Who had Great (or Unexpected) Seasons

DonCChatt

What teams across the state had unexpected (or better than expected) seasons? I don't mean those teams that were expected to be good and were good (sorry, Bearden, Collierville, etc), but maybe those teams that bounced back from disappointing (or down) years and improved greatly, or had to overcome some serious obstacles.

I'll start off with two -- GPS and Grace. GPS got a new coach this year and had a lot of turmoil at the beginning of the season. There were questions about their whole program, yet they got the wins they needed, and was one of 4 teams from D2-AA to make it to State.

Grace was also a program with a bunch of questions at the beginning of the year. They had graduated a bunch, plush their big-name players transferred. There were even questions about whether or not they would have enough bodies to field a team. In spite of this, they managed to improve, and won the District 5 A/AA championship and ended with a Euro ranking of #11.

Any other teams that deserve mention?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest cableguy

What teams across the state had unexpected (or better than expected) seasons? I don't mean those teams that were expected to be good and were good (sorry, Bearden, Collierville, etc), but maybe those teams that bounced back from disappointing (or down) years and improved greatly, or had to overcome some serious obstacles.

I'll start off with two -- GPS and Grace. GPS got a new coach this year and had a lot of turmoil at the beginning of the season. There were questions about their whole program, yet they got the wins they needed, and was one of 4 teams from D2-AA to make it to State.

Grace was also a program with a bunch of questions at the beginning of the year. They had graduated a bunch, plush their big-name players transferred. There were even questions about whether or not they would have enough bodies to field a team. In spite of this, they managed to improve, and won the District 5 A/AA championship and ended with a Euro ranking of #11.

I know they were expected to be good, but the Houston team did a fantastic job of overcoming a jolt mid season that could have destroyed a team of less caliber. And I am not talking talent wise, but more toward the character side of athletes. These "women" really rallied around each other and formed a tight group that was stronger than glue. I am a fan across town and it is hard to say that out loud, but I have a huge amount of respect for those players down the road and how they handled the madness they had this year.

......... they managed to improve, and won the District 5 A/AA championship and ended with a Euro ranking of #11.

First I think the Eurosport rankings as they are presently posted are obviously a little out of line. Second both CPA and FRA performed better than expected based upon the discussions here and the "contest" picks....another team to keep an eye on for next year out of the same district might be Goodpasture...they (like CPA) have some very young talent that if they stick with it and manage injuries could make a run .....

Well I have to throw Mcminn Central in there they had 3 wins last year and 9 wins this year alot of freshamn and only lost 2 seniors that started a very young team with a mix of talented sophmores ,and juniors they should even be stronger next year. Don't no what is coming up hopefully we have a strong class.

Well I think you have to put St. Agnes in the honorable mention category. Having lost 8 seniors, one junior and one sophomore who all played in last years state championship game plus, countless injuries, a sophomore keeper who played JV last year (graduated 3 Sr. keepers in '06).....the girls continued the winning tradition. They never lost a league game and beat St. Georges (State DII A champs). beat ECS, (State Quarter finalist), tied Collierville (State AAA runner up). They just couldn't make it happen with GPS, 110 minutes of a zero game ( I hate PK's ). They lose 4 seniors, one of which was an "all state" contender who only got to play a few minutes on Senior Day (torn ACL). At this time 3 have soccer scholarships. No one really knew what to expect this year and the girls far exceeded what most thought they could accomplish. C O N G R U L A T I O N S

....another team to keep an eye on for next year out of the same district might be Goodpasture...they (like CPA) have some very young talent that if they stick with it and manage injuries could make a run .....

Defintely Goodpasture was unexpected. They improved from 7-8-1 to 10-3-2. Their three losses were by one goal each. They lost to state champion FRA by 1 goal and state runner-up CPA by 1 goal. So I'd say they qualify as a team with a great season! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Defintely Goodpasture was unexpected. They improved from 7-8-1 to 10-3-2. Their three losses were by one goal each. They lost to state champion FRA by 1 goal and state runner-up CPA by 1 goal. So I'd say they qualify as a team with a great season! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I agree and from what I understand they had some young starters...they could be a new entrant to the state tourney next year!