McNairy Central vs David Lipscomb

sportsnutdad

We welcome Alltherage to Coacht. It would appear that you are relatively new to this forum. You might want to learn more about the David Lipscomb program before you make these "original" comments. Lipscomb is not like BA, MBA and the others. I referenced these points in a earlier thread which you probably missed, perhaps they will help you understand how weak your comment is:

1. A head coach who has been at the school for 26 seasons.

2. Assistant coaches who have been with the program for about 15 years.

3. A conditioning and lifting program that is year round with parents and the players signing a committment agreement.

4. A team with a feeder system, a middle school team who basically run the same offense and the same defensive calls as the varsity (The fifth and sixth grade teams who are now familiar with the Lipscomb calls)

5. A B-Team with their own schedule

6. A stand alone freshman team with their own schedule

7. No financial aid

8. You do all of the above with less than half of what public schools have in their varsity football budget

9. A senior class who have spent 6 years within the same system.

Stability equals success. It took about 7-8 seasons before Lipscomb became a consistent winner and it took them 13 years before playing in their first State Championship game. Most public schools will replace their head coach and staff long before that and that program ususally has to start over.

So its a story not about recruitment, financial aid, work-study or even a football budget...its a stable and long system which has provided a proven track record. It took 20 years to get to this level of consistency of competing yearly for State Championships.

So we have given you the business plan. Encourage your school to institute it and remain committed to the plan. I imagine that you could also witness success.

Vandy did a fine job of illustrating DL's framework for success. They have a well organized program. If McNairy has a great defense and a ball control running game that doesn't turn the ball over...they should keep it close. Otherwise, the mustangs will win by a couple touchdowns.

I think the rest of Region 6 has a good chance to win their matchups with Region 5. Fayette-Ware, South Side, and Bolivar are all quality teams.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was just informing the fans of players to watch for, not "expounding contributions".

McNairy will see a real team this week? So the Dyer Co. team that you were cheering, are they a fake team? You know, the one McNairy manhandled during the regular season. The one you think will meet DL in the semis. You said they came together as a "T-E-A-M" after that loss. Well they had to, McNairy ripped them apart. I really can't see how someone from 7-3A can come on this topic and bash a 6-3A team. A 5-3A school has knocked you guys out of the playoffs the last 2 years just like us. You guys go around shouting that you have the stronger region, but give me the last 2 region champion's (since the re-classification) record in the playoffs and then prove you have a stronger region. A 2-8 Sheffield knocks one out, and a 5-3A school (DL) knocks the other out.

5-3A just has better football right know. I picked Dyersburg to win state at the first of the year, but they will have to upset a 5-3A team to do so. If the bracket was switched and 7-3A had to get through 5-3A, we would never see you guys in the semis either.

I SUPPORT BOTH DHS TROJANS, DYER COUNTY AS I HAVE STRONG ROOTS WITH BOTH SCHOOLS. NO DC ISNT FAKE AS ARE NONE OF THE PLAYOFF TEAMS. I NEVER REFERENCE TO ANY TEAM AS A FAKE ,THE MCNAIRY LOSS WAS THE WAKE UP CALL FOR THE CHOCTAWS. THE 5-A TEAM WAS DL, AS WILL BE THE CASE THIS YEAR TOO UNLESS SOMEONE STEPS UP. MITCHELL,SHEFFIELD,HAYWOOD,DHS,DC ALL HAVE THE OUTSIDE EDGE BUT ONE NEVER KNOWS WHAT MAY OR MAY NOT HAPPEN ANY GIVEN FRIDAY NIGHT ESPECIALLY DURING THE PLAYOFFS. BTW A PERSON CAN GIVE THEIR OPIONION ON ANY THREAD! IM NOT BASHING STATING MY OPIONION ! YOU ARE CORRECT MCNAIRY WILL PLAY A VERY GOOD TEAM FRIDAY NIGHT, PLEASE REFER TO MY EARLIER POST BEFORE MAKING ASSUMPTIONS,MOST LIKELY DL WILL BE 3-AAA STATE CHAMPS !

Peter Powell's Lipscomb Game Day Notes will soon be posted on the Mustangfanpage featuring their matchup with McNairy Central. See Rosters, Scouting Reports and special features. Game will be broadcasted live over WAMB And WKDA AM, 900 and 1200 and live over the internet at the Mustangfanpage. Click here and you will be directed to the site. McNairy Central fans may want to hit the site to get traveling directions and information about the Lipscomb facility.

This is what happens every year from someone from region 6. Their head is stuck so far in the ground about football in Middle Tn.....that they are clueless.

First of all I don't go to McNairy. I follow high school football in west and middle Tennessee. I am not trying to say David Lipscomb is not a good football team...if they weren't a good football team then they wouldn't be 9-1. All I am saying is that they are being glorified by every one from middle Tennessee. Middle Tennessee football is no better than west Tennessee football. McNairy and Lipscomb are evenly matched but I think McNairy will out play Lipscomb.

First of all I don't go to McNairy. I follow high school football in west and middle Tennessee. I am not trying to say David Lipscomb is not a good football team...if they weren't a good football team then they wouldn't be 9-1. All I am saying is that they are being glorified by every one from middle Tennessee. Middle Tennessee football is no better than west Tennessee football. McNairy and Lipscomb are evenly matched but I think McNairy will out play Lipscomb.

Your prediction is so noted.

