message to the officials

uoftfanatic

OK... But can you change brands?????

If they are approved in the pre-game and have the FED (NFHS) mark on them they can be used. You can have a ball replaced only upon an award of a new series unless during inclement weather. I agree that this is not consistent but most officials will work with you as much as possible to keep a dry ball in the game. Would the change of brand helped you convert a big play or score? There should be no limit on how many balls can be approved during the pregame but is probably a crew preference or habit. There is no such thing as getting a "kicking" ball in for the PAT unless it is after a change of possesion and you have the opportunity to get a ball in timely. If not you will be kicking the other team's ball. No waiting because the ball boy is on the other end of the field because you were on defense.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My grandpa has been looking for a part time job I will pass that on to him.

I do like your response. To be honest, that's one of the reasons officials are being thought of like we are. Unfortunately alot of the officials are in it just for the money and not for the love of the game and the players. I think if officials got into it for the right reasons the amount of high quality officials would far exceed the money hungry ones. I know I got into it because I stopped coaching and missed the game alot. I know that every Friday night that I take the field regardless of who is playing that it is the #1 game in the country. Everybody may not think that about the game we are working but that doesn't matter. It is the #1 game to those players and coaches and they deserve their game to be treated like that. I know where I am traveling this Friday and I guarantee it's the best game in the country that night.

I do like your response. To be honest, that's one of the reasons officials are being thought of like we are. Unfortunately alot of the officials are in it just for the money and not for the love of the game and the players. I think if officials got into it for the right reasons the amount of high quality officials would far exceed the money hungry ones. I know I got into it because I stopped coaching and missed the game alot. I know that every Friday night that I take the field regardless of who is playing that it is the #1 game in the country. Everybody may not think that about the game we are working but that doesn't matter. It is the #1 game to those players and coaches and they deserve their game to be treated like that. I know where I am traveling this Friday and I guarantee it's the best game in the country that night.

I have no doubt your game will have top notch officiating because you will be there! Someone who cares about the integrity of the game and someone who will do his best thats all anybody can ask for. You are SO right about it being the #1 game to those players on that field and if the officials would treat it that way we wouldn't be having this discussion. Again for those who don't go back and reread all these insightful post these complaints are againt the officials that take NO pride in their job and make the horrific calls/no calls that just leave you feeling you have been cheated. Hopefully, there will be none of these problems for the duration of the playoffs. I am keeping the faith.

I have no doubt your game will have top notch officiating because you will be there! Someone who cares about the integrity of the game and someone who will do his best thats all anybody can ask for. You are SO right about it being the #1 game to those players on that field and if the officials would treat it that way we wouldn't be having this discussion. Again for those who don't go back and reread all these insightful post these complaints are againt the officials that take NO pride in their job and make the horrific calls/no calls that just leave you feeling you have been cheated. Hopefully, there will be none of these problems for the duration of the playoffs. I am keeping the faith.

Fanatic, thanks for the vote of confidence. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> We ALL hope no problems arise during the playoffs. I wish fans had a way of evaluating the officials each week, not from a fan of a team but as a fan of the game itself. Might be nice since the officials without an ego will admit to not being able to see everything on every play. I'm sure I've missed some really good games since I've been officiating, but that doesn't mean I wasn't watching it only means I was doing my job on the field and not enjoying some great run or terrific catch. As everybody sees that great catch I'm watching the offensive linemen for a hold or a chop block.

Can you be cloned? When I umpired baseball I felt the same way. It didn't matter to me if it was a little league game or a college game. The game I was at was the most important game being played. I sure hope you're at Indy Friday night. Have a good game.

Can you be cloned? When I umpired baseball I felt the same way. It didn't matter to me if it was a little league game or a college game. The game I was at was the most important game being played. I sure hope you're at Indy Friday night. Have a good game.

I agree; the game is about the players, not the coaches, fans or referees. I was a varsity basketball official for 4 years, and since I didn't hang out with the guys, I just worked hard, did my job, and went home to my wife, I was looked down upon. The only reason I got into refereeing was to stay close to the game. I love seeing the excitement when a kid scores for the first time, or the calm composure of a kid who just scored his or her 1000th point. I got sick of hearing the other officials say things at halftime like "that kid isn't getting any more calls from me" or "swallow your whistle so we can get this game over." Believe or not, officials do make calls in basetball games to keep the score difference an odd number so it won't go into overtime.

For those of you officiating out there that do it for the right reasons, it shows, and thank you. For the rest of you, grow up, and have fun out there. Then the money becomes the bonus, and you do it because you enjoy it. If you can't enjoy it, then stop, because you are robbing the kids enjoyment of it.

Ya'll can have your soap box back now.

For the past two years I have been reading a HS Referee's forum on another message board and it has given me great insight to their perspective as well as the rules of the game. The HS game has different rules than college and pro that most of us fans are unaware of. There are truly some dedicated ref's like Umpire2829 and some that are not so dedicated. The good ones know who the bad ref's are and they dislike them about as much as us fans. The only time I yell about officiating now is when they are grossly inconsistant or there are bad mechanics. It drives me nuts when I see an official that is out of position make a call that he could not possibly have seen.

Thanks Ref's for doing your job, because without you we couldn't have the game.

Good Morning All..... /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

While we are on the subject I would like to ask an official a question...( if there are any reading this thread...come on now...we know you are lurking out there somewhere.).... /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> ... What are the rules regarding the changing of the footballs during an offensive posession?.. I've been to enough different areas to determine that whatever policy is in place is not consistent from region to region or even county to county.... Also how many different balls are approved by the TSSAA ? ( Brand, Models Ect...)... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Also if any fans have any imput please feel free to chime in..... (You don't have to be a zebra ..... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> )

As an umpire (the guys who gets run over a lot and calls holding etc.) there is no specific rule on changing the ball out. As long as it does not interfere with the flow of the game and the ball boys are able to be where they are supposed to be, we can change the ball on every play if needed. A lot of the posters are correct. The ball does have to have the NFHS stamp on it to be allowed and the ball cannot be a "pumpkin"(which is why we check balls before the game).

As an umpire (the guys who gets run over a lot and calls holding etc.) there is no specific rule on changing the ball out. As long as it does not interfere with the flow of the game and the ball boys are able to be where they are supposed to be, we can change the ball on every play if needed. A lot of the posters are correct. The ball does have to have the NFHS stamp on it to be allowed and the ball cannot be a "pumpkin"(which is why we check balls before the game).

Thanks for the reply... I thought that was the way it was.. I think most "area" officials have adopted their own guidlines to go by .... I have saw groups that would let you change balls at will while others would change on 1st downs or change of posession only..... Hope you don't get run over and if my son is playing off. tackle.... keep that flag in your pocket........... /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

tpoole12

Yes, the ball can be changed every play "if needed". Meaning if the ball is wet from sweat or dew. Otherwise, the TSSAA has requested that the only time a ball is changed is at the beginning of a new series, (first down). Also, as someone as already mentioned, a team will kick the PAT with the ball they score with unless the defense scores. The umpire should not allow a pumpkin to be run in to the game to kick with. The TSSAA has also asked that both teams ball boys be stationed on the same side of the field and that they should not come on the field. This has good points and bad points. All numerous to go into in a short message. The TSSAA is afraid of the liability of a kid getting injured, therefore they are trying to keep them off the field. In watching numerous films, some associations are trying to follow this procudure and some are not. Once again, some consistency would be nice, but I am sure some will do it the way they want to no matter what.