Gibbs coach hanging it up

littlemn88

It's a bit of a stretch to say this guy has "Catholic" ties. He coached some of the guys in middle school but it's hard to say this relates to the high school program when they ran totally different systems. He also had great support with assistant coaches that were former NFL and college players. I think he played at Gibbs so are you really going to be able to avoid the "old buddy" system?

and Backlash.....

It's laughable to see you trash Catholic when you all were last good ....when?????

Hey IrishBBall......... it is kinda laughable when you look at it. Catholic has come along way, they have built a very nice school and has a great sports program. The only thing I see that is wrong, is Catholic can take kids from any where, just as long as they say I am "Catholic". They should be playing in the private school division. Then they can smoke everbody. As for Gibbs you have to be apart of it to understand. I watched a coach from Gibbs tell one of the kids (a sophomore) that was trying out for QB that he was to short and slow and would never play QB on his team, in front of all the other QB's that were trying out. I have seen so much negetive come out of these coaches, it would be great to get a good coach. You never know, it might be 30 years before we do it again. So lets hope they get it right.

I have talk to alot of poeple from Gibbs and I tell you that for every one person that liked this program. I can find ten that hate it and are hoping for a big change. So when it looks like I am bashing this program, it is only bashing when it is not the truth.

The baseball coach, becoming the football coach. I know the baseball coach he is a great person, but not a good football coach. (sorry, just the truth.)

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sheppard and McMillan thing seems like a stretch, but stranger things have happened. I am assuming that the two Halls coaches are Qualls, who has been mentioned previously, and Hassell which has not been mentioned before. Does anyone have firsthand knowledge if either one of or both are interested in the job. Also when is the deadline for applications? It seems like this has been going on for several weeks and no one has any firsthand information on who maybe applying.

Backlash:

I understand exactly where you are coming from. This is by no means meant to bash the present staff at Gibbs. But sometimes a complete overhaul is in the works. It appears the Gibbs community has a great deal of interest. They deserve a top notch coach with vision, energy, and a positive attitude. The new Coach needs to promote the program within the school and the community. The new Coach needs to have a good overall knowledge of football offense and defense. And last but certainly not least the new Coach needs to be an excellent educator of good Character. Gibbs may never be a Fulton, A.E., Catholic, etc... but they could be very competitive in the Region and give the tight knit Community of Gibbs a team to be proud of on and off the field.

I hope the administration steps up and makes the best hire not the easy hire.

Hey IrishBBall......... it is kinda laughable when you look at it. Catholic has come along way, they have built a very nice school and has a great sports program. The only thing I see that is wrong, is Catholic can take kids from any where, just as long as they say I am "Catholic". They should be playing in the private school division. Then they can smoke everbody. As for Gibbs you have to be apart of it to understand. I watched a coach from Gibbs tell one of the kids (a sophomore) that was trying out for QB that he was to short and slow and would never play QB on his team, in front of all the other QB's that were trying out. I have seen so much negetive come out of these coaches, it would be great to get a good coach. You never know, it might be 30 years before we do it again. So lets hope they get it right.

I have talk to alot of poeple from Gibbs and I tell you that for every one person that liked this program. I can find ten that hate it and are hoping for a big change. So when it looks like I am bashing this program, it is only bashing when it is not the truth.

The baseball coach, becoming the football coach. I know the baseball coach he is a great person, but not a good football coach. (sorry, just the truth.)

I was just taking offense at the way you trashed Catholic for not being able to win the "big one". Gibbs hasn't even been close to playing for a "big one" in quite a while. The idea of WIDESPREAD recruiting at Catholic is a little overrated. The bulk of this years starters have played together since elementary and middle school. The success of the program(s) has led to athletes wanting to come there out of middle school to avoid the very same problems you are addressing at Gibbs. They just found an easier way to alleviate the problem. A new start at a school without all the preconceived ideas about players and the good ole boy system. I grew up off Tazewell Pike and have coached several kids that have played other sports at Gibbs so I at least have a feel of it.