McNairy is the only team you ever post about and its always the same thing. "McNairy will outplay _______ because they are overrated." See the Southside vs McNairy thread for a reference.

McNairy is the underdog here, they are not evenly matched. McNairy has a good football team this year, but DL has on heck of a team plus they usually crank it up a notch this time of year. It will be had for McNairy to pull this upset, but I will be pulling for them. 5-3A has a tough bunch of teams in the playoffs every year. The 2005 Lexington team was the best team ever to play in this region, DL beat them 28-0. They've got the edge, this year our region doesn't have an easy out. I'll be pulling for the Bobcats, but it would be a major upset if they could pull this off.

bobcat:

Not to pick on you personally, but your statement above could not be farther from the truth. I went back to 1982 (25 years and the modern era) and looked at all champions in football combining all classes. Out of 130 Champions (Class A, AA, AAA, 4A, 5A, DIV I, DIV II) - a GRAND total of 6 teams hailed from West Tennessee when you remove Shelby County teams from the equation. That's a very less than impressive 4%. Those teams are:

2006 - Jackson Christian

2003 - Huntingdon

1999 - Milan

1998 - Milan

1989 - Bruceton Central

1985 - Lake County

That's it. And if you want to include Shelby County teams, the West Tennessee total of champions only climbs to 25 total. And without listing them all, I can tell you that the majority were won by either Bishop Byrne, Briarcrest, Memphis University School, and Evangelical Christian School (11 of the 25 among these 4 schools). Germantown and Melrose combined to win 4 additional titles during that time.

In direct comparison, Middle Tennessee teams (outside of Davidson County) combined to win 39 of 130 Championships from 1982-2006. That relates to 30% of all titles won during that timeframe. And for all the titles that Brentwood Academy (Williamson County) has won, if you take them and other major metropolitan teams out of the equation, Middle Tennessee teams have still won 25 of 130 Championships. When you throw in Davidson County teams, Middle Tennessee boasts 62 of 130 Championships during the past 25 years ( 48%).

I grew up in West Tennessee and used to vehemently defend that part of the state as it pertains to HS football. But having lived in Middle Tennessee now since the mid 1990's, I can honestly say that there is no comparison. Middle Tennessee plays a far superior brand of football than does West Tennessee. And the facts back that up.

Rounding out the stats, East Tennessee garnered 40 of 130 Champions during the past 25 years (31%). When you take Knox County and Hamilton County metro teams out of the equation, 27 teams still won titles (21%).

So any way you slice it, West Tennessee football does not stack up to the rest of the state. History bears that fact out. I don't think anyone is disrespecting teams like McNairy, Henry County, Dyer County, McKenzie, etc. Close observers just know that history is grossly against WT teams coming out Champions come playoff time.

How many West Tn. teams have made it to the 3A title game the last few years? Lipscomb and McNairy are not evenly matched and that will be proven on the field on Friday night. This one will be over by halftime. Book It!

McNairy is the only team you ever post about and its always the same thing. "McNairy will outplay _______ because they are overrated." See the Southside vs McNairy thread for a reference.

McNairy is the underdog here, they are not evenly matched. McNairy has a good football team this year, but DL has on heck of a team plus they usually crank it up a notch this time of year. It will be had for McNairy to pull this upset, but I will be pulling for them. 5-3A has a tough bunch of teams in the playoffs every year. The 2005 Lexington team was the best team ever to play in this region, DL beat them 28-0. They've got the edge, this year our region doesn't have an easy out. I'll be pulling for the Bobcats, but it would be a major upset if they could pull this off.

I agree with you. Lexington was faster than DL but they out executed us bad. The score could have been worse than 28-0.

The key to beating them is getting off blocks on defense and when you have the ball you to be able to block their ends with one guy. We couldn't. They ate our line up and lb's ran free. The biggest difference between DL and most schools is execution and that comes from coaching and having a real program that develops kids. Most public schools don't have the resources to fund enough coaches to do that and at lexington, for example, we don't have enough players to fill out a jv team and a varsity team and a freshman team.

bobcat:

Not to pick on you personally, but your statement above could not be farther from the truth. I went back to 1982 (25 years and the modern era) and looked at all champions in football combining all classes. Out of 130 Champions (Class A, AA, AAA, 4A, 5A, DIV I, DIV II) - a GRAND total of 6 teams hailed from West Tennessee when you remove Shelby County teams from the equation. That's a very less than impressive 4%. Those teams are:

Nice stats, but its not a fair comparison. If you remove Memphis, you also have to remove Middle's metro schools. There are no DII schools between Nashville and Memphis and you are eliminating the biggest school system if you take out Shelby County.

But I agree, the further East you go, the tougher the football teams are. However there are some here that year in and year out can compete with any team in the state. From top to bottom 5-3A is probably the 2nd toughest 3A region in the state.

Nice stats, but its not a fair comparison. If you remove Memphis, you also have to remove Middle's metro schools. There are no DII schools between Nashville and Memphis and you are eliminating the biggest school system if you take out Shelby County.

But I agree, the further East you go, the tougher the football teams are. However there are some here that year in and year out can compete with any team in the state. From top to bottom 5-3A is probably the 2nd toughest 3A region in the state.

Re-read it. I did leave out ALL Davidson County (to include Nashville Metro) schools. I actually broke it down by WT with/without Shelby vs. MT with/without Davidson. Either way, it's MT in a landslide.