Region 4-5A vs Region 3-5A

Otter

Actually Region 3 could be as good or better 'if' they did some things that Region 4 has already done.

First is a really tough weight program EVERYDAY in a special PE class just for football players.

Second is depth. Large teams provide more talent so a good team is not worn out in the second half.

Third is SPEED! It CAN be taught. Just ask ANY GOOD track coach. This also goes hand in hand with reason 2.

Fourth is what some like CC has done this year and that is play tougher opponents in their out of region games.

Region 3 DOES have some things that are actually better than Region 4 due to their 'country' nature. First and foremost is 'community' support. With the lack of compitition for ad dollars in a county more funds for the team can be raised for necessary things. A prime example is LC's program. When I bought it at a game it was a virtual yellow book of buisnesses in LC and beyond. Also look at their home gates as almost everybody turns out for Friday night football in towns there. Tullahoma is a prime example. Took over an hour for me to buy a ticket there to watch them play FC last year. These things are what have attracted some Coaches from Region 4 to move there to Coach. Coach Britton at FC is a prime example. Coach at Cookeville also! Petty politics though have also driven some good Coaches out of the Region so that is something Y'ALL have to change. We can't help you with that.

Third is SPEED! It CAN be taught. Just ask ANY GOOD track coach. This also goes hand in hand with reason 2.

I asked Ed Martin the famed TSU track coach and olympic coach what is the number one thing you can do to be fast

his reply ------------------------------- make sure you are born to 2 really fast parents.

he basically said there are a few tips training to help fast people get faster but you are either fast or you aren't

I do agree you can make players quicker to the ball or quicker off blocks etc but as coach martin said they are either fast or they aren't.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Region 3 could be as good or better 'if' they did some things that Region 4 has already done.

First is a really tough weight program EVERYDAY in a special PE class just for football players.

Second is depth. Large teams provide more talent so a good team is not worn out in the second half.

Fourth is what some like CC has done this year and that is play tougher opponents in their out of region games.

Region 3 DOES have some things that are actually better than Region 4 due to their 'country' nature. First and foremost is 'community' support. With the lack of compitition for ad dollars in a county more funds for the team can be raised for necessary things. A prime example is LC's program. When I bought it at a game it was a virtual yellow book of buisnesses in LC and beyond. Also look at their home gates as almost everybody turns out for Friday night football in towns there. Tullahoma is a prime example. Took over an hour for me to buy a ticket there to watch them play FC last year. These things are what have attracted some Coaches from Region 4 to move there to Coach. Coach Britton at FC is a prime example. Coach at Cookeville also! Petty politics though have also driven some good Coaches out of the Region so that is something Y'ALL have to change. We can't help you with that.

That's the one thing that were lacking is depth. We've got a number of kids playing both ways but on the other hand it makes for a really close nit team with unbelievable chemistry. we've got a really good thing going here and I hope we can keep it up and advance. Good Luck to all region 4 teams tonight, Ya'll bundle up!

That's the one thing that were lacking is depth. We've got a number of kids playing both ways but on the other hand it makes for a really close nit team with unbelievable chemistry. we've got a really good thing going here and I hope we can keep it up and advance. Good Luck to all region 4 teams tonight, Ya'll bundle up!

Yeah i noticed that when we played yall.....not to many players..most play both sides.....yall really worked well together

Yeah, I'm sure we don't do any weight training.

This is the biggest factor, and the main reason region 4 fields so many good teams. Not only depth, but talent to choose from. Question: How do you coach 800-900 more students to enroll?? That's about what it comes down to....

Like has already been said, there are tips to maybe make somebody's 40 time a tick quicker, but you're not going to turn a 4.9 or 5.0 guy into a 4.4 guy. Revert back to larger school enrollment, more athletes to choose from to get the speed.

Agreed. Speaking of LC only, we have a pretty tough out of region schedule, year in, and year out.

You're right about Tullahoma, you better get there early. They pack that place!! Fayetteville does a good job supporting Lincoln County too, as you said.

Yeah, I'm sure we don't do any weight training.

This is the biggest factor, and the main reason region 4 fields so many good teams. Not only depth, but talent to choose from. Question: How do you coach 800-900 more students to enroll?? That's about what it comes down to....

Like has already been said, there are tips to maybe make somebody's 40 time a tick quicker, but you're not going to turn a 4.9 or 5.0 guy into a 4.4 guy. Revert back to larger school enrollment, more athletes to choose from to get the speed.

Agreed. Speaking of LC only, we have a pretty tough out of region schedule, year in, and year out.

You're right about Tullahoma, you better get there early. They pack that place!! Fayetteville does a good job supporting Lincoln County too, as you said.

I know Region 3 does weight training, but what I am saying is some do not do it DAILY as a class that they get credit for like they do at some schools in Region 4.

If bigger is BETTER how do you explain the successful privates that regularly beat much BIGGER schools? Yes I know they recruit (yet to be PROVEN THOUGH) but that is NOT the entire team. BA is a prime example as while they do seen to 'find' some great players at skill positions there is still their linemen!

Yes I will agree that CC has stepped up and upgraded their schedule and that has done nothing but helped them as their success this year proves.

As to getting kids out, success pulls them out in droves. Look at R'dale and Smyrna and ask them how many came out for spring training after a State Win the year before.

Speed can be taught, call it technique or whatever. A fast kid that runs on his whole foot will always be slower than a moderately fast one that runs on his toes and balls of his feet. That CAN be taught!

I know you are tired of hearing that Region 4 is SO superior and I don't blame you because it would make me mad also. Thing is you have to realize that there are some of us that honestly want y'all to get better. Mostly it is for a purely selfish motive in that it will also make US better the better teams we play. This is a long process as Region 4 is finding out. It used to be mainly one or two good schools from Region 4 that were good. Now the Region has 8 that can beat you on any given Friday. This in turn has translated in more teams wanting to play us. Unfortunately today people want 'INSTANT' success and that is NOT going to happen. What Coach Britton at FC is facing is an example of this. FC WILL get better if they are just patient another year. Just giving a Coach two years will NOT get it done though.

This help?

well, history will be made tonight. Coffee Co. has never won a playoff game, and WC has never won a road playoff game. One of those streaks end tonight. I am rooting for the Wildcats on this one. It is hard to beat a team twice, but if anyone can overcome that, this over-achieving bunch can. Remember, they were picked to finish last.