4th place Qualifiers?

HSDAD

Anyone know when they decide on the 4th place qualifiers?

Question 2. Is it too late for TSSAA to consider a Dbl. Elim.

for this years State?

It shouldn't be but don't hold your breath. I mean how tough is it to hold a 32 man double elimination tournament ? Happens all the time.

It shouldn't be but don't hold your breath. I mean how tough is it to hold a 32 man double elimination tournament ? Happens all the time.

I personally think that a few great wrestlers fell through the cracks last year.

I would be willing to pay double @ the gate if cost is the issue!! If its not cost,

then who's preventing it????

I personally think that a few great wrestlers fell through the cracks last year.

I would be willing to pay double @ the gate if cost is the issue!! If its not cost,

then who's preventing it????

Let's see 100% of the athletes want it, ( double elim ) likely 100% of the coaches want it, I would be willing to wager 100% of the parents and realatives of the athletes want it , really only leaves one answer as to who is preventing it.

For virtually no effort TSSAA could make most if not all in the wrestling community happy. Sadly it doesn't appear they are interested.

I think it's the wrestle backs that prevent them from going to double elim. Those would take forever with brackets that big. An easy solution is to move D2 to another venue, or hold it the week before or something. That would keep McKenzie from overflowing with people on friday, and D1 could do all of their wrestlebacks that day instead of taking a 7 hour break.

But if that happened, all the D2 schools would start complaining. It makes sense to me though to do it that way as D2 could probably complete their entire tournament in 1 day if they wanted to. Their brackets are so shallow sometimes that a finalist only has to win 2 matches to get there.

Every year we all scream about this but nothing ever happens!

How do we as fans, parents, former grapplers and supporters of the sport push this change!

Do we write letters/emails to T$$AA and Ronnie or what?

I have a suggestion!

Have D-II a week prior to D-1. What are those programs doing while the rest of the state is fighting for an opportunity at state?

Over the last 8 years I've watched the state wrestling tourney. Very few D-1 parents and kids are there watching the D-2 matches prior to the finals. In addition when it gets to the finals I seam to always miss the D-2 match I was waiting for because there is a great match on the D-1 mat.

I'm not cracking the D-2 State but they are two different animals on the process of qualifying!

• 2 weeks later...

Over the last 8 years I've watched the state wrestling tourney. Very few D-1 parents and kids are there watching the D-2 matches prior to the finals. In addition when it gets to the finals I seam to always miss the D-2 match I was waiting for because there is a great match on the D-1 mat.

Double elimination has been addressed many times on this forum and it appears the consensus is to add a consolation round on Thursday night would solve the problem. My recollection is Thursday night normally finishes fairly early?

I’ve watched the state tourney for over 30 years. I enjoy the wrestling in both divisions and like yourself I’m always missing something in the finals. My suggestion would be to leave all 8 mats out on Saturday morning and then begin the parade of champions at 2:00, wrestling the finals consecutively instead of simultaneously.

What is the merit to separating the 2 tournaments? It can’t be for crowd control as the top section of McKinsey Arena is practically vacant. The larger the crowd the more exciting the event is for the wrestlers IMHO.

I’m really disappointed in the decision to separate the state duals this year. I’m glad additional teams have been added to the small school division, but surely there is a way and a facility to accommodate everyone. We will miss being at Clarksville as it has become somewhat of a tradition also. As a wrestling fan I watched dual meets in both divisions and would have preferred the finals not be held simultaneously also.

Maybe most wrestling supporters are actually only children supporters - they show up to watch their children and have no interest in watching a wrestler who doesn’t share the same last name. My wrestling junkie friends show up for exciting quality wrestling regardless of the school or wrestler’s name. Again, maybe we are a small minority.

Double elimination would actually add two rounds to the tournament, both with 8 matches per weight. Just FYI. It should still be done. Or at the very least, take the half-step of wrestleback-from-octafinals (in other words, round-of-32 losers would need only one pull instead of two, and round-of-16 losers would be guaranteed). That also eliminates the situation you have now where a wrestler has to get up and make weight for a second day, only to be knocked out without even getting to go back on the mat...

as for a one-day DII tournament, no way. You have to have no more than 10 in each weight to run in one day. (The issue involves a wrestler who wins in the round of 16, then loses his quarterfinal, and has to wrestle in the first consolation round. If he makes it to the medal round, he's already used up his five allowed matches for the day. Not an issue with 10--if the bracket is arranged correctly, any wrestler who wins in 16 and loses in quarters will have a bye in consolation I. But with 11, there's no way around it.)