Congrats to Memphis on Spring Fling

CoachT

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah..you're right Sourone. What the heck does Opperman know about Mempis anyways. He's only lived most of his life. I'd much rather listen to you. You MUST know everything about the city of Memphis because you live on the opposite side of the freaking state.

All joking aside, trust us on this one man. I've lived here almost 10 years myself and traffic,parking,etc is NOT THAT BAD. I'm sorry if you think otherwise but keep in mind Memphis(nor any other city) hosts an event as massive as the Lewis/Tyson Fight every weekend.I know it's easy to spit on Memphis cause the whole state hates the city. I can understand that. My family is from Ky and we can't stand Louisville..haha. But ya know what? It is still a great city with great people and contributes a lot to the state of Kentucky. Memphis is no different. Just try and keep an open mind about this. It may surprise you :)

What the heck am I blowing smoke about? Yes, Memphis is an easy place to get around in! Have you ever tried driving the 285 in Atlanta at rush hour? Have you ever tried driving the Dan Ryan, the Eisenhower, or anything else in Chicago at rush hour? Traffic in Memphis is *NOTHING* compared to a lot of other cities.

Ya know, sourandstupidone, every time you make an accusation, I confront it with facts, and you run and hide about it. I've been living here for 18 years, I know the area. You live 500 miles away, and you've apparently only been here on a few of our busiest weekends ever. I think I have a better grasp on what it's like around here.

The Spring Fling sites are easy to get to, safe, and far enough apart that the event traffic won't cause significant backups (as opposed to jamming 20-25,000 people downtown with police on their highest alert all year).

As ego said, Even at 4:30, 5:00, traffic moves pretty well...the east leg of 240 isn't a great place to be at rush hour, but traffic moves well on Mendenhall regardless. This as opposed to, say, Atlanta, where from roughly 4:30 to 6:30, 285, 75, 85, 75/85, 20, and even all the major surface streets grind to a halt.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The only, and I do mean only, negative of Memphis as a host city is its geography.

What, sourone? I don't get paid to do PR at AutoZone Park. I'm sick and tired of people making baseless attacks on my hometown! I don't do PR for anybody in Memphis. I'm simply defending my freaking hometown. If Memphis was as bad as people like you make it out to be, why are there still 1.1 million of us?

Look, I've lived in Memphis a long time. I've also traveled a good bit to other major cities. Memphis traffic is nothing. If you're comparing it to Erwin for traffic, then yeah it's awful. That said, Clarksville traffic is probably bad compared to Erwin. Knoxville traffic is nightmarish compared to that.

Ego, yeah, it moves fairly well most of the time, but I usually just take Mendenhall because nobody else does. :)

Guest Bravos32

There's no point in sitting there and just complaining about memphis, or saying the spring fling shouldn't be there. It's gonna be there, and there's nothing you can do about it. I go to school in Chattanooga, and by the looks of it, our team should hopefully be headed out there next season. See me complaining? No... It's a new thing, maybe change should be welcomed instead of treated with disdain.

[Edited by Bravos32 on 6/14/02 3:31P]

Oh yeah...one more thing. This afternoon, I left my house near Bartlett HS at the beginning of rush hour...went a bit south of downtown (near Booker T. Washington HS) to pick up our van from the shop...about 15 miles away. Went in, filled out the paperwork, paid for it, all that jazz (about 15-20 mins), and was home an hour and 10 mins after I left. So much for "it takes 15 minutes to go 2 blocks" at rush hour, sourgrape.

They should allow 3 hours for travel time to Millington if they're staying in Dickson...or if they want to be bored out of their minds for 2 and a half hours after they get there.

And realize, that hour and 10 minutes included about 15-20 minutes of paperwork, etc. at the shop...and we took Stage to Austin Peay to 40 to 240 to Crump to the shop...not exactly back roads there. And again I point out, this was at rush hour. Look, your posts are full of misconceptions and lies...at least be reasonable enough to listen when people who actually know an area tell you that what you keep saying is wrong. I'm not on here talking about traffic in Erwin, and it's because I haven't been there enough to know what it's like. Likewise, you shouldn't talk about normal Memphis traffic...you don't know what it's normally like if you're saying something as dumb as "you can't go 2 blocks in 15 minutes."