Blackman vs. Oakland

pattonboysdad

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you certainly have a great point...but on a bigger picture note...whether you run the I formation, wing-t, spread, no backs, split backs, or the whirley bird johnson... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> ...there are a couple of key things that must happen. 1. your players must know the system like they know their own name (every adjustment must be able to be made by your 11 guys on the field)...2. YOU MUST EXECUTE the offense...3. the one who calls the plays must SET up the defense...4. you must take what the defense gives ya...

personally...i think executing is the biggest factor...and i think that is where blackman failed the most...inconsistency with executing the offense...at times we looked great...at times terrible...this must improve...amazing to see us play brentwood and then siegel...the difference was execution (not that siegel did not play well...but both brentwood and siegel were very similar teams talent wise)...we looked like two different teams

as far as QB...wallace was certainly a high light because of his speed and athleticism and his throwing improved tremendously from last year to this year...but what any good offense needs is a QB that can manage the game, make the right decisions(pass, pitch or keep, hand off or keep...etc), not turn the ball over...and LEAD...

so next year... this is what the QB needs to do if we go to the playoffs...if we find a guy to do this...i think the other things will fall in place...

these are just my quick...opinion...thoughts

You are correct, execution is the key. I just see way too many times that this isn't the case, and I kinda understand why some teams in our area just line up and say, here we come, stop me!!!!!! It's just so much simpler, and that's certainly not knocking any offense or anyone who runs those type of offenses. They too take just what we both agree on, and that's plain ole execution. Not to mention, keeping your defense out of trouble and bad field position.

Saw both Siegel and Brentwood this year. Just can't agree with ya on their talent being equal. Can't remember if they played or not, but I thought Siegel had a little more talent overall. I thought Siegel had as much overall talent as anybody in the region. May have underachieved to be honest about it. By the way, Brentwood runs the spread also. It was about like Blackman when I saw them, execution wise. Using two2 QB's, a SR. and a Soph., both looking very confused most of the time, although fairly good looking athletes.

I agree again on the not making the big turnover, come on McNair, and just leading the team, but I saw most, if not all of the teams in the 4-5A region this year. Everybody has talent, I'm not sure there's a hairline difference from the bottom of the region to the top. Yea, some are younger, some bigger, some smaller, and oh yea, everybody for the most part "hit and play defense". I just think the offensive scheme and mindset is the difference. Whether that's execution, whether that's offensive coaching, which I haven't even mentioned, or whether it's youth, one thing is for sure, Blackman cannot and will not get over that hump, unless offense is addressed. All the other off season stuff go without saying, I.E.-workouts, grades, transfers, etc.

You are correct, execution is the key. I just see way too many times that this isn't the case, and I kinda understand why some teams in our area just line up and say, here we come, stop me!!!!!! It's just so much simpler, and that's certainly not knocking any offense or anyone who runs those type of offenses. They too take just what we both agree on, and that's plain ole execution. Not to mention, keeping your defense out of trouble and bad field position.

Saw both Siegel and Brentwood this year. Just can't agree with ya on their talent being equal. Can't remember if they played or not, but I thought Siegel had a little more talent overall. I thought Siegel had as much overall talent as anybody in the region. May have underachieved to be honest about it. By the way, Brentwood runs the spread also. It was about like Blackman when I saw them, execution wise. Using two2 QB's, a SR. and a Soph., both looking very confused most of the time, although fairly good looking athletes.

I agree again on the not making the big turnover, come on McNair, and just leading the team, but I saw most, if not all of the teams in the 4-5A region this year. Everybody has talent, I'm not sure there's a hairline difference from the bottom of the region to the top. Yea, some are younger, some bigger, some smaller, and oh yea, everybody for the most part "hit and play defense". I just think the offensive scheme and mindset is the difference. Whether that's execution, whether that's offensive coaching, which I haven't even mentioned, or whether it's youth, one thing is for sure, Blackman cannot and will not get over that hump, unless offense is addressed. All the other off season stuff go without saying, I.E.-workouts, grades, transfers, etc.

