Region 5 vs. Region 6

theyoungtiger

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you predict a sweep in favor of region 5. Boy, when a region 6 poster gets on here and predicts a sweep for region 6 they are chastised. I must say though I have never seen anyone score a partial point. Your theory must be flawed. Go back to the drawing boards!!

I didn't interpret these numbers as score predictions, but as a ranking system. Higher numbers representing better teams. Is that incorrect?

The Massey Ratings stink! And you guys are in a dreamland about a couple of these predictions. If either Collinwood or Cascade scores more than 30 it will be a blowout for someone. There is no way either defense is going to allow that. Cascade is allowing about 12 points a game and Collinwood allows about 15. Cascade is averaging about 35.5 per game and Collinwood is averaging 35. Lets just be logical and say that Cascade has two SLIGHT advantages going into this game; they have home field advantage and they have about a 3.5 point statistical advantage AND they have Cascade11 pulling for them! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Seriously, one of the teams will just have to flop for the other to beat them by 10-15 or to score more than 30, bottom line!

You also need to know that WHH is going to fall to Wayne County. No other explaination needed. And Mt. P, much to our dismay, will win as well.

SO, Region 5, not to burst the ole bubble but the best you can go is 2-2, sorry guys, I look at the facts and don't listen to my heart!

The Massey Ratings stink! And you guys are in a dreamland about a couple of these predictions. If either Collinwood or Cascade scores more than 30 it will be a blowout for someone. There is no way either defense is going to allow that. Cascade is allowing about 12 points a game and Collinwood allows about 15. Cascade is averaging about 35.5 per game and Collinwood is averaging 35. Lets just be logical and say that Cascade has two SLIGHT advantages going into this game; they have home field advantage and they have about a 3.5 point statistical advantage AND they have Cascade11 pulling for them! /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> Seriously, one of the teams will just have to flop for the other to beat them by 10-15 or to score more than 30, bottom line!

You also need to know that WHH is going to fall to Wayne County. No other explaination needed. And Mt. P, much to our dismay, will win as well.

SO, Region 5, not to burst the ole bubble but the best you can go is 2-2, sorry guys, I look at the facts and don't listen to my heart!

I agree, but I'm going one step further and saying the best reg. 5 can hope 4 is to prevent the sweep. Chumps have no chance against tha Wood... 2 much playoff history and experience on our side. only chance they have is JB, but like someone else said, MC is the best 4 seed in the state and I expect them to get the win in that 1 also.

I didn't interpret these numbers as score predictions, but as a ranking system. Higher numbers representing better teams. Is that incorrect?

Here's how they come up with the numbers:

These ratings are designed to measure the past and not to predict the future. However, the Off,Def,H can be used to not only predict the winner of a game, but also the final score. The predictions will not always agree with the team rankings (i.e. the #3 team may be predicted to beat the #1 team). Hypothetical predictions follow the formulae:

Ascore = Aoff - Bdef +/- (Ah + Bh)/4

Bscore = Boff - Adef -/+ (Ah + Bh)/4

Let's look at an example. Suppose we have the following:

Off Def H

---- ---- ----

Team A 26.4 -3.1 3.5

Team B 21.8 2.6 4.0

The predicted score if the game were played at A's homefield would be:

Ascore = 26.4 - 2.6 + (3.5 + 4.0)/4 = 25.675

Bscore = 21.8 - (-3.1) - (3.5 + 4.0)/4 = 23.025

If instead the game is at B, then reverse the signs on the homefield term:

Ascore = 26.4 - 2.6 - (3.5 + 4.0)/4 = 21.925

Bscore = 21.8 - (-3.1) + (3.5 + 4.0)/4 = 26.775

Of course if the game is at a neutral site then simply omit the homefield term altogether.

Ascore = 26.4 - 2.6 = 23.8

Bscore = 21.8 - (-3.1) = 24.9

Now obviously a team can't score a fraction of a point. The decimal part in a prediction is because it is an average score that we might expect if the game could be played many times. It is OK to round to the nearest integer (or in the case of football to the nearest likely point total since scores like 5 or 8 are quite rare).

The scores I posted earlier we based on this formula.

Here's how they come up with the numbers:

These ratings are designed to measure the past and not to predict the future. However, the Off,Def,H can be used to not only predict the winner of a game, but also the final score. The predictions will not always agree with the team rankings (i.e. the #3 team may be predicted to beat the #1 team). Hypothetical predictions follow the formulae:

Ascore = Aoff - Bdef +/- (Ah + Bh)/4

Bscore = Boff - Adef -/+ (Ah + Bh)/4

Let's look at an example. Suppose we have the following:

Off Def H

---- ---- ----

Team A 26.4 -3.1 3.5

Team B 21.8 2.6 4.0

The predicted score if the game were played at A's homefield would be:

Ascore = 26.4 - 2.6 + (3.5 + 4.0)/4 = 25.675

Bscore = 21.8 - (-3.1) - (3.5 + 4.0)/4 = 23.025

If instead the game is at B, then reverse the signs on the homefield term:

Ascore = 26.4 - 2.6 - (3.5 + 4.0)/4 = 21.925

Bscore = 21.8 - (-3.1) + (3.5 + 4.0)/4 = 26.775

Of course if the game is at a neutral site then simply omit the homefield term altogether.

Ascore = 26.4 - 2.6 = 23.8

Bscore = 21.8 - (-3.1) = 24.9

Now obviously a team can't score a fraction of a point. The decimal part in a prediction is because it is an average score that we might expect if the game could be played many times. It is OK to round to the nearest integer (or in the case of football to the nearest likely point total since scores like 5 or 8 are quite rare).

The scores I posted earlier we based on this formula.

Go back to work, Moto, Your giving me a migrane...

I think you can throw those averages out the window because both teams will be facing stiff competition. At least 3/4 of teams that make up those averages are sitting at home. I predicted WHH to fall to Wayne Co. also but it won't be a walk in the park for Wayne Co. And from what I saw out of McEwen against JB, they don't have a prayer. I think we'll go 2-2 but I wouldn't be surprised if WHH won; it's certainly not out of the question. The only thing that would surprise me is if JB or mTp lost or one of the 2 vs. 3 match-ups was a blow out.