2A playoffs

LSMFT

Actually there were more.

JCS moved from 1a to 2a and I think there may have been a couple in the east.

There was only two schools add to 2a and that was Hickman Co. and East Hickman. They could have been added into the 8 regions IMO. We played in a 10 team Region for 4 years in 3a and it was one of the best things that happen to our program. The TSSAA did this to test it out to see if they would like to do this in all classes.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree with the 9 regions and having no more than 9 in a region. What's more, is all of the new teams were in the most crowded part of the state as far as 2A goes. Chattanooga still only has 5 or 6 teams in that region. More of this sort of thing is coming. As new schools are built and smaller schools add football programs, there's going to be a need for more regions. 32 teams is a pretty good jumping off place for having a playoff without byes. That would be a mess unto itself.

I thought the Z Plan had a lot of potential and that the TSSAA was finally going about doing something the right way. I'm disappointed that it doesn't appear to be an improvement from the previous system. My team didn't even make the playoffs. I'm just calling a spade a spade. Division II has to travel from one end of the state to the other for playoff games. I'd much rather see the state divided in half and seeded accordingly than to have a bastardized version of the old system where basically you face the same region year after year after year if not the same teams you just got through playing. That goes for all classifications. Seed half the state or draw them out of the hat. I don't care which. A little more variety, even if it's arbitrary, couldn't be any worse than what we've got now. Have a special week of the season where a percentage of the proceeds goes towards travel expenses during the playoffs.

I mean we go through a different process in basketball and baseball to get to a final 8 and then we just draw names out of a hat. What is so different about football? What's more, we've got Earl Nall, the Massey System, even unapproved website.com that have a rating system in place that is amazingly accurate in many instances. Seeding should be a no brainer. The strong regions are penalized for being strong. CPA wouldn't be a 6 seed or Goodpasture a 3. They darn well wouldn't be playing each other in the first round. Even if TSSAA kept the quadrants the same and seeded according to these sort of ratings, coaches and fans wouldn't have much to complain about. What's more, is now that the coaches have it figured out, they'd be crazy to schedule up. Overall record means everything when it comes to making the playoffs and seeding. Harpeth drops their in county rival game with 3A Sycamore and picks up 1A Nashville Christian and they have a better shot at the playoffs.