Memphis East 2-8?

MemCityCoach

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Memphis a student having completed the middle school or jr. high has a one time opportunity to pick the high school in which he or she wishes to attend regardless of the school zone in which they live. Also, students may apply for and receive admission to an optional school, one that specializes in a particular field of study. East, for example is an optional school of engineering and health sciences. Schools with good athletic programs take advantage of the choice and optional school opportunities to get the best of the young athletes.

Thanks WT. I had no idea that students could simply pick the high school of their choice. One would think that this would lead to more success on the football field at the state level than what we have seen in the past from the Memphis schools. Please do not take the statement as a knock on Memphis football because it is not. I understand that there are so many schools and that the talent is so spread out that it is difficult at times to have teams with overall great talent. It is simply an observation.

Are there any programs who are taking advantage of this to the extent of building consistantly super strong teams?

Very interesting question. There are schools that seemingly have done so ( in various sports ). Ridgeway, Melrose, East, to name a few over the years in football. Although I think most kids would still rather play for their neighborhood school.

I think so much has to do with the reputation of the coaching staff, and the overall reputation of the school as well.

Very interesting question. There are schools that seemingly have done so ( in various sports ). Ridgeway, Melrose, East, to name a few over the years in football. Although I think most kids would still rather play for their neighborhood school.

I think so much has to do with the reputation of the coaching staff, and the overall reputation of the school as well.

No question about it. Certainly there are schools that take advantage of the open enrollment policy. For years, White Station ruled the city in basketball along with East. Kids came there wanting to play for coaches that had won state championships and won on a consistent basis. Include Raleigh-Egypt in that same scenario in roundball. In football, Melrose, East, along with several others were obvious choices. Both programs had won on a consistent basis, recruiters lived at the schools, you saw these teams on the news, and in all the media outlets, and droves of kids were signing scholarships. Several private schools, particularly CBHS began realizing the awesome talent in the city and has for years recruited a number of the best young players in the city. The ability to give a certain number of scholarships has been a huge plus. "Come play for us, get the exposure a winning program will give you, etc" Look at the improvement in the "Brothers" program with the addition of running backs from the city's middle schools and jr. highs. The really good athletes want the chance to win and also want the individual exposure they can receive at such programs. It finally gets to the point that if a program wins(no matter what the sport) athletes that are driven in that direction, will seek the school out rather than the coaches seeking the players out. People want to win...They will go to where they can win.

In Memphis a student having completed the middle school or jr. high has a one time opportunity to pick the high school in which he or she wishes to attend regardless of the school zone in which they live. Also, students may apply for and receive admission to an optional school, one that specializes in a particular field of study. East, for example is an optional school of engineering and health sciences. Schools with good athletic programs take advantage of the choice and optional school opportunities to get the best of the young athletes.

As a Melrose fan I would like to thank the East principle for our new track coach. East alumni need to get toghether and demand better from your new administration. I have a lot of friends who graduated from East and they are serious Mustang fans. We would never allow this to happen in Da Mound. Look at what happened to our last two coaches that stumbled in the playoffs.

As a Melrose fan I would like to thank the East principle for our new track coach. East alumni need to get toghether and demand better from your new administration. I have a lot of friends who graduated from East and they are serious Mustang fans. We would never allow this to happen in Da Mound. Look at what happened to our last two coaches that stumbled in the playoffs.

OM4Ever,

I have a SINCERE question for you (or any other Melrose fan):

What do you think is going to happen to Melrose's current Coach (Alexander) when the Golden Wildcats stumble (and I'm convinced that they won't get past the 2nd round) in this year's playoffs?

BTW, I am pulling for Melrose (and all other playoff-bound Memphis area schools) to win in all, in 4A.

OM4Ever,

I have a SINCERE question for you (or any other Melrose fan):

What do you think is going to happen to Melrose's current Coach (Alexander) when the Golden Wildcats stumble (and I'm convinced that they won't get past the 2nd round) in this year's playoffs?

BTW, I am pulling for Melrose (and all other playoff-bound Memphis area schools) to win in all, in 4A.

I can remember when Kenny Ingram received a letter saying he was an "embarrasment" to the Orange Mound community when he went 13-1 and was beaten in the semi-finals. I witnessed Coach Flowers go to the State Finals and when they lost to Maryville, he was booed by thousands of Melrose fans when he went to accept the runner-up coaches award. Have things changed? Who knows!!!