Memphis East 2-8?

MemCityCoach

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i were them, i would not give them the chacne to fire me twice in the same year!

I agree but the problem lies more with the administration and Wimberly needs some quality help if he has any chance of turning the program around. East will get killed again this year by melrose and again choices will be made not to go to east next year as up coming freshman because of those losses and the cycle continues. I'm wondering what Da Hamp thinks about this.

It's going to be a long winter for East. Program is definately moving in another direction. Administration fires his coaching staff for basicly not playing his son there is no telling who gets fired next or even when. The only people enjoying this is da mound and da lawyers as in Randell's. Melrose beats East by 50 AGAIN!!!! It's a new direction a new tradition. Instead of East practicing on thanksgiving day now they can look forward to putting their stuff up before Nov.

What's your take on the streak ending for the mighty mustangs. It doesn't look good for the coaches who've already been fired once and had to be re hired. Give me your thoughts.

Well ... I was one of the first people to voice my outrage and unbelief over what the principal did when he fired Randell. That one move showed me what kind of quality decisions he makes. You don't fire a man of coach Randell's caliber in the manner in which he did. It was quite obvious in the beginning what the new administration wanted. The problems at East will be there as long as the principal is there in my opinion. I never agreed with his firing, and I don't give a rats behind on WHY he fired the man, it should have never happened.

I've been around long enough to know, what you do in the past will grow and come to fruition, in which, you will have to harvest in your future. One mans actions affect a multitude of people. Coaches, players, parents, alum, etc., etc.

I feel sorry for those coaches that are there now because I know they were sold a bill of goods yet found out differently later, and I'm in no way affiliated with the program. It's obvious ... the handwriting is on the wall.

The principal sowed into the football program. The football program is now reaping. Unless something different is sowed ... expect more of the same.

Well ... I was one of the first people to voice my outrage and unbelief over what the principal did when he fired Randell. That one move showed me what kind of quality decisions he makes. You don't fire a man of coach Randell's caliber in the manner in which he did. It was quite obvious in the beginning what the new administration wanted. The problems at East will be there as long as the principal is there in my opinion. I never agreed with his firing, and I don't give a rats behind on WHY he fired the man, it should have never happened.

I've been around long enough to know, what you do in the past will grow and come to fruition, in which, you will have to harvest in your future. One mans actions affect a multitude of people. Coaches, players, parents, alum, etc., etc.

I feel sorry for those coaches that are there now because I know they were sold a bill of goods yet found out differently later, and I'm in no way affiliated with the program. It's obvious ... the handwriting is on the wall.

The principal sowed into the football program. The football program is now reaping. Unless something different is sowed ... expect more of the same.

One thing that you must remember is that East used to battle Melrose for the better Jr. High players in town, with Melrose generally reaping the larger haul. However, kids want to go where they can win and East got it's fair share of good young players. NOW with the upheavel at East over the last two years, Melrose struck quickly by first beating East 50+ points in the new regime's first meeting. Obviously they were trying to send a message to the athletes in the Jr. Highs and it rang out loud and clear when the score was announced in the paper and on television. Look for another message to be sent this year with another whalloping over the Mustangs by the Golden Wildcats. Melrose continues its string of playoff appearances and East's lengthy playoff run comes to an end (another message, LOUD and CLEAR). Look for Melrose to begin a wholesale collection of the best athletes from the city's middle schools and junior highs and the program to remain strong throughout the years. At the same time, sadly, we will watch the continuous decline and the eventual demise of a once dynamic program at East. As KWC stated, the program is reaping what the principal sowed. He wanted as he said in the paper, "the program to go in another direction" and he has gotten his wish. As for the present coaches, "gitting out time is now." When the present staff was fired, then rehired, another message was sent. I have to wonder who in their right mind would want the challenge of turning a battleship around in a bathtub?

I can only add that this same guy fired the basketball coach that had won 3 state championships and also the track coach that had a total of 5 state championships at East. If my memory serves me correctly, and it does, isn't it ironic that the basketball and track coach's releases occured only after the newspaper reported that Randall had filed a lawsuit against the city school system. Not only will the football program continue to go down (how much lower can it go?-Check out the East -Melrose score this weekend) but look for the slow decline of the other programs also.

It's hard not to blame the princ. for most of this, 'tho I wonder if there is another side to the story that is legitimate.

It will be hard to turn the programs around quickly, once things like this get started it takes some quality young folks working with some great coaches over a decent period of time to do so.

And who, if they had a choice, would want to work with this princ. ( given what we know at this time ).

One thing that you must remember is that East used to battle Melrose for the better Jr. High players in town, with Melrose generally reaping the larger haul. However, kids want to go where they can win and East got it's fair share of good young players. NOW with the upheavel at East over the last two years, Melrose struck quickly by first beating East 50+ points in the new regime's first meeting. Obviously they were trying to send a message to the athletes in the Jr. Highs and it rang out loud and clear when the score was announced in the paper and on television. Look for another message to be sent this year with another whalloping over the Mustangs by the Golden Wildcats. Melrose continues its string of playoff appearances and East's lengthy playoff run comes to an end (another message, LOUD and CLEAR). Look for Melrose to begin a wholesale collection of the best athletes from the city's middle schools and junior highs and the program to remain strong throughout the years. At the same time, sadly, we will watch the continuous decline and the eventual demise of a once dynamic program at East. As KWC stated, the program is reaping what the principal sowed. He wanted as he said in the paper, "the program to go in another direction" and he has gotten his wish. As for the present coaches, "gitting out time is now." When the present staff was fired, then rehired, another message was sent. I have to wonder who in their right mind would want the challenge of turning a battleship around in a bathtub?

Please help an "out of towner" understand how these kids pick where they want to go to school. Are they not zoned for a certain school? When I went to high school in Memphis many years ago a student could attend a school which they were not zoned for but it was because they applied for and were accepted to a school with an optional program. Is this how they are doing this?

Please help an "out of towner" understand how these kids pick where they want to go to school. Are they not zoned for a certain school? When I went to high school in Memphis many years ago a student could attend a school which they were not zoned for but it was because they applied for and were accepted to a school with an optional program. Is this how they are doing this?

In Memphis a student having completed the middle school or jr. high has a one time opportunity to pick the high school in which he or she wishes to attend regardless of the school zone in which they live. Also, students may apply for and receive admission to an optional school, one that specializes in a particular field of study. East, for example is an optional school of engineering and health sciences. Schools with good athletic programs take advantage of the choice and optional school opportunities to get the best of the young athletes.