Brentwood v ECS

eaglefan71

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe.....ankle sprains (and high ankle sprains) have been around for years.....since time began. You ice it, put heat on it, the ankle loosens up and you play through the pain. Eventually, it gets better. He has pretty much rested his ankle for a good part of the season...sources tell me he could have played against MBA. He dressed for the game and appeared to run on and off the field fine at the MBA halftime and at the end of the game. Very hard for old timers who played under coach Flatt in the 70's & 80's to understand...unless you were going in for surgury, or dead...... you continued to play...players were known to tape body parts(limbs) to their chest to keep playing....I remember football season being a time when everyone had lots of injuries, but continued to play....separated shoulders, sprained ankles, sprained knees, broken noses, broken fingers, broken wrists and arms..stitches..bruised kidneys...you name it..injury and playing thru the pain was part of the sport...I believe the MBA QB this year has been playing with a cracked bone in his leg since early in the season! He played with it cracked against BA! This time of year, no one is really at "100%" and definitely banged up. Football is a rough sport. Injury is part of it. I guess kids nowdays are handled a little different...he has played sparingly much of the season.....when he is on, he is in his own league and unstoppable....definitely has the physical tools to play DI.....For the good of the team, I'm gonna now be quiet. CJ is a phenomenal talent.

As CJ can be a dominating player when he wants to, I hope he brings his "A" game for the remainder of the season! If he cannot play, I will take sophmore Josh Tate's toughness all day. He is going to be a good one!

. . . yea, we were all tougher back in the day. You and I both probably walked up hill both ways to school carrying tuba's each way . . . but with a game in hand (like this one was tonight from the work go) why would you risk playing CJ? Could he have played in the second half? I'm sure he could have. But why?? With the exception of MBA (and unless your "source" is his folks or the team trainers I'd be careful what you believe . . .) I'd say they've used CJ wisely.

Just because we did it in the old days or because Coach Flatt did it doesn't make it the smartest play. . . Maybe kids are handled a little differently these days -- maybe it's a smarter way.

. . . yea, we were all tougher back in the day. You and I both probably walked up hill both ways to school carrying tuba's each way . . . but with a game in hand (like this one was tonight from the work go) why would you risk playing CJ? Could he have played in the second half? I'm sure he could have. But why?? With the exception of MBA (and unless your "source" is his folks or the team trainers I'd be careful what you believe . . .) I'd say they've used CJ wisely.

Just because we did it in the old days or because Coach Flatt did it doesn't make it the smartest play. . . Maybe kids are handled a little differently these days -- maybe it's a smarter way.

I don't remember any tubas at BA /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ......don't remember having much of a band either.....the fabled Labor Day practices and countless times in The Box during jr high and high school are my faint remembrances at BA...took too many licks to the head to remember much more.... /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> .

The "source" was as good as you write without giving up the name out of respect to him.....this person is with the team every game, long time affiliation with BA and well respected....very well known inside the program....

If it was for the best that he has been utilized sparingly to rest his ankle, hopefully he will be 100% against Ensworth and beyond. If he will give 100%, and will play at 100%, he will be unstopable. By doing this, he will help his team in their quest for another gold ball!

Don't know......but Coach Flatt is my pick......i'd go to war with him in my camp any day. Tough as nails and a fighter.....great molder of boys to men.....taught us to overcome adversary.....he would push someone beyond what they thought they could handle.....to play/work thru pain, both mentally and physically.

I don't remember any tubas at BA /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ......don't remember having much of a band either.....the fabled Labor Day practices and countless times in The Box during jr high and high school are my faint remembrances at BA...took too many licks to the head to remember much more.... /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> .

The "source" was as good as you write without giving up the name out of respect to him.....this person is with the team every game, long time affiliation with BA and well respected....very well known inside the program....

If it was for the best that he has been utilized sparingly to rest his ankle, hopefully he will be 100% against Ensworth and beyond. If he will give 100%, and will play at 100%, he will be unstopable. By doing this, he will help his team in their quest for another gold ball!

Don't know......but Coach Flatt is my pick......i'd go to war with him in my camp any day. Tough as nails and a fighter.....great molder of boys to men.....taught us to overcome adversary.....he would push someone beyond what they thought they could handle.....to play/work thru pain, both mentally and physically.

