9AA

CoachF

CPA will be better next year than they are this year. Chapman will return and expect some big things from the sophomores (Zelenik, Birkhead, Ellson, and Crenshaw)

And if you ask the players who they follow, it's Miller. Nothing against the seniors at all, but just because you are a senior doesn't mean that you are a natural leader. Peterson and Reeves are just not very vocal, but thats ok, they fit their roles well and are vital to this team's success. And CPA will be just fine with the leaders on the team this time next year, but we will miss the seniors.

Better next year? Not so sure, even though they should repeat as disrtict champs. Peterson does a bunch of stuff that doesn't show up in the stats - blue collar guy. None of the younger guys coming up have his quickness, jumping ability, speed, nor defensive ability. He could play NAIA if he wanted too. Go Lions

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MARTIN LUTHER KING VS PEARL-COHN PREVIEW

It is February and a rival is being renewed with Pearl Cohn/Martin Luther King. The two schools are less than a mile apart, however in the spirit of black history month. The two schools share the same history most of it all at Pearl high. If you walk into the Gym of Pearl Cohn they have banners of Pearl high school and at Martin Luther King at Pearl High they have recently name thier new court after the two legendary coaches during the halftime agianst who else? Pearl Cohn. The point is they share alot of tradition of pride and thats what makes the rivarly one of the best in the district and ranks in my top 5 rivals in Nashville. In the past two years this game has determine the district championship, the right to play in the Civitan Tournment Championship game, and the right to advance to sub-state. Since coach Vic Whatorn has took over the only team that is undefeated at Pearl Cohn is the royals and to go one step futher he has not won at M.L.K now that is a stat to look at since the district tournment is at Martin Luther King this year.

However the Firebirds are one of the hottest teams in the district right now they are winners of four straight(with an impressive win at FRA) and 5 of 6. Remeber this the only team that made it to sub state from this district last year and has alot of seniors that were on last year team. They are on the same run as they were last year. But wouldnt no that by the way CPA is playing this year, but a win against Martin Luther King tomorrow night will help the Firebirds momentum against DL and into the state tournment. The firebirds are on a roll and maybe the most underated basketball team in the nashville area, but they are use to it.

The royals on the other hand is rebuilding they have lost ten or more games by less than ten points however a loss is a loss. But this MLK we are talking about nobody writes them off and if you have than that is the biggest mistake you ever made. Especially with a legendary coach in Doc Shelton who preaches DEFENSE. Thats why you cant count them out. Yes going for thier 5th distirct championship is a long shot it still could happen. But one thing i do know is that come tournment time the look for the Royals to make some noise.

Now on to the game. It will be a very phyiscal game like always last time these two teams played at Mcgavock was a great third place game and in the game before that at MLK it was a classic for MLK with an eight man roster and in the fourth quarter the Royals only had 3 players in the court for the final six minutes of the game. and TSSAA set a record number of fouls in one game. The Royals however did not build on that win but end up losing there next four games. Pearl Cohn could have folded but they didnt they are now one game behind third win twio weeks ago they were at number seven in the district. This game means every thing that nobody knows about. With the district privates on the rise and the publics taking some type fall, just dont over look these two public schools in the coming years

Better next year? Not so sure, even though they should repeat as disrtict champs. Peterson does a bunch of stuff that doesn't show up in the stats - blue collar guy. None of the younger guys coming up have his quickness, jumping ability, speed, nor defensive ability. He could play NAIA if he wanted too. Go Lions

Well it's just my opinion.

Obviously Z, Hunter, and David return, along with all of the bench.

Birkhead and Crenshaw have been out all year and were the first two off the bench this summer before they were out. They both have major talent.

Will Chapman is coming back to CPA next year after starting as a sophomore. He is just as draino as Miller and Anderson from 3.

Everyone will be one year better and more experienced. (And nobody improved as much as Reeves and Peterson this last off-season so what could that mean for this year's juniors?)

Nobody can predict the future so we'll just have to wait and see. But one thing is certain: CPA basketball has a bright future!

Well it's just my opinion.

Obviously Z, Hunter, and David return, along with all of the bench.

Birkhead and Crenshaw have been out all year and were the first two off the bench this summer before they were out. They both have major talent.

Will Chapman is coming back to CPA next year after starting as a sophomore. He is just as draino as Miller and Anderson from 3.

Everyone will be one year better and more experienced. (And nobody improved as much as Reeves and Peterson this last off-season so what could that mean for this year's juniors?)

Nobody can predict the future so we'll just have to wait and see. But one thing is certain: CPA basketball has a bright future!

You are right, CPA will be great at least another year. No way to go wrong with Z, Miller, and Anderson. Zelnick, Birkhead, and Ellson should factor in also. Unless you have an injury, don't even talk to me about guys that come and go as they please in a program of guys that leave their guts on the practice floor everyday.

You are right, CPA will be great at least another year. No way to go wrong with Z, Miller, and Anderson. Zelnick, Birkhead, and Ellson should factor in also. Unless you have an injury, don't even talk to me about guys that come and go as they please in a program of guys that leave their guts on the practice floor everyday.

Which guys come and go? I don't see that? I do see a program that has been working hard all year to get where they are right now. And, for the record, Kyle Reeves and Jake Peterson will be sorely missed! They are special young men who lead in many of the intangible ways. I don't think cpa's supporting cast will be better next year, even though the bench will be good. Jake and Kyle have been the perfect group to round out the starting five this year, and replacing them with some of the up and coming players, while necessary, will be more difficult than many people realize.

Which guys come and go? I don't see that? I do see a program that has been working hard all year to get where they are right now. And, for the record, Kyle Reeves and Jake Peterson will be sorely missed! They are special young men who lead in many of the intangible ways. I don't think cpa's supporting cast will be better next year, even though the bench will be good. Jake and Kyle have been the perfect group to round out the starting five this year, and replacing them with some of the up and coming players, while necessary, will be more difficult than many people realize.

No one on "this" CPA team comes and goes. I totally agree with your post. This is a special CPA team with chemistry that is amazing. They need to stay focused on this year and not let someone sneak up on them in the post season. Maddux knows this is the tough part.

Chapman

SCORES AND STANDINGS in 9AA Feburary 5th 2008

-all teams have one game left in district

SCORES

FRA 72, East Lit 38

David Libscomb 78, Ezell Harding 39

CPA 73, Hume Fogg 58

Martin Luther King at Pearl Cohn

STANDINGS

CPA 24-3(13-0)

David Libscomb 15-8(10-3)

FRA 17-12(9-4)

Pearl Cohn 9-9(7-5)*

Hume Fogg 11-10(5-8)

East Lit 8-14(3-10)

Martin Luther King 4-13(3-9)*

Ezell Harding 3-17(1-12)

NOTE: MLK AT PC was cancel due to elections at PC GYM, game will be reset for tomorrow

FRIDAY GAME WATCH: DAVID LIBSCOMB AT PEARL COHN

Chapman

Be careful judging this situation. Anyone, including you, would not pass up the opportunity he had this year even though it meant not playing a sport he loves for a school and team he loves.

The tough choices in life are not between what is good and bad, but what is between good and better.

Be careful judging this situation. Anyone, including you, would not pass up the opportunity he had this year even though it meant not playing a sport he loves for a school and team he loves.

The tough choices in life are not between what is good and bad, but what is between good and better.

No judgement - played last year - not this year - play next year?