How many Gibbs players have ended up at Central and Halls for example? A.J. Nance starts the list that I know of. Maybe a new coach could help prevent that. Also, does Gibbs have much of a youth program or do those kids end up playing at Halls, Fountain City, Carter or what? I agree about the baseball coach not being a head football coach. He should be devoting most of his efforts into the overall baseball program which is heading in the right direction. He may be fine as an asst coach but would certainly be better served in fall workouts and off season conditioning.

...and by the way, you don't have to be or say you're Catholic to play there-you've just got to bring a little extra in tuition money.

Backlash:

I understand exactly where you are coming from. This is by no means meant to bash the present staff at Gibbs. But sometimes a complete overhaul is in the works. It appears the Gibbs community has a great deal of interest. They deserve a top notch coach with vision, energy, and a positive attitude. The new Coach needs to promote the program within the school and the community. The new Coach needs to have a good overall knowledge of football offense and defense. And last but certainly not least the new Coach needs to be an excellent educator of good Character. Gibbs may never be a Fulton, A.E., Catholic, etc... but they could be very competitive in the Region and give the tight knit Community of Gibbs a team to be proud of on and off the field.

I hope the administration steps up and makes the best hire not the easy hire.

I am sick and tired of everyone bashing the coaches at GHS. They are all fine people who expect the best from their players on and off of the field. I know you say you are not "bashing" them, but you are. You are also putting down the players who work very hard for the coached. I am certain that when it comes time for hiring a new coach the administration at GHS will make the best decision for everyone involved.

I am sick and tired of everyone bashing the coaches at GHS. They are all fine people who expect the best from their players on and off of the field. I know you say you are not "bashing" them, but you are. You are also putting down the players who work very hard for the coached. I am certain that when it comes time for hiring a new coach the administration at GHS will make the best decision for everyone involved.

Rest assured when I am bashing someone you will know it. Ask the Maryville folks. So I take a little exception to you accusing me of something I had no intention of doing. I simply pointed out what I felt were the necessary characteristics of the new head coach at Gibbs. If that person is already on staff then so be it. I am just of the opinion that a new coach from outside would give the program a needed boost. Where as someone that is already on staff may give the impression of the same ole same ole.

Irish bball you make a good point. Whoever the new coach is he most keep the kids zoned for Gibbs from going to Central. Nance was a great example, Woodard the Q.B. from several years ago. Several on the present Central team.

Intheloop you obviously think that someone already on the staff is the most qualified and you certainly have a right to that opinion. I am just afraid that if someone on the current staff is hired folks will get the impression that the administration took the path of least resistance. Regardless of how qualified this person may be.

OK i cant take this anymore, who is the defensive coach? Everytime I have watched a GHS football game it looks like a train running from one end zone to the other! And the offense reminds me of the Tennessee offense in the second half - can't move the ball in 3 plays! With the athletes at Gibbs they should be in the playoffs every year.

OK i cant take this anymore, who is the defensive coach? Everytime I have watched a GHS football game it looks like a train running from one end zone to the other! And the offense reminds me of the Tennessee offense in the second half - can't move the ball in 3 plays! With the athletes at Gibbs they should be in the playoffs every year.

Okay here is some information about the coaching position at Gibbs and some answers to some other questions.

No one had applied for the position before Monday Dec. 3 2007. That is because Knox County had not advertised the position until that date. The position will be posted/advertised for two weeks (until Dec. 14 2007) as per Knox County policy. At that point a list with the names of "qualified" (qualified according to Knox County Schools) applicants will be sent to the administration at GHS (this usually takes about a week) at which point they will have to interview everyone on the list. Usually the admin will narrow that list down and call applicants for a second interview. I am sure this will probably not happen until after the Christmas break (every school's admin have other things to worry about than hiring a coach, however they realize the importance of a coach being named as soon as possible).

