State Pairings

uniden

A parent of an ooltewah player who is also a coach at east ridge told me before Coach Blair left Ooltewah for baylor he worked very hard to get his non club player on club teams at East Ridge and Redoubt teams. . . He recognizes the fact that the more club players you have, and the more experience they get, the better your team will do

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MVM' date='Oct 30 2007 - 09:40 AM' post='826609513'

Private school parents have the funds, access, and foresight to get their child playing club. Which make for awesome HS soccer teams.

While I think club soccer is a major factor, I don't think that the above reasons are the biggest factor. I think there are plenty of public school parents who have the above resources. I think it comes down to the fact that the private schools that are competing in A/AA are located in larger cities with more opportunity to play club soccer. The public schools that the privates are competing against are usually more rural, with less club soccer options. Privates sometimes have a broader spectrum of students to pull from (as do option zoned public schools) but for some reason, soccer doesn't bring in a lot of those players to the public schools as it does in football (reference to Alcoa and Maryville).

G I'll agree with that, but what are the reasons for schools that are located in larger cities that struggle every year (Red Bank, Central, East Ridge) all Chatt. schools yes , but they have the same access as Baylor, N.Dame, CCS.

East Ridge has a very competitive Club program, yet their HS struggles every year.

G I've coached young club teams cost is an issue with blue coller parents, and I wished I had a dollar for every parent that have ask me let little Suzy practice with the select team because middle school tryouts are a month away, and they have realized that little Suzy doesn't have much of a chance againest the select players..> short sightedness<

I know my posts have the private school people stirred up. But soccer while growing in numbers is a good thing, Quality soccer with club teams is fast becoming an elite game because of cost. While thats NO ONE'S fault..repeat NO ONE'S fault, but just the way it is.

Well, it seems that most of us agree that having club players on a HS team equates with success. And that "access" to a club environment is critical--in terms of distance from a club and $$$. The pro-privates are happy to be in A/AA with the opportunity to be a state "champion". What they realize but are not willing to confront is that the pitch is not that level for the public A/AA folks. Seymour, Hixson, LA, East Ridge, Station Camp, Alcoa, Pigeon Forge, Chucky-Doak etc are public schools with no chance to compete for a state championship due to the access issue. Is there a solution or should the A/AA publics just be happy to have the opportunity to be on the same pitch with teams they have no chance of beating? As I proposed in one of my earlier posts, should the private powehouses in A/AA consider playing at the AAA level? Using CAK as a model--according to Eurosports, they had regular seasons losses in close matches to Bearden, Farragut and Science Hill; tied Greeneville; and beat West, Maryville and Lenoir City. In nine matches with their district public A/AA "rivals", they had nine easy wins by a combined score of 71-3. And, I'm sure those #'s could have been much worse. My bottom line is that the strong private schools are really not getting much if anything by bashing public A/AA opponents and by staying in this division denying these small, mostly rural public schools an opportunity to compete for that much desired state championship. Comments?

Wired, I think you would be suprised at my response.

It has been mentioned before about football, but I think it would apply to all sports:

A merit based system would work the best. That way, you don't lump all privates "up" a division, and it gives some of the smaller publics a shot. You move up as you have great success, and then if you have some off seasons, you move down.

G, not surprised at your response. I'm sure you see that strong private school teams don't benefit from playing mandatory opponents who provide no competition. Interesting concept that you propose. I guess the devil is in the details of determining who moves up/stays in a division. No system will make everybody happy.

G, not surprised at your response. I'm sure you see that strong private school teams don't benefit from playing mandatory opponents who provide no competition. Interesting concept that you propose. I guess the devil is in the details of determining who moves up/stays in a division. No system will make everybody happy.

An interesting comment by Big G, as i was wondering what the A/AA private schools thought of being bumped up into AAA. Suppose you could do a promotion and relegation system for the A/AA private schools; where if you won state or made consecutive state appearances you get promoted to AAA for the next season. Then if the teams record was poor for the next couple of seasons, they could be relegated back into A/AA. This would give the publics a chance to be successful. As im sure if a public won state, they would want to be take on the privates and see if they could beat them!

Now, woodeng, I am with you but with one major difference.

With the merit system, it shouldn't matter if the school is public or private. It shouldn't be a "promotion and relegation system for the A/AA private schools". It should be what ever school has success or failure. This way, with three divisions in Division 1, you might actually have a AAA sized public school in the lowest division, because they have a weak soccer program, yet a A sized public school in the top division, because they have a strong class coming through. While that might be rare, it could be possible.

I don't want this to become another "multiplier" for the private schools. While it may push a majority of the private schools up at first, I think it would equal out within the top two divisions.

I know it would be a MAJOR head ache to regulate. Especially with a school that has a great senior class, that wins state, but graduates 11 starters. I know there have been many conversations in the past on how to do it in football, but I can't recall what they were.

Flash said it before, that the private schools that seem to make it to state every time, do not hide from the AAA schools in regular season. While we compete and sometimes beat those schools, the biggest things that people do not see, is that while most A/AA private schools have a great 11 players, VERY few have the depth that Bearden or Farragut has. I know, Notre Dame is the exception this season, but I can tell you that while I have coached, I might have 14 players that I would feel confident playing against Farragut, while they might have 20. That is a huge difference in soccer. That is why I think A/AA privates that would move up would have a hard time competing on a regular basis.

I also think it should be on a seperate sport regulation. So, if a school has a strong soccer team, they should move up only their soccer team. That way, if their volleyball program is not very good, they do not move up, but play in the lower division.

. . . I also think it should be on a separate sport regulation. So, if a school has a strong soccer team, they should move up only their soccer team. That way, if their volleyball program is not very good, they do not move up, but play in the lower division.

The fact that the multiplier affects every sport at all D1 private schools is the main reason I hate the multiplier. A merit system is the best method of leveling the playing field. You play up or down depending on past performance. European football (soccer to Americans) have had a merit system for years.

Now, woodeng, I am with you but with one major difference.

With the merit system, it shouldn't matter if the school is public or private. It shouldn't be a "promotion and relegation system for the A/AA private schools". It should be what ever school has success or failure. This way, with three divisions in Division 1, you might actually have a AAA sized public school in the lowest division, because they have a weak soccer program, yet a A sized public school in the top division, because they have a strong class coming through. While that might be rare, it could be possible.

I also think it should be on a seperate sport regulation. So, if a school has a strong soccer team, they should move up only their soccer team. That way, if their volleyball program is not very good, they do not move up, but play in the lower division.

Now G I could go for that. But lets face it TSSAA would never go for it. Makes to much sense, and would be to hard to enforce.

A/AA

11:30 CAK vs. CCS

2:00 pm USJ vs. CPA

4:30 ND vs. Jackson Christian

7:00 FRA vs. Knox Catholic

AAA soccer is turning into an extension of private schools it seems cause no matter what publics cannot compete

Speak for yourself there. My daughters team (public) lost 1-0 in the state sectionals. Very competitive. They lost 1-0 to another state qualifier and 2-0 to another. I`m sick and tired of my fellow public school fans whining about private schools. Why should it matter if they are all private schools? 8 very good teams are there. We came very close. We are not gonna whine about it. They`ll go back and try gain next year. Geez!