Oak Ridge @ Dobyns-Bennett

I agree that was a great play call and a tremendous hit. I still remember the hit Philip Tritapoe took a few years back where he got up immediately after a big hit and then walked back to the huddle and went down.

I heard Clark make those comments and it sounded like he was geting choked up. It is a tough situation I'm sure for the family and I feel as if they could have placed the game in the bakground for one moment and made a public announcement for one of the fallen student atheles.

The hit on Tritapoe was a slobber knocker ... reminded me of the Snickers commercial, he thought he was BATMAN!

I wasn't listening to the radio and didn't know that it was Coach Clark that made those comments untill Saturday afternoon. I MUST SAY...... Coach Clark, you are a CLASS ACT! As a family member of one of the guys that was mentioned I can say that it ment alot to all of us that our loved ones HAVE NOT and WILL NOT be forgotten at DB!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DBGRAD, Even though OR has a terrific band, I was greatly impressed with DB's band. How many kids are in band and how many trucks does it take to get you guys around? Just curious...

OR absolutely does have one of the best bands in East Tennessee. I enjoyed them Friday, even though they had to put their clarinets away because of the weather.

I think there are about 8 full size coaches when the football band (just under 400) goes somewhere like Oak Ridge. Since they had to reduce their size for competition by over 100 (I believe), there is a couple less buses that are required for that. In both cases it takes a dedicated semi-trailer to haul the equipment. It is very expensive and requires a large booster organization to raise money to pay for travel, uniforms, the larger instruments, and such. The football band plays a college style program with minimal drill (moving around on the field) and tunes that people are more likely to know and enjoy. The competion program is much harder music and drill(near constant motion) that is geared toward what judges expect. They only perform the competition program once in front of the football audience and that was done at game 10. After being a band parent for 10 years, I will miss being closer to the program. But in the process I have learned to love to go to DB football games to both watch the game and watch the band. Even going to away games has become enjoyable. You get to know the other school's traditions better. And Oak Ridge has one I've really learned to respect.