again...you are probably right...siegel had harper and nance and hughs (big # 6)...these three guys probably put them over in talent...and siegel beat brentwood 9-7 (or something close to this) on a last second field goal...that is why i compared the two teams....and we beat brentwood 28-0...and then got smoked by siegel...go figure...one night we execute and have no turnovers on our side of the field...the other night we look like the bad news bears

and you are right again...from top to bottom it was not alot of difference in talent, size, athleticism etc....riverdale's offensive line took them to another level...and bulldogs gray and wilks combo took them to another level...wilson central had a good overall team with it seemed like alot of seniors...but everyone else seemed very close.

it ain't easy being in region 4-5a...but if you win here...you got a good chance to win anywhere in the state

again...you are probably right...siegel had harper and nance and hughs (big # 6)...these three guys probably put them over in talent...and siegel beat brentwood 9-7 (or something close to this) on a last second field goal...that is why i compared the two teams....and we beat brentwood 28-0...and then got smoked by siegel...go figure...one night we execute and have no turnovers on our side of the field...the other night we look like the bad news bears

and you are right again...from top to bottom it was not alot of difference in talent, size, athleticism etc....riverdale's offensive line took them to another level...and bulldogs gray and wilks combo took them to another level...wilson central had a good overall team with it seemed like alot of seniors...but everyone else seemed very close.

it ain't easy being in region 4-5a...but if you win here...you got a good chance to win anywhere in the state

Do you personally wish Sheppard received more of a shot?

Do you personally wish Sheppard received more of a shot?

if he could have done it better than it was done...the coaches would have put him in is my opinion...i never really thought about it...

never come across to many coaches who don't want to win...so what do they do...they put their best guys in the game at the right places

i am just trusting that the coaches do that until i see other wise...and nothing i have seen of the blackman coaches tell me that they don't want to win...or...that they have some bias toward players

i've always said to players...it you ain't playing...then practice so hard and good that they have to find a place for ya

let me correct myself...i have seen one middle school coach who did not know a quarterback from a nose guard...and his ability to put the kids where they should be according to their talent and to help the team was sad and hilarious at the same time...but that is why he is a middle school coach

Seems like we agree on several pieces of this puzzle. You seem to like the coaches over there a lot. I notice you always speak highly of the staff and all, even on other posts. Seems like they are working at it.

Looks like the fridge is fishing a little. I'm sure Shephard was the back up QB. Never saw him in a game, so I can't say one way or the other on that one. I had my opinions on some of the things I saw, but only on what I saw. Wallace definitely was the athlete that needed the ball in his hands in the offense Blackman was running. My point from the first post was and still is, running this offense with Wallace did not produce playoff results. If there were someone better, surely he would have been in there. It just looked as if Blackman had enough athletes to spread it around a little more, and I'm not sure the way the spread was ran there made defenses really have to worry.

Seems like we agree on several pieces of this puzzle. You seem to like the coaches over there a lot. I notice you always speak highly of the staff and all, even on other posts. Seems like they are working at it.

Looks like the fridge is fishing a little. I'm sure Shephard was the back up QB. Never saw him in a game, so I can't say one way or the other on that one. I had my opinions on some of the things I saw, but only on what I saw. Wallace definitely was the athlete that needed the ball in his hands in the offense Blackman was running. My point from the first post was and still is, running this offense with Wallace did not produce playoff results. If there were someone better, surely he would have been in there. It just looked as if Blackman had enough athletes to spread it around a little more, and I'm not sure the way the spread was ran there made defenses really have to worry.

this is why i like the coaches at blackman...they work their butts off...they deal with my two boys and other players fairly...do not demean the players personally...they put guys in the right places...every time i ask them a scheme question their answner makes sense...they are not defensive with me (or with anyone else that approached them with a good attitude or asked questions...but no one likes it when someone gets in your face)...when i have pushed on some things that were obvious it needed changing...they actually would agree and tell me why it had not changed up to that point and the reason they gave was dead on...and in time...these things did change...which meant they were not shooting me a pile of stuff...they are still learning themselves (going to college teams clinics)...they admit when they are wrong...honestly...they are real easy to get along with...every game but maybe riverdale (we did not really sniff or get close to the zone) the players had a chance to win...and that is really all i ask for...they and most high school coaches don't get paid enough to have to put up with parents who think their kid should be the next all american or star of the team...and alot of parents do not live in reality as to the ability of their kid...being objective is hard for alot of parents...it's amazing what you hear parents say about their kid playing college ball when they can barely start for a high school team...but you hear it all the time

when blackman went 0-10...vince lombardi could not have helped them...they had very little talent...some of those sophomores that started then did not even start this year as seniors...but that is all they had

last year...so...so...so young

this year...more talent...still young but certainly not as young...and next year...we'll see if the talent that has matured translates to more wins...proof is in the pudding

do they make mistakes...sure...do they wish they had called something different at times...sure...do they need to keep improving...sure...if they don't take it to the next level over the next two years...will i (and them) be frustrated...sure...do they need to improve on offense...sure...