I am in total agreement with the coaching staff on this one. BA was going to win this game, with or without Chris. A BA Coach told me that CJ's ankle sprain was severe enough after the JPII game that the Dr/Trainer said he could keep playing, but unless it was rested, he was at risk for surgery. Resting him while the game is at hand, but still keeping him sharp, is a very smart move. On another note, kids today are still tough...a big difference is the depth at BA. A fresh 2nd teamer is probably better today than back in the 70's and 80's.

I am in total agreement with the coaching staff on this one. BA was going to win this game, with or without Chris. A BA Coach told me that CJ's ankle sprain was severe enough after the JPII game that the Dr/Trainer said he could keep playing, but unless it was rested, he was at risk for surgery. Resting him while the game is at hand, but still keeping him sharp, is a very smart move. On another note, kids today are still tough...a big difference is the depth at BA. A fresh 2nd teamer is probably better today than back in the 70's and 80's.

I would definitely say bigger, but not better. The school in the 80's had college coaches coming on a regular basis.....never been a better QB at BA than Kent Austin (1980) or WR than Jimmy Hockaday(1982)...my guess is that Jason Cook STILL holds the school rushing record (1989)....Bubba Miller (UT&Philly Eagles) started in the 1988-89 state championships...players went to schools all over the SEC, and from as far south as FL (BA equipment manager turned Florida walk on to ALL-SEC tight end/Chicago Bear Tremayne Allen....barely played at BA) to Penn State (Gregg Johnson)...Many BA track records are still in tact from the '80s, including my brothers 19 year old long jump record (2x state champ)..6 of the 20 track records are 10 years or older....athletes were as good, but not as big overall...intensity levels were much higher then....#15 Jeremy Martin would have fit in well regarding intensity level and toughness..throwback to past eras... ..gotta go to BA this morning.....

I would definitely say bigger, but not better. The school in the 80's had college coaches coming on a regular basis.....probably never been a better QB than Kent Austin (1980) or WR than Jimmy Hockaday(1982)...my guess is that Jason Cook STILL holds the school rushing record ((1989)....Bubba Miller (UT&Philly Eagles)3astarted in the 1988-89 state championships...players went to schools all over the SEC, and from as far south as FL (BA manager turned ALL-SEC tight end Tremayne Allen....barely played at BA) to Penn State (Gregg Johnson)...Many BA track records are still in tact from the '80s, including my brothers long jump record (2x state champ)...athletes were as good, but not as big overall...intensity levels were much higher then....#15 Jeremy Martin would have fit in well regarding intensity level and toughness..throwback to past eras... ..gotta go to BA thyis morning.....

Not sure how CJ's ankle morphed into a comparison of 80's teams vs current, but I'm still not completely buying your argument. We've currently got players all over the SEC (Auburn, Alabama, TN) and as far as Nebraska. Still have coaches walking the halls regularly (loved the story of Saban visiting with his advance team). I would never dispute C. Flatt's ability to coach, his toughness or especially his ability to mold men and his love for his players and the school. I'm not saying that today's team(s) are better than the 80's or 90's teams, but they'd hold their own. You really can't compare teams across years like this because the athletes change so much.

But if you are questioning the current teams toughness or somehow implying that "in the day" CJ would have been out there in the second half last night than I'd tell you that it wouldn't have been a smart coaching move. Why risk it when you know you'll need him at as close to 100% in the next week (and hopefully two . . .).

Not sure how CJ's ankle morphed into a comparison of 80's teams vs current, but I'm still not completely buying your argument. We've currently got players all over the SEC (Auburn, Alabama, TN) and as far as Nebraska. Still have coaches walking the halls regularly (loved the story of Saban visiting with his advance team). I would never dispute C. Flatt's ability to coach, his toughness or especially his ability to mold men and his love for his players and the school. I'm not saying that today's team(s) are better than the 80's or 90's teams, but they'd hold their own. You really can't compare teams across years like this because the athletes change so much.

But if you are questioning the current teams toughness or somehow implying that "in the day" CJ would have been out there in the second half last night than I'd tell you that it wouldn't have been a smart coaching move. Why risk it when you know you'll need him at as close to 100% in the next week (and hopefully two . . .).

Not sure either! Athletics have been great for a long time.....you got to see Saban.....I got to see Johnny Majors, and The Bear visited as well....We are on the same page. CJ needs to be at 100% for his last two games of his short career at BA. He has only played in about 10 games since he came to the school two years ago. He has spent a lot of time injured both seasons. WE NEED HIM out there as a player and senior leader. At this part of the season, it is time to play thru the pain of a sprained ankle.