Gibbs coach hanging it up

littlemn88

Pete, I think the silence of the Gibbs Community in this forum and others speaks for its self. The administration doesn't care about the football program and the community is apathic about the possiblity of success. The past coach has been able to do what he wants for thirty years and no one said a word. Kids transfer to Halls, Carter, Central, etc. and no one said a word. The Gibbs community is stripped of its middle school and its kids are bused to Holston and no one said a word. Ask yourself, what would happen if this had gone on at Maryville, Farragut, or Catholic? I dare say there would be a loud vocal parent group demanding answers. The Gibbs community is content with the way things are...I wish them the best of luck.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete, I think the silence of the Gibbs Community in this forum and others speaks for its self. The administration doesn't care about the football program and the community is apathic about the possiblity of success. The past coach has been able to do what he wants for thirty years and no one said a word. Kids transfer to Halls, Carter, Central, etc. and no one said a word. The Gibbs community is stripped of its middle school and its kids are bused to Holston and no one said a word. Ask yourself, what would happen if this had gone on at Maryville, Farragut, or Cathloic? I dare say there would be a loud vocal parent group demanding answers. The Gibbs community is content with the way things are...I wish them the best of luck.

To all you experts on the Gibbs coaching situation, thanks but we don't really need your input. My silence has been in effect because why should I banter with people that have no say in the decision? Why should I care about people who have not, never will, and don't care about the program at Gibbs? Are any of you going to be lining the field next year? Or opening your wallet for any of our fundraisers? Or taking time to support the team in any manner? Thats right, not one of you have I seen at a booster club meeting or game or anything else. I know the people that work behind the scenes at Gibbs and those people are dedicated come you know what or high water.

For a kid to transfer because of athletic reasons tells me more about that child's parents then about the child. If the kid and parents don't want to be at Gibbs, transfer as quick as you can.

As for your comments about the administration, I know all of them personally, and I would rather send my children to that school under those leaders then send them to 75% of the schools in Knox County.

So once again, as my father always says, opinions are like a certain part of your anatomy, and everyone has one. So I suggest you don't cast stones at those people and situations that you don't know.

Runkle,

Who gives a poot about Maryville (in another county) or Catholic (private school). Farragut does what they want anyway with all of there high pocket money people.

jjwsiv,

I luv what you said. Now don't get me wrong, I'm a Red Devil thru and thru, but I like hearing someone with some guts (sp) telling people what they can do with there mouth!!

As for your comments about the administration, I know all of them personally, and I would rather send my children to that school under those leaders then send them to 75% of the schools in Knox County.

But you are willing to admit that at least 25% of the schools in Knox Co are better than yours!

But you are willing to admit that at least 25% of the schools in Knox Co are better than yours!

Not that 25% are better, but that I would allow my child to go there. Every school has it own unique issues in regards to academics, extracurriculars (athletics included in this category), community support, facilities, etc.... But when I look at the schools in Knox County (where I was born, and have come back to live), there are only 3 or 4 schools that I would feel comfortable with my children attending when these factors are taken into account.

LSMFT,

Thanks, its ok to be a Red Devil, heck there are some Red Devils I couldn't stand during our days in high school that have become good friends! Our kids even play ball together. I know, I know...Gibbs and Halls people actually coexisting, who would have thunk it?!?!

I'm an Eagle forever, but it just gets under my skin when people continually downgrade people that I know personally. People that work hard and have for a community and school. I know not everything is as great as people want it, but it isn't at every school. Even at the schools where all seems well, I'm sure you can find those who will try to break it down, find fault with a coach or administrator, or who have had a bad situation occur. Thats just part of it all. But I will cheer on my Eagles just as you cheer on the Red Devils and I won't apologize for it.

I hope everyone has a great day.

I don't deny that there is a core group of committed individuals in Gibbs. My comments were about the majority of people in Gibbs community. Are your booster meetings packed? Are there droves of people filling the stadium that don't have children involved? I would guess not. My comments were not directed at the Gibbs football program directly more at the community mind set. Also, don't be too confident that I don't put my kid on a bus to ride to HOLSTON middle or that I don't volunteer at the Ruritan park.

As for the administration, there is not an administration at Gibbs. Two are retiring and one is going to coach football. I would encourage all members of the Gibbs community to voice your opinions with your school board member or your county commissioner about the kind of principles you want. Or it will be like the football coach selection, one guy sitting in a room, asking for no ones input, and making a selection that some like and some may not.

I mentioned Maryville because they are the best program in all of Tennessee. They could be doing something right that Gibbs could learn from.

Farragut is a school in our county that has active parents who demand the best for their children. This is not to say that people in Gibbs don't love their children only most will not sign a petition or call a school board member. Remember the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Catholic they are a AAA program that was awful for a long time. And then through parent involvement and fundraising (obviously it is easier at a private Catholic school), they turned their program around.

jjwsiv, I applaude your work and dedication. My real point is that Gibbs doesn't need a different football coach to be successful, only more community members to be like you--Involved.

• 2 months later...

The students, community members, and players are excited about the new head football coaching situation at Gibbs High School. The change has been overdue and is finally here. Go up to the summer workouts and see how many players are gathered up there in the evenings to run the stadium steps and doing the workouts. Its amazing how many and how excited they are to be there. The guys are listening and seem to have respect and believing in what is being put in front of them. Good luck to the new head coach and to the Gibbs High School Football Eagles. We will see if Brad Conley can build a football program. He is a good man and role model for the students and players.

Go Eagles.

I hope the new coach is very successful up there at Gibbs. I would like to see region 1-3a get more competitive. It makes the games more important and people will follow them closer. And a more competitive region is a great for players because they know that if they slip-up they might be out of the playoffs, and therefore each game is played like its their last.