Cutting Weight = Fleeing?

wosbodog

A lot of people who aren't familiar with our sport just don't grasp the idea of cutting weight. I've had people ask me, "why in the world do you have to lose so much weight?" And I have a tough time explaining. Generally a wrestler will drop a few pounds to get in a weight class he thinks he has a better shot at winning. I'm beginning to wonder is that the same as just running away from the competition? Are we cowards because we avoid having to wrestle heavier guys?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. It's a simple concept that, if I lose 7 or 8 pounds and go from 152 to 145, I will have an advantage over those that are natural 145s. Some guys feel that they need that slight size and strength advantage. It's all part of the sport.

It's all over MMA. Pretty much everybody who fights at 185 walks around at close to 200lbs, for axample.

A lot of people who aren't familiar with our sport just don't grasp the idea of cutting weight. I've had people ask me, "why in the world do you have to lose so much weight?" And I have a tough time explaining. Generally a wrestler will drop a few pounds to get in a weight class he thinks he has a better shot at winning. I'm beginning to wonder is that the same as just running away from the competition? Are we cowards because we avoid having to wrestle heavier guys?

I thought you were going to do plays this year. Are you now going to wrestle to win a State Title for your girlfriend?

bcb iii /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I thought you were going to do plays this year. Are you now going to wrestle to win a State Title for your girlfriend?

bcb iii /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

It's not really about that anymore. Yes, I'm still going to do plays; opening night is Thursday. And yes, I am planning to wrestle. My drama director and wrestling coach have both been very understanding and supportive. I may have to miss a few practices, but they've been a lot more flexible than I thought. As for the whole girl thing, now I realize that was a little far-fetched. But I do want to make my school proud and now that it's my senior year it's my last chance to go out a winner. Anyway this time I'll try to know when to shut up. That whole episode you refer to BCB, is really humiliating to me now and I'd rather not bring it up again. I do appreciate the interest though.

But about the weight cutting, my teacher keeps ribbing me and calling me a wimp for trying to drop a weight class, so I was wondering what other people's views were.

It's not really about that anymore. Yes, I'm still going to do plays; opening night is Thursday. And yes, I am planning to wrestle. My drama director and wrestling coach have both been very understanding and supportive. I may have to miss a few practices, but they've been a lot more flexible than I thought. As for the whole girl thing, now I realize that was a little far-fetched. But I do want to make my school proud and now that it's my senior year it's my last chance to go out a winner. Anyway this time I'll try to know when to shut up. That whole episode you refer to BCB, is really humiliating to me now and I'd rather not bring it up again. I do appreciate the interest though.

But about the weight cutting, my teacher keeps ribbing me and calling me a wimp for trying to drop a weight class, so I was wondering what other people's views were.

It should be about finding your ideal weight, not what the competition may or may not be doing. Excess body fat is not going to help you win matches so body fat % should be your first clue as to how much weight cutting is in order. If you are walking around at 5 or 6 % ( or less ) TSSAA and common sense says you shouldn't be cutting any. If you are already low body fat, weigh yourself AFTER a hard practice, whatever class you are within a pound or two of is probably where you want to compete. If you are over 10% bodyfat dropping a weight class seems a reasonable goal. If you fall in between 6 and 10 you have a decision to make. You may consider what the competition is doing but don't dwell on it. Dropping weight just to avoid one wrestler ( unless he happens to be on your team ) is usually a mistake. While you are focusing on the favorite, the rest of the pack is waiting to derail your state title dreams. Figure out where you feel the best. Not scientific, just my observation but it seems some of the really agressive weight droppers seem much more prone to sickness and injury. One may think having a 135 pound physique in the 119 pound class is a sure fire way to win a title but you get yourself run down enough to pick up flu or mono at the state meet you will be almost guaranteed to be watching the medal rounds from the spectator stands.

Movies like " Reversal " and " Vision Quest " where weightcutting seems to be the only thing the champs focus on really don't help our sport. We don't need to be adding to the sterotype.

It should be about finding your ideal weight, not what the competition may or may not be doing. Excess body fat is not going to help you win matches so body fat % should be your first clue as to how much weight cutting is in order. If you are walking around at 5 or 6 % ( or less ) TSSAA and common sense says you shouldn't be cutting any. If you are already low body fat, weigh yourself AFTER a hard practice, whatever class you are within a pound or two of is probably where you want to compete. If you are over 10% bodyfat dropping a weight class seems a reasonable goal. If you fall in between 6 and 10 you have a decision to make. You may consider what the competition is doing but don't dwell on it. Dropping weight just to avoid one wrestler ( unless he happens to be on your team ) is usually a mistake. While you are focusing on the favorite, the rest of the pack is waiting to derail your state title dreams. Figure out where you feel the best. Not scientific, just my observation but it seems some of the really agressive weight droppers seem much more prone to sickness and injury. One may think having a 135 pound physique in the 119 pound class is a sure fire way to win a title but you get yourself run down enough to pick up flu or mono at the state meet you will be almost guaranteed to be watching the medal rounds from the spectator stands.

Movies like " Reversal " and " Vision Quest " where weightcutting seems to be the only thing the champs focus on really don't help our sport. We don't need to be adding to the sterotype.

Maj

Do you coach wrestling? You could write a book on this. Thanks for the information.

A sure fire way to get the flu and mono? You a doctor? that is a pretty wild claim you got there. Have you ever been to a NCAA tourny? 99% of the kids are cutting a TON of weight. And they can GO!! Cutitng weight is like anything else, do it wrong and look for short cuts and there can be negative consequenses. Do it right through hard work and self disapline and it can be good for you. Telling a kid if you are 10% it si ok adn if you are at 7% it is not is to general. the test has a huge margin of error so picking the special number that a kid can cut to is a bit silly. NOt to mention that your weight "after practice" is your dehyrated weight so if we are being pc about this whole cutting thing we should use our before practice weight. It is a personal decision between kid/parent and coach. As wrestling may need some guidelines there is nothing wrong with cutting weight.

Lowden MADE THE WEIGHT AND BEAT SHOOT! And he got the girl!(Linda Forentino was sooo hot, I would have sniffed her drawers too!) He woprked his butt off to achieve something that was important to him and achieved his goal. How can that be negative? We must have seen different movies. (can you hear Lunatic Fringe playing in your head too?) Just my 2 cents