State Pairings

uniden

No great satisfaction - other than a state title??? The last 3 years its been CAK (06), FRA(05), FRA(04). I'd call that pretty good satisfaction and a pretty good reason for them to want to stay in A/AA. Alcoa has that figured out in 2A football. Why would they want to move up where there is more competition. State titles are great advertising nuggets.

Wired and MVM

just in case you haven't looked at the schedule....FRA plays where they are put....FRA does not run the TSSAA...If you check the schedule you will see that they played Hendersonville, Brentwood, Franklin, Centennial, JPII, etc.... they can hardly be accused of hiding in A/AA! I might add they do this with a team of 16 players out of a high school of approximately 250 kids. I know ND played some AAA schools as well, as did CAK, I believe. FRA is required to play the schools in their district just like everyone else. FRA is already getting hammered in Football being forced to play schools 4 times their size. Complaining about ND, CAK, FRA, etc. is like MTSU complaining about Florida or UT and saying they should play in the NFL because they have so many players that go on to it! I won't go any deeper into this private v public deal....there are thousands of missives that explore every point in the other venue. I am proud of each of the schools that made it to the state tournament...no one gave them a pass....each earned their way there, and in my opinion no one does it with any more class than Coach McDonald of FRA.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wired and MVM

just in case you haven't looked at the schedule....FRA plays where they are put....FRA does not run the TSSAA...If you check the schedule you will see that they played Hendersonville, Brentwood, Franklin, Centennial, JPII, etc.... they can hardly be accused of hiding in A/AA! I might add they do this with a team of 16 players out of a high school of approximately 250 kids. I know ND played some AAA schools as well, as did CAK, I believe. FRA is required to play the schools in their district just like everyone else. FRA is already getting hammered in Football being forced to play schools 4 times their size. Complaining about ND, CAK, FRA, etc. is like MTSU complaining about Florida or UT and saying they should play in the NFL because they have so many players that go on to it! I won't go any deeper into this private v public deal....there are thousands of missives that explore every point in the other venue. I am proud of each of the schools that made it to the state tournament...no one gave them a pass....each earned their way there, and in my opinion no one does it with any more class than Coach McDonald of FRA.

Hey Flash We are only talking about Soccer not Football or any other sport. and with your comment you proved my point concerning soccer. 250 total kids, 16 club players, Hangin with the big AAA teams, going to state....PRICELESS.

Wired and MVM

.each earned their way there, and in my opinion no one does it with any more class than Coach McDonald of FRA.

I'm sure Coach McDonald does with class, and wish you guys luck, But I'll be cheering for CCS, N.Dame, Baylor & Soddy....I'm a bad Homer.

Hey Flash We are only talking about Soccer not Football or any other sport. and with your comment you proved my point concerning soccer. 250 total kids, 16 club players, Hangin with the big AAA teams, going to state....PRICELESS.

MVM...reread the post I didn't say a thing about "CLUB PLAYERS" they have 16 players on the team....total! FRA did not play a team all year that had as small a bench as FRA did......PRICELESS is right....or did you mean CLUELESS????....perhaps part of the reason they are where they are is the coach is willing to push his team (and take his lumps and losses against all comers). Last time I checked....any "club" will take players from any school....they don't check to make sure you pay private tuition or you're from a public powerhouse....it is a choice and a sacrifice that kids and parents make.....one of the main points.....I'll try to make it clear.....is FRA is already getting pounded in Fball and BBall because of the preceived disparity in talent( I know you prefer to ignore that inequity)....and still they whine about private schools in the state tournament. Just so you know there are a total of 6 girls at FRA who played travel (only 3 are still on teams)....sorry if that is too unfair.....no I'm really not! FRA earned their way there and I'm proud of every alphabet that made it!

so, all eight teams in A/AA tourney are privates? are they all AA as well?

