State Pairings

uniden

I was not suggesting that it was currently a "lesser" division. I was looking to the "new world" of high school soccer. Where teams pick division 1, 2 or 3--or heck maybe even 4. Then the best teams would choose division 1 and there would be no issue of public, private, scholarship, etc.

Gotcha, and I agree. (though letting a school pick could get dicey)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotcha, and I agree. (though letting a school pick could get dicey)

I have an idea! Let's get together the posters in here that know the difference between Division 1, 2, 3, and 4 teams and assign schools to their appropriate divisions. TSSAA could then post the list and let the teams that wish to protest their assignment submit a letter requesting another division with stated reasons why. TSSAA could then give us the list and we could laugh at all the whining responses and re-assign the ones with good reason.

Seriously, I guess someone would have to design a merit system. I don't think changing the multiplier is the answer--to be fair to all private school teams. In most sports, but especially soccer, it is not the number of students a shool has that makes them good. It is the program. And good programs have the foresight to play equal or better competition, so therefore I think they would choose to play in the higher divisions.

There are several schools that win district and region annually because they are a division 2 team playing in a division 3/4 district/region (see SC, Madison). Then they are dismissed in sectionals by a division 1 team. I really don't see this as a private v public issue, just different levels of the programs.

Seriously, I guess someone would have to design a merit system. I don't think changing the multiplier is the answer--to be fair to all private school teams. In most sports, but especially soccer, it is not the number of students a shool has that makes them good. It is the program. And good programs have the foresight to play equal or better competition, so therefore I think they would choose to play in the higher divisions.

The system I've designed is fairly straightforward in this respect. Reaching a starting point is the tricky part, but after that, it's simple--in fact, based largely on European soccer. You make the final four, you move up. A computer rating would be needed to identify the four worst in each tier; they move down. Granted, it's not perfect in the short run, but no purely objective system can be. In the long run, though, it's self-correcting.

The system I've designed is fairly straightforward in this respect. Reaching a starting point is the tricky part, but after that, it's simple--in fact, based largely on European soccer. You make the final four, you move up. A computer rating would be needed to identify the four worst in each tier; they move down. Granted, it's not perfect in the short run, but no purely objective system can be. In the long run, though, it's self-correcting.

I like it! Call TSSAA and lets get it operating by boys season.

East Ridge has a very competitive Club program, yet their HS struggles every year.

But soccer while growing in numbers is a good thing, Quality soccer with club teams is fast becoming an elite game because of cost. While thats NO ONE'S fault..repeat NO ONE'S fault, but just the way it is.

Yes ERHS has struggled over the last few years but a big part of that seems to be lack of support.They actually do have players that have been and are currently on select teams at Camp Jordan.However,at least as far as the girls, you're talking about a team that didn't even have true soccer uniforms until last year.Previous teams wore sofie shorts(rolled)and tied up t-shirts.I think that they've come a long way the last couple of years and hopefully will continue to improve!! Congrats on their wins this season /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

As for select, I 'm sure that there are many "elite" clubs/teams out there...but it's all in what you're looking for....you don't have to join one of those teams ........there are all different levels.Granted rural areas may not have as much access to established teams, but all it takes is enough interest from players and an adult willing to coach...find someplace to register out of ...ie local rec center, YMCA, and you have a team. Both my children started off on rec teams that moved up into the select program with parent coaches. Actually, I think that the time committment is a far bigger deterrent than the expense with many families.

I have one child who travels to tournaments as far away as Miami and has taken a couple of team bus trips. Yet, her brother's team plays mostly local tournaments and scrimmages with usually only one 'overnight' per season, in order to keep costs reasonable.Both teams participate in fund raising and sponsorship opportunities to help with costs.

Just look at the expenses involved in select softball and competitive gymnastics if you think that soccer is pricey.Of course our friends and family involved in those sports seem to spend every weekend that they are not traveling working on fundraising events in order to make the fees affordable.....whew...more time than I want to spend... /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />