2A playoffs

LSMFT

I'm very, very surprised CAK fans aren't complaining. In the east, they definitely got the shaft. They should be in the lower bracket; they should be the #3 seed in the east with the schedule they played. Just because they have one more loss than region 1 teams, but they're schedule was tougher. I thought strength of schedule was going to count for something, but I guess not. But, they're #4, and, providing Alcoa and CAK win Friday, will meet Alcoa in the 2nd round instead of in the Quarters (when it should be).

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pay attention gocart...I said Westwood. Not Westview. Huntingdon got the best draw in the quadrant seeded #4.

Whatever. Looks like Westview to me in the first line.....

In region 8--Milan is playing JCS, and Huntingdon is playing Westview...again. These are the 4 best in the region, and should have been rewarded with something better than this. Huntingdon, the #4 seed, got the best draw of the entire quadrant, playing a 3-7 Westwood team. The Z-plan is a joke!

pay attention gocart...I said Westwood. Not Westview. Huntingdon got the best draw in the quadrant seeded #4.

Pay attention buster. You did correctly state that Huntingdon is playing Westwood. You also stated, incorrectly, that Westview is playing Huntingdon, when I'm sure you meant Westview is playing Peabody. You were wrong. Gocart was right. Twice. Check your original post.

Back to the discussion...

Anyone with a logical bone in his body will agree that the seeding of the westernmost quadrant is unfair. Under no circumstances should the four best teams in the bracket be pitted against each other in the first round. It only assures that two very good teams go home prematurely and that at least one inferior team lives to play another game by default. I sincerely hope that TSSAA re-examines the seeding procedures for next season, because the inaugural implementation of the Z-Plan is laughable.

Although I cheer for Cumberland Gap and hope they go all they way, I hate this new playoff system. You all are right, many teams got shafted in this whole deal. Although our fans can't complain, many can. I think they should go back to where only the top 3 in the region made it and the # 1's got a bye in the first rd. It'd make a lot of things more fair to everyone involved. But anyway, we only go with what the "smart" guys at the tssaa put on the table so we are stuck with it for now. So, Go Panthers, I hope you guys make it and get to play someone from region 2 and prove you belong where you are. Good luck to all teams in the playoffs and I hope everyone makes it through injury free and there are some good ballgames for us fans to watch.

I think the complaints surround the fact that, in certain region pairings, there are less "cupcake" opponents in the 1st round. For example, Peabody-Westview or CPA-Goodpasture.

These may be match ups we'd be more accustomed to see in the 2nd or 3rd rounds.

I'm not crazy about the Z-Plan, but to get to M'boro you've got to eventually beat the good teams...Milan, Alcoa, Westview, Goodpasture, Smith County, CPA, Lewis County....etc...etc...etc

Nobody wants to lose in the 1st round, but this year, if it happens, it won't be as embarrassing.

It boils down to complaints about travel costs and losing teams making the playoffs. Both of these problems have been lessened.

It ain't perfect, but It's better than the current system in place for the other classifications. Also Div II gives out empty titles. Eliminate D-II and fold them all in 5A for Large D-II and 4A for the small D-II schools. That's my flawed opinion as a lowly 1A assistant coach.

I guess my complaint is that nobody seems to be trying to make it perfect. Surely when the TSSAA came up with a new plan that alot of coaches were against from the get go, they could foresee some of the pitfalls that lay ahead. It seems not. It looks thrown together.

The old region to region matchups just shafted other schools. The West Tennessee region just didn't have to worry about facing each other because their first round competition was so weak. Those that have to play the regions that Alcoa and Goodpasture are in were looking forward to seeing how they compete with other regions. Those getting 'shafted' just shifted a little is all. Raise your hand if you want to face Alcoa or Goodpasture before the 3rd round. Nobody else does either. Playing the same teams you just got through playing in the first round is my only complaint. I'd rather travel than to do that.

It ain't perfect, but It's better than the current system in place for the other classifications. Also Div II gives out empty titles. Eliminate D-II and fold them all in 5A for Large D-II and 4A for the small D-II schools. That's my flawed opinion as a lowly 1A assistant coach.

So Davidson Academy, Bishop Byrnes, & Harding Academy should all be 4A schools which compete against Hillsboro and Maryville? You might want to rethink that idea. I would agree with your assessment of a "flawed opinion."

So what was the point of screwing with last year's playoff system?

As of this year, 2A has 9 regions instead of 8 regions like all other classes. So, you cannot just take the top 4 teams in each region as in the past.

JMHO. The brackets make the folks who designed this system look like they did not put much thought into their criteria for setting up each quadrant. As ksgovols said, "It looks thrown together". I agree with him.

One extra region had to be added as the regions were becoming far too large. That resulted in 9 regions which changes the whole playoff method.

There was only two schools add to 2a and that was Hickman Co. and East Hickman. They could have been added into the 8 regions IMO. We played in a 10 team Region for 4 years in 3a and it was one of the best things that happen to our program. The TSSAA did this to test it out to see if they would like to do this in all classes.