Rockwood vs. GP

Took

First i am not from Rockwood. Second i am not from anderson county but i made the trip to GP several years ago to see that game i would bet the farm it had been watered down all the ground away from the field was not anckle deep help me with that one i also have family that lives in GP country and i was there one day before the game. so you tell me??????????????????????????

I will tell you for a fact that the field at GP has never been deliberately watered down. As cneagles13 stated earlier, they have used helicopters to attempt to dry a field as best as possible. Gatlinburg averages almost twice as much rainfall in a year as Sevierville does, a town 20 miles north of it.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will tell you for a fact that the field at GP has never been deliberately watered down. As cneagles13 stated earlier, they have used helicopters to attempt to dry a field as best as possible. Gatlinburg averages almost twice as much rainfall in a year as Sevierville does, a town 20 miles north of it.

Ok buddy Serierville is 20 miles north But what about 20 feet from the field. May be a sprinkler line broke or something.But i no what i saw sloppy field there and damp dirt 20 feet away.

Ok buddy Serierville is 20 miles north But what about 20 feet from the field. May be a sprinkler line broke or something.But i no what i saw sloppy field there and damp dirt 20 feet away.

You just answered your own question by saying DAMP dirt. Its very feasible for the subground below the grass to still be damp. Play 4 quaters of a grind it out football game on a field that is still wet underneath and you end up with a mess.

You just answered your own question by saying DAMP dirt. Its very feasible for the subground below the grass to still be damp. Play 4 quaters of a grind it out football game on a field that is still wet underneath and you end up with a mess.

Again sorry this seems to be a sore subject . but i was thers the day before and i was not in a typhoon. and the field had water standing on it before kickoff look at the picture above and if that field holds water like that you all might need to invest in a drainage system sorry again but it would help!

First i am not from Rockwood. Second i am not from anderson county but i made the trip to GP several years ago to see that game i would bet the farm it had been watered down all the ground away from the field was not anckle deep help me with that one i also have family that lives in GP country and i was there one day before the game. so you tell me??????????????????????????

You would have lost the farm. I was there in the fall of '04, which was my sons freshman year playing for Benny Hammonds. It began the week before the 2nd round playoff game with Rockwood. It had rained considerably the week of the first round playoff victory against Wartburg and during that first round contest the field was pretty much loosened and worked up. Then a few days before the 2nd round Rockwood game it rained heavily and after the first quarter of that game the field was a total quagmire. As it turned out, it ended up hurting GP more than Rockwood as our QB fumbled(untouched) the(muddy) ball inside the ten yard line late in the game as GP was going in for an apparent go ahead touchdown in what turned out to be a 10-5 victory for Rockwood.

My son said the team feels very good about their preparations this week for Rockwood and he also said that it appears that the team has benefitted greatly from the previous open date week. I firmly believe GP will play with a sense of purpose. One other thing, I do not know of a better MAN and FOOTBALL COACH than Benny Hammonds.

I hope to hear the crowd chanting at the conclusion, " We Are....GP! Regards

If you want to know why it is a sore topic, it is because of the accusation towards a man and a coach that you do not know. My son plays for Benny now (a freshman) as I did in the early 80's. You will not find anyone more honorable in the game of football and someone who would not cheat nor tolerate a cheater associated with the program. If he can't beat you playing his strength to your strength then he takes his loss with no excuses.

Cant we all just get along?? stop the violence. hug a tree. sing some camp fire songs.. GP and Rockwood both have good teams or they wouldnt be in the playoffs.. they both have their strengths and weaknesses. it should be a good game. and God Bless us everyone.

Again sorry this seems to be a sore subject . but i was thers the day before and i was not in a typhoon. and the field had water standing on it before kickoff look at the picture above and if that field holds water like that you all might need to invest in a drainage system sorry again but it would help!

If you have been there before then explain draining the field up the hill genius. Oh yeah, I'll take that bet you offered. Can't pass on a sure thing. I believe I can prove you wrong and certainly know you can't prove it. I believe it has been 10 years since the sprinkler system at GP has been used. It stays so damp there that if you waters that field the end up with a fungus. Accusing GP of watering their field is a feable attempt to explain why GP played Rockwood tough right down to the final horn.

The wait is over. no more stupid arguing over whether a field was soak before a game, no more academic talk, no more who has the tougher schedule. because tonight at 7 oclock theres gonna be 22 kids out on that field with only one thing on their minds. Win. GP is looking to make it into the second round for the first time in years and Rockwood's senior class is trying to live up to all the hype they had a freshman. who will step up. the time is now.