Yes. In Girl's soccer, there are only two division I classifications -- A/AA and AAA

While not exact, most schools that in football are AAAA or smaller are in A/AA for soccer (that's the way in works out in the Chattanooga area anyway)

MVM...reread the post I didn't say a thing about "CLUB PLAYERS" they have 16 players on the team....total! FRA did not play a team all year that had as small a bench as FRA did......PRICELESS is right....or did you mean CLUELESS????....perhaps part of the reason they are where they are is the coach is willing to push his team (and take his lumps and losses against all comers). Last time I checked....any "club" will take players from any school....they don't check to make sure you pay private tuition or you're from a public powerhouse....it is a choice and a sacrifice that kids and parents make.....one of the main points.....I'll try to make it clear.....is FRA is already getting pounded in Fball and BBall because of the preceived disparity in talent( I know you prefer to ignore that inequity)....and still they whine about private schools in the state tournament. Just so you know there are a total of 6 girls at FRA who played travel (only 3 are still on teams)....sorry if that is too unfair.....no I'm really not! FRA earned their way there and I'm proud of every alphabet that made it!

So Flash FRA has no Club players???? My point IS the HS team that has the most club players will win. If school X has a student body of 16 and all are club players, they are on the HS soccer team than that school will win ALOT of games even againest the bigger school that does not have club players. You can't deny that. Soccer is NOT a game of numbers but a game of skill.

And Private school parents have the funds, access, and foresight to get their child playing club.

My comments are not directed at the other sports..SOCCER ONLY

Just so you know there are a total of 6 girls at FRA who played travel (only 3 are still on teams)....sorry if that is too unfair.....no I'm really not! FRA earned their way there and I'm proud of every alphabet that made it.

Flash if what you say is true, Than I wish you luck. Cause N.Dame, & Cak are loaded with them. For me this is not a private/public issue as much as a club/non club issue. And let me state my point one more time.

Private school parents have the funds, access, and foresight to get their child playing club. Which make for awesome HS soccer teams.

[quote name='MVM' date='Oct 30 2007 - 09:40 AM' post='826609513'

Private school parents have the funds, access, and foresight to get their child playing club. Which make for awesome HS soccer teams.

While I think club soccer is a major factor, I don't think that the above reasons are the biggest factor. I think there are plenty of public school parents who have the above resources. I think it comes down to the fact that the private schools that are competing in A/AA are located in larger cities with more opportunity to play club soccer. The public schools that the privates are competing against are usually more rural, with less club soccer options. Privates sometimes have a broader spectrum of students to pull from (as do option zoned public schools) but for some reason, soccer doesn't bring in a lot of those players to the public schools as it does in football (reference to Alcoa and Maryville).

Flash if what you say is true, Than I wish you luck. Cause N.Dame, & Cak are loaded with them. For me this is not a private/public issue as much as a club/non club issue. And let me state my point one more time.

It is true...and yes I would love to have a boat load of club players, but that comes from the kids and the family. Club players work hard.....very hard (most club players will be playing tournaments with their club teams before the year is out!)...and if they play with their other club players or gravitate to schools where they can play on both teams with each other it should not be a surprise. My daughter loves her teammates (both teams) and leaving club has been a loss for her as she sees her buddies spread out to other areas and teams. It was never about "foresight" with us, it was about what she liked doing and the reward she received in personal growth, confidence, and her relationships with the girls. (I also liked the fact that it kept her out of the mall and on the playing field!) Obviously there are high schools where a core group moves from one sport to the next within the high school; they are the stars of their school. This may create a cohesive sports group but might not prepare them to excel at any one sport and result in a state championship. It should not prohibit those who focus on one sport and sacrifice the personal success they might get from being a "3 sport letterman" for their high school from obtaining the satisfaction of a state championship earned on the field. It simply is personal choice, so I feel very good about these teams of girls (who are loaded with club players, etc.) receiving the payback of a state tournament when they have sacrificed so much to focus on success in soccer. Personally I am trhilled to see the make-up of the A/AA tournament because I appreciate the efforts of the club players that have helped propel these team to success.

We'll need some luck since it is obvious from everyone's pick FRA is quite the underdog.