CPA @ Goodpasture... again

matt610

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been watching CPA football games for 15 years and tonight's game with Goodpasture was the second best game I have ever seen (behind the OT win over Boyd Buchanan for the state championship). Unfortunately, one team had to lose tonight and it was my CPA Lions - 47-41 in OT.

GP jumped out to a 14-0 lead in the 1st quarter on 2 long runs. CPA came back and tied the game 14-14. GP scored again and CPA tied it up 21-21 at half.

CPA finally took a lead 34-28 in the second half, but missed the PAT. GP came right back and scored to go up 35-34. After holding CPA, GP scored but missed their PAT to go up 41-34 with 7 minutes to go. CPA then took the ball on a 5 minute drive capped by a Lowery to Weir TD pass. CPA elected to kick and tie the game 41-41 with 2 minutes to go. GP drove to CPA's 35 but lost yardage on a run, then threw an interception that CPA's Weir ran to midfield as time expired..

In OT, CPA lost the toss, went first, and in 2 plays Lowery ran the ball to the 1. On 3rd and 1, Lowery mishandled the shotgun snap (the first time all night) and lost 6 yards. On 4th and 7, CPA was intercepted in the end zone.

GP took over and scored on 2 running plays to win 47-41.

Both teams played GREAT ball. There were only one punt per team in the game. CPA's defense played well but gave up several long runs, a long TD pass on 3rd and long and a kickoff return for a TD. Only 1 turnover in regulation per team and only 4-5 penalties in the game. The refs did a great job, IMO, letting the teams play and calling what needed to be called.

I will say this: Goodpasture's backs are as good a group as you will find in any classification, 1A to 5A. They have 5-6 backs who are all fast and run hard.

CPA's QB, Lowery, had a FANTASTIC game. He ran the ball probably 30 times and GP just couldn't stop him. The mishandled snap in OT was really the only time he didn't get yardage in the game, and it was the difference in the outcome.

It was a real shame one of these two teams had to lose because I believe GP will play Alcoa in the finals and if CPA had won, I believe they would also have made it to the finals.

Good luck to GP. They were the survivors and are a classy and tough bunch.

I have been watching CPA football games for 15 years and tonight's game with Goodpasture was the second best game I have ever seen (behind the OT win over Boyd Buchanan for the state championship). Unfortunately, one team had to lose tonight and it was my CPA Lions - 47-41 in OT.

GP jumped out to a 14-0 lead in the 1st quarter on 2 long runs. CPA came back and tied the game 14-14. GP scored again and CPA tied it up 21-21 at half.

CPA finally took a lead 34-28 in the second half, but missed the PAT. GP came right back and scored to go up 35-34. After holding CPA, GP scored but missed their PAT to go up 41-34 with 7 minutes to go. CPA then took the ball on a 5 minute drive capped by a Lowery to Weir TD pass. CPA elected to kick and tie the game 41-41 with 2 minutes to go. GP drove to CPA's 35 but lost yardage on a run, then threw an interception that CPA's Weir ran to midfield as time expired..

In OT, CPA lost the toss, went first, and in 2 plays Lowery ran the ball to the 1. On 3rd and 1, Lowery mishandled the shotgun snap (the first time all night) and lost 6 yards. On 4th and 7, CPA was intercepted in the end zone.

GP took over and scored on 2 running plays to win 47-41.

Both teams played GREAT ball. There were only one punt per team in the game. CPA's defense played well but gave up several long runs, a long TD pass on 3rd and long and a kickoff return for a TD. Only 1 turnover in regulation per team and only 4-5 penalties in the game. The refs did a great job, IMO, letting the teams play and calling what needed to be called.

I will say this: Goodpasture's backs are as good a group as you will find in any classification, 1A to 5A. They have 5-6 backs who are all fast and run hard.

CPA's QB, Lowery, had a FANTASTIC game. He ran the ball probably 30 times and GP just couldn't stop him. The mishandled snap in OT was really the only time he didn't get yardage in the game, and it was the difference in the outcome.

It was a real shame one of these two teams had to lose because I believe GP will play Alcoa in the finals and if CPA had won, I believe they would also have made it to the finals.

Good luck to GP. They were the survivors and are a classy and tough bunch.

CPA and Goodpasture as divepix said was a great game. These were two really great teams trying to knock each other out and it really is a shame that they played each other so soon but that is the TSSAA magic formula at work called the z plan. It was one of the best games that I had seen since we played Milan last year.

This kid Lowery is going to make a college coach somewhere very happy. He has to have a lot of offers already. CPA's running back during the game started getting sick on the field and after halftime came right back out and played a fantastic game. The kids, coaches and fans have a lot of class over at CPA and I wish all of those players the best of luck.

Now it's down to Camden next week. Hope someone can give me some good directions on how to get there from this board. I have lost the directions I used a couple of years ago.

Great game! It's sad that these two teams had to play each other in the first round. CPA goes out of the season looking a lot worse in the record books and on paper than they really are. Congrats to Goodpasture, I hope you guy beat Alcoa in state. Two great programs and top 4 teams in 2a, a shame one had to loose.

Thanks CPA seniors for being role models on and off the field! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Great game! It's sad that these two teams had to play each other in the first round. CPA goes out of the season looking a lot worse in the record books and on paper than they really are. Congrats to Goodpasture, I hope you guy beat Alcoa in state. Two great programs and top 4 teams in 2a, a shame one had to loose.

Thanks CPA seniors for being role models on and off the field! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

CPA played a heck of a schedule. There a good football team.

As soon as GP scored to win in OT, CPA's All-State senior receiver, Tripp Wier, ran to the cheerleaders and sideline and encouraged the fans and cheerleaders to show class and he gathered his heartbroken teammates to rush to the GP players to congratulate them.

CPA Coach Matthews and the GP coaches spoke and prayed at midfield with both team's players all together on one knee. These two programs play hard and hate to lose, but they displayed a proper perspective on sports versus their faith and witness.

Most of the GP fans were calling Lowery "Tim Tebow." He is a great QB. Is he going anywhere? Its sad that this game was not played in round 4. But then again, TSSAA hates private schools. Even the friday Tennessean sports page was dedicated to the "private school hating fan club."

I don't think the Tssaa hates private schools. If they did you would't be playing 2a.