Waverly @ Camden

rcombs

To some extent yes, but I don't believe that he was as much a players coach as Graves is. Hampton was good at some things but stayed too long in the program as the game passed him by. I went to school when Hampton was coach and sometimes you loved him dearly and sometimes not. I can't say that I've felt this way with GRaves. He genuinely cares as much about the kids as he does winning and losing. And to me, that is what's really important.

I DON'T KNOW IF COACH HAMPTON WAS A PLAYERS COACH OR NOT BUT HE NEVER WENT 0-10.HIS PLAYERS RESPECTED HIM AND PLAYED HARD FOR HIM.

DID YOU PLAY FOR HIM?

ALL I KNOW IS THAT HE WON AT WAVERLY IN AT LEAST 3 DIFFERENT DECADES SO THE GAME NEVER PASSED HIM BY.

THAT BEING SAID ,I ALSO BELIEVE THAT TREY IS GOING TO DO FINE.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunatly this Friday is Senior night, so I'm afraid the score will run pretty high. If it was any other night our second and third string would probably play most of the game and I'm sure they still will get some time on the field, but traditionally the seniors will probably stay in the first half. I just hope it's an injury free game and both sides play with the class we've come to expect. GO LIONS GO SENIORS!!!!!! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Senior night or not, they won't be in the game long. I'd bet my bottom dollar.

I DON'T KNOW IF COACH HAMPTON WAS A PLAYERS COACH OR NOT BUT HE NEVER WENT 0-10.HIS PLAYERS RESPECTED HIM AND PLAYED HARD FOR HIM.

DID YOU PLAY FOR HIM?

ALL I KNOW IS THAT HE WON AT WAVERLY IN AT LEAST 3 DIFFERENT DECADES SO THE GAME NEVER PASSED HIM BY.

THAT BEING SAID ,I ALSO BELIEVE THAT TREY IS GOING TO DO FINE.

What I meant by the game passing him by was the fact that when he started you could win a lot of ball games just by running the ball and not passing it. But he became so predictable that it wasn't hard to stop him toward the end. Run right, run left, run up the middle, punt. Now, I never said that his players didn't respect him (read my post) I said that this is the most pride I've seen. yes Hampton was a good coach, in fact, in 1987, the team was perhaps the best high school team I've ever seen. Only 7 points all season scored against until the playoffs. Also had 3 1000 yard rushers. Then went to the quarterfinals and lost to Brentwood Academy 14-7 when we fumbled the opening kick off to give them one of their scores. Carlton Flatt made the comment, his boys had never been hit so hard. Also, defeated Memphis Trezvant when Xavier Crawford (the X man) who played at Memphis had rushed for 2000 yards that year, only got 57 yards all night.

I knew him well while he was coaching and he actually did changed his offense the last time around. Because the type players he had changed, he didn't have the feature back that you need for the "I". So he change from a right at you offensive scheme to more of a mis-direction type offense the use more wing with motion. He also began to use a lot more of the play action passes.

I assure you the game did not passed him by and his scheme was a hard as any to prepare to stop. Coaching fundamental defensive football and a good running game will win out most of the time. Unless you have more talent the all your opponents then you can run whatever you want to run.

I have tons of respect for Coach Hampton, he was truly one of the greats!

Looking better as far as injuries, but it still doesn't seem like Leon Williams ankle is quite right just yet. Maybe he'll be healed up this week.

After looking at the bracket possibilities and depending on how it's broken down, it look like the Lions will be in the quadrant with CPA and Goodpasture. Yikes. But, we'll prepare for the first round thentake it a game at a time.

What I meant by the game passing him by was the fact that when he started you could win a lot of ball games just by running the ball and not passing it. But he became so predictable that it wasn't hard to stop him toward the end. Run right, run left, run up the middle, punt. Now, I never said that his players didn't respect him (read my post) I said that this is the most pride I've seen. yes Hampton was a good coach, in fact, in 1987, the team was perhaps the best high school team I've ever seen. Only 7 points all season scored against until the playoffs. Also had 3 1000 yard rushers. Then went to the quarterfinals and lost to Brentwood Academy 14-7 when we fumbled the opening kick off to give them one of their scores. Carlton Flatt made the comment, his boys had never been hit so hard. Also, defeated Memphis Trezvant when Xavier Crawford (the X man) who played at Memphis had rushed for 2000 yards that year, only got 57 yards all night.

IN 1993 THE TIGERS WERE 10-3 UNDER COACH HAMPTON .THAT YEAR THE TIGERS PASSED AS MUCH AS THEY RAN.

YOU NEED TO KNOW THAT COACH HAMPTON WAS ALWAYS TRYING THINGS TO WIN.HE TOOK THE TALENT HE HAD AND COACHED THEM UP.

GOOD LUCK TIGERS .