For the 2007 season the coaching assignments at GHS were:

Randy Carroll - Head Coach - LB/TE coach

Chris Jones - QB coach - Offensive Coordinator - JV Offensive Coordinator

Steve Edmonds - DB/RB Defensive Coordinator

Brad Turner - WR/DE - JV Head Coach

Todd Atkins - QB/DB - Freshman Offensive Coordinator

Geff Davis - Line - Freshman Head Coach - Freshman Defensive Coordinator

Brent Wright - Line - JV Defensive Coordinator

In addition to this,

Chris Jones Attended Jefferson Co. High School and also coached at Carter. He played baseball for Carson Newman Teaches History at GHS and Coaches Baseball at GHS

Steve Edmonds attended Powell High School and has coached nowhere else. Teaches Driver Ed. at GHS

Brad Turner attended GHS and played for Randy Carroll and played baseball at Carson Newman and coached at Sacred Heart. Teahces Wellnes and PE at GHS

Todd Atkins attended GHS and played for Randy Carroll and has coached nowhere else. Teaches Science at Holston Middle school where he coaches Boys Basketball and he also coaches Track at GHS.

Geff Davis attended GHS and only played only Freshman Football but played basketball and baseball at GHS. He also played baseball at Cumberland College and for the Montreal Expos. He teaches Business at GHS

Brent Wright attended GHS where he played for Randy Carroll and attended one year at ETSU where he played football. He is not a teacher, he is a nonfaculty coach.

About some of the people who are interested in the position.

This is unofficial of course, but I have personally spoke to each one of these.

Geff Davis Baseball Coach - NO

Brad Turner - YES

Mike Potter (Fulton) - Maybe, he is waiting until after this weekend's championship game.

Houston Qualls - YES

Buck Coatney - More than likely NO

I do not have any information about the Coach Jessie from Cumberland Gap

Atkins coaches girls basketball at Holston Middle, not boys

Okay here is some information about the coaching position at Gibbs and some answers to some other questions.

No one had applied for the position before Monday Dec. 3 2007. That is because Knox County had not advertised the position until that date. The position will be posted/advertised for two weeks (until Dec. 14 2007) as per Knox County policy. At that point a list with the names of "qualified" (qualified according to Knox County Schools) applicants will be sent to the administration at GHS (this usually takes about a week) at which point they will have to interview everyone on the list. Usually the admin will narrow that list down and call applicants for a second interview. I am sure this will probably not happen until after the Christmas break (every school's admin have other things to worry about than hiring a coach, however they realize the importance of a coach being named as soon as possible).

For the 2007 season the coaching assignments at GHS were:

Randy Carroll - Head Coach - LB/TE coach

Chris Jones - QB coach - Offensive Coordinator - JV Offensive Coordinator

Steve Edmonds - DB/RB Defensive Coordinator

Brad Turner - WR/DE - JV Head Coach

Todd Atkins - QB/DB - Freshman Offensive Coordinator

Geff Davis - Line - Freshman Head Coach - Freshman Defensive Coordinator

Brent Wright - Line - JV Defensive Coordinator

In addition to this,

Chris Jones Attended Jefferson Co. High School and also coached at Carter. He played baseball for Carson Newman Teaches History at GHS and Coaches Baseball at GHS

Steve Edmonds attended Powell High School and has coached nowhere else. Teaches Driver Ed. at GHS

Brad Turner attended GHS and played for Randy Carroll and played baseball at Carson Newman and coached at Sacred Heart. Teahces Wellnes and PE at GHS

Todd Atkins attended GHS and played for Randy Carroll and has coached nowhere else. Teaches Science at Holston Middle school where he coaches Boys Basketball and he also coaches Track at GHS.

Geff Davis attended GHS and only played only Freshman Football but played basketball and baseball at GHS. He also played baseball at Cumberland College and for the Montreal Expos. He teaches Business at GHS

Brent Wright attended GHS where he played for Randy Carroll and attended one year at ETSU where he played football. He is not a teacher, he is a nonfaculty coach.

About some of the people who are interested in the position.

This is unofficial of course, but I have personally spoke to each one of these.

Geff Davis Baseball Coach - NO

Brad Turner - YES

Mike Potter (Fulton) - Maybe, he is waiting until after this weekend's championship game.

Houston Qualls - YES

Buck Coatney - More than likely NO

I do not have any information about the Coach Jessie from Cumberland Gap