...but you are right...they need to spread it around more next year... no doubt...they would tell you the same thing...and here is where i rest...they will work on it from now to next august...

we'll see how it shakes out...

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

this is why i like the coaches at blackman...they work their butts off...they deal with my two boys and other players fairly...do not demean the players personally...they put guys in the right places...every time i ask them a scheme question their answner makes sense...they are not defensive with me (or with anyone else that approached them with a good attitude or asked questions...but no one likes it when someone gets in your face)...when i have pushed on some things that were obvious it needed changing...they actually would agree and tell me why it had not changed up to that point and the reason they gave was dead on...and in time...these things did change...which meant they were not shooting me a pile of stuff...they are still learning themselves (going to college teams clinics)...they admit when they are wrong...honestly...they are real easy to get along with...every game but maybe riverdale (we did not really sniff or get close to the zone) the players had a chance to win...and that is really all i ask for...they and most high school coaches don't get paid enough to have to put up with parents who think their kid should be the next all american or star of the team...and alot of parents do not live in reality as to the ability of their kid...being objective is hard for alot of parents...it's amazing what you hear parents say about their kid playing college ball when they can barely start for a high school team...but you hear it all the time

when blackman went 0-10...vince lombardi could not have helped them...they had very little talent...some of those sophomores that started then did not even start this year as seniors...but that is all they had

this year...more talent...still young but certainly not as young...and next year...we'll see if the talent that has matured translates to more wins...proof is in the pudding

do they make mistakes...sure...do they wish they had called something different at times...sure...do they need to keep improving...sure...if they don't take it to the next level over the next two years...will i (and them) be frustrated...sure...do they need to improve on offense...sure...

...but you are right...they need to spread it around more next year... no doubt...they would tell you the same thing...and here is where i rest...they will work on it from now to next august...

pattonboysdad could you answer a question? Who will be Blackmans qb next year? I know the last couple of years their freshman and middle school teams have some great tallent and have done very well. Also would like to thankyou and some of the other posters on coacht I really enjoy your postings and how informative and fun to read they are. You and 82cat and many of the others on here, thankyou! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Agreed, again. Nice post. be careful though, didn't realize you have two sons playing. Looks like you'll have to be the objective parent shortly. Saw one of them when Blackman played Smyrna, but haven't seen the other one.

Keep the info coming. Good reading material about Blackman. You're about the only one that regularly writes on here about them. Good luck to you guys.

Agreed, again. Nice post. be careful though, didn't realize you have two sons playing. Looks like you'll have to be the objective parent shortly. Saw one of them when Blackman played Smyrna, but haven't seen the other one.

Keep the info coming. Good reading material about Blackman. You're about the only one that regularly writes on here about them. Good luck to you guys.

i am totally objective...but is that not what everyone thinks...so i am probably blind as a bat... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

pattonboysdad could you answer a question? Who will be Blackmans qb next year? I know the last couple of years their freshman and middle school teams have some great tallent and have done very well. Also would like to thankyou and some of the other posters on coacht I really enjoy your postings and how informative and fun to read they are. You and 82cat and many of the others on here, thankyou! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

if i knew the answner to that question...QB at blackman...i'd be a prophet or son of a prophet...and i am neither

but...you may not know this and i probably should not say it on Coach T...i just hope alot of people don't read this post... i was just told last night that the little brother of the quarterback for the university of oregon...last name is dixon...heisman trophy canidate...he along with his mom just moved to the blackman community...he is 6ft. 1 inch...jr....200lbs...runs a 4.4 forty and can throw the ball 75 yards...so we are pretty excited at blackman...keep it under raps until it comes out later in the spring... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />