making the student believe that he is still eligible. I know they transfered White's Creek students to Hunter's Lane this year and made all of the ineligible to play. I am not really against a team that points out errors.. it is just the penalty is too severe this late in the season, for any team. I was against putting out Gallatin for a housing error that the TSSAA should have caught from the beginning. Coaches are not perfect... they make mistakes... but, should a team that has worked well all season as a team be punished for a clerical error?

In college and the NFL coaches who make clerical errors are fined, the player in question is suspended from the team, but the entire team is not punished. If this is the case... which we are not hearing anything definately... then TSSAA needs to change their rules. I am not saying this just as a Mother of a HLHS player and good friend to many others, I am saying this as a football fan and a coach.

Coach Campbell is a great coach and a very honorable man, He would do anything in the world that he could possibly do to help his players... as long as it stays within the rules. He is a friend and a confidant to alot of the players on his team, as well as a great resource for the parents of players. I would not expect anything less of him then reporting the error as soon as it was brought to his attention.

I only hope that the Warriors will recover from this and go on and finish the season with as much sportmanship and pride as they have played with the rest of this season

the tssaa is not responsible for checking all players prior to the beginning of the season as you state. The tssaa has a handbook that the membership has voted on that spells out eligibilty. It is each individual schools job to assure all players meet those requirements.

There is no recourse as gallatin can attest and the decison this year by the supreme court affirmed the tssaa's power in these decisions concerning members. There is nothing that can be done the tssaa rules clearly state any team playing an in eligible player shall forfeit all games the ineligible player participated in. As I already noted based on the supreme court ruling there is no recourse

Im sorry but somebody at HL missed this one and this player fell through the cracks. I dont think they did it on purpose but this one had red flags all over it.

I think the tssaa needs to look at the forfeit every game rule since I believe it is overall to harsh and penalizes 99% for one persons mistake. They should put some type limit because if you know a team has an ineligible player then you wait as long as you can to inflict the most damage.

I mean you can ck all you want but if a kid or the kids parents lie about the transfer information it puts the team in a terrible position. Do you follow them home to make sure where they live? Do you ask to see their divorce/custody papers? Do you make sure they are not going back to their old address?

terrible news for HL but somebody dropped the ball. I also wonder 5th year of hs how old was this kid?

http://tennessee.coacht.com/boards/index.p...;qpid=826606306

Tennessee Boards -> Replying in Is hunters lane out

In looking at the TSSAA rule.. they have to sign off on all transfers and these transfers must be declared eligible by the TSSAA

(From TSSAA am I eligible...)

In order for a transfer student with an athletic record to be eligible at another school there must be a bona fide change of residence by the athlete's parents.

· All transfer students must be approved by the Executive Director of TSSAA before participating in any game.

Does this not put the onus back on the TSSAA because he was declared eligible.

He turned 19 after the school year started... according to TSSAA rules long as he is not 19 in August... he is still eligible

(THis also from TSSAA am I eligible.)

· A student shall be ineligible in high school if he or she becomes 19 years of age on or before Aug. 1 or in junior high if he or she becomes 16 years of age on or before Aug. 1.

http://tennessee.coacht.com/boards/index.p...;qpid=826606306

Tennessee Boards -> Replying in Is hunters lane out

In looking at the TSSAA rule.. they have to sign off on all transfers and these transfers must be declared eligible by the TSSAA

(From TSSAA am I eligible...)

In order for a transfer student with an athletic record to be eligible at another school there must be a bona fide change of residence by the athlete's parents.

· All transfer students must be approved by the Executive Director of TSSAA before participating in any game.

Does this not put the onus back on the TSSAA because he was declared eligible.

He turned 19 after the school year started... according to TSSAA rules long as he is not 19 in August... he is still eligible

(THis also from TSSAA am I eligible.)

· A student shall be ineligible in high school if he or she becomes 19 years of age on or before Aug. 1 or in junior high if he or she becomes 16 years of age on or before Aug. 1.

But i believe the reason he is ineligible is because it is his 5th year in high school

But i believe the reason he is ineligible is because it is his 5th year in high school

I think TSSAA needs to take a look at antiquated rules and revamp. and I must say if we are trying to teach these kids good sportsmanship and being an honorable player what does it say about coaches waiting to do the most damage by waiting until the last possible moment?

I think TSSAA needs to take a look at antiquated rules and revamp. and I must say if we are trying to teach these kids good sportsmanship and being an honorable player what does it say about coaches waiting to do the most damage by waiting until the last possible moment?

I do not think Glencliff did this on purpose this late. If they had played week one or if they knew, I feel like they would have said something then. They just happened to play week nine and the player was seen after the game, helmet off, and was noticed by a Glencliff coach. The coach told Coach Campbell, he did not call TSSAA and report this. HL did what they had to do on their own. We do not even know and never will if Glencliff would have turned them in. This is not Glenciff's fault.

I do not think Glencliff did this on purpose this late. If they had played week one or if they knew, I feel like they would have said something then. They just happened to play week nine and the player was seen after the game, helmet off, and was noticed by a Glencliff coach. The coach told Coach Campbell, he did not call TSSAA and report this. HL did what they had to do on their own. We do not even know and never will if Glencliff would have turned them in. This is not Glenciff's fault.

In my heart I know that no coach would intentionally hurt a group of kids, but you must admit it is awfully coincedental