Smyrna @ Lincolin County

seantn_4

Thats what I thought.

You know the thing about hs football is you have to play with who shows up and no matter how good of coach you are you will not win without talent.

As for the discipline and I agree with a poster earlier something has changed there. Lc who used to pride themselves on detail was not evident even in the little things -- a couple examples

coming back to the field after half time lc was walking to the field and instead of being a group they were scattred out all over the place and a few of the starters were so far back walking to the field they looked like their own team. One even drifted so far back he was right in front of smyrna walking to the field and made sure he walked slower and slower till he literally was in the middle of smyrnas front row of players.

prior to the game while both teams were waiting to take the field some of lc players wanted to get thet smack talking started and were giving it to smyrna pretty good. Smyrna had already been told this would happen and were told to shut up and play it on the field. I remeber coming down there several years ago and I dont even believe lc even looked over at smyrna players. During that time lc was all business and it was all about team. Now they see m to have to many individuals and it just doesn't fit what you expect from lc.

Something else I've noticed over the past few years, just as they came out the second half scattered all over, they also leave the field after pregame warmups the same way. Back when L.C. was one of the top teams in the state when they left the field after pregame, they were enenly spaced apart, now 8 or 10, a gap then 8 or 10 more, like 3 or 4 ball teams. Also, back then they all would run the sideline all the way past the back pylon, now the first few will, then the next group will cut through the endzone, then the rest will cut off at the 5 or 10 yard line. I know this has nothing to do with how good they are but it has a lot to do with discipline. As far as the Falcons running their mouths to the Smyrna players, I don't think they deserve to win when they do that. In 2003 when we went 10 and 0 and made it to the third round, they did that to Riverdale. It was one of the 3 or 4 home games I've missed in 13 years, and when one of my friends told me that I said, they didn't desever to win. I have never liked trash talk, take care of it on the field.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree. Things aren't they way they used to be. It's so boring now at "The Pit". No one gets into it. I can remember the LC vs. Riverdale game in 2003 when the entire home side chanted "Defense" as the Warriors tried to get into the endzone. I had no voice after that, and it was amazing to hear so many loyal fans cheering their team on. How often do you here rhythmic chanting now? Rarely...and it's usually only from the cheerleaders. Heck... alot of the band members don't even get into the game. Most are only worried about going home and whine when we win. After the Smyrna game, some of them were cheering for Smyrna...during the game too. If you don't think "The Pit" is dead. just look at the lines to the concession stands. In past years, it took all of halftime to get to the front. Now...only a five minute wait. No big deal. AND-with them coming on and off in little packs...a few years ago, I could sit and count them without any time in between each guy. It was just 1-50...no down time.

As far as the team goes, they lack discipline...BIG TIME! I have some classes with the players and they lack respect for everyone: teachers, staff, their peers. I don't know if all of them do it, but I do know for a fact several do.

And with trash talk- whatever happened to take care of it on the field. Actions speak louder than words. The way you play the game will have a better effect than how you run your mouth to the other team.

I find it quite pitiful when the band has more discipline that the footbal team.

"The Pit" isn't "The Pit" I remember from even a few years ago. If coach T ever hopes to get another State Championship, he needs to stop gettin them boys outta trouble when they get in to it. Let them suffer the consequences of their actions and they'll learn. And if they don't learn...bench them or kick them off the team.

That's all I've got to say.

good post and I agree with all of it.

Moran is as tough as they come.

Smyrna had a peanlty called for an ineligible receiver. The official on the end said the wr was not on the line.

Well he is the official the wr asked as they always do "on the line" and the official signaled he was and then called the penalty? It had no effect because smyrna scored the next play but it was still like ??????

Lc was very frustrated the entire game for whatever reason and they let it show a lot. I think you may have saw some of the stuff from a few players I did and it was not reflective of the entire team or what you expect from lc.

You are correct Smyrna won because they had a better team with more speed and it is that simple.

93 could you answer this question?

does lc run that basic eye formation offense because they dont have the talent to run anything more wide open or is it just what coach thompson is comfortable with?

Coach T is a very predictable coach and that is what hurts the team offensively. Even the fans in the stands knows the plays before they are ran. However, I regress, he added a few things the last few games. He tried every trick in the book, which shows that he is aware that LC is out manned, but not out hearted.

Something else I've noticed over the past few years, just as they came out the second half scattered all over, they also leave the field after pregame warmups the same way. Back when L.C. was one of the top teams in the state when they left the field after pregame, they were enenly spaced apart, now 8 or 10, a gap then 8 or 10 more, like 3 or 4 ball teams. Also, back then they all would run the sideline all the way past the back pylon, now the first few will, then the next group will cut through the endzone, then the rest will cut off at the 5 or 10 yard line. I know this has nothing to do with how good they are but it has a lot to do with discipline. As far as the Falcons running their mouths to the Smyrna players, I don't think they deserve to win when they do that. In 2003 when we went 10 and 0 and made it to the third round, they did that to Riverdale. It was one of the 3 or 4 home games I've missed in 13 years, and when one of my friends told me that I said, they didn't desever to win. I have never liked trash talk, take care of it on the field.

LC's biggest problem falls along the line that no longer do they have Falcon Pride; no longer do they work as a team; no longer does the coaching team truly care (time to move on?). LC is too political. We have a QB that shouldn't be starting but is because of last name, Sophomores that should be playing but aren't because they are Sophomores, and enough b.s. to fill the 'Pit'.

I am not sure when it happened. But somewhere along the line from where I graduated in the 80s and now, the kids lost respect in their school and school system. Without that respect, why should they play their best? If the coaching doesn't show how much it cares and is bland in behavior and unwilling to change, then why should the kids?

Best example of a change for the positive and someone bringing about school pride again to a football program is Moore County. Now there is an active football coach.

LC's biggest problem falls along the line that no longer do they have Falcon Pride; no longer do they work as a team; no longer does the coaching team truly care (time to move on?). LC is too political. We have a QB that shouldn't be starting but is because of last name, Sophomores that should be playing but aren't because they are Sophomores, and enough b.s. to fill the 'Pit'.

I am not sure when it happened. But somewhere along the line from where I graduated in the 80s and now, the kids lost respect in their school and school system. Without that respect, why should they play their best? If the coaching doesn't show how much it cares and is bland in behavior and unwilling to change, then why should the kids?

Best example of a change for the positive and someone bringing about school pride again to a football program is Moore County. Now there is an active football coach.

Mam i am or "was" i bet that makes you happy doesnt it the quaterback for the falcons and i am totally shocked at your comment that hurts me...I guess i should be sitting on the bench while all of the other good quaterbacks play right...and my last name SHELTON has nothing to do with it i really wish you would give me your name but you are probably too big of a coward to do that...At the beginning of the year we set a goal as a team to bring the tradition back to LC football we won the region and we accomplished alot things people like YOU im sure would not have gave us a chance to do..The biggest reason their is no LC pride is because people like you undermine everything as we as players and the coaches do.. You have no idea what it is like to wear a jersey and play. You look at our jersey as probably jus a blue and white numbered shirt with falcons on the back. WE as players look at it and see year round work outs hot days at camp and running non stop but you would most definately not know wat that is like, and what makes it great to be able to put that jersey on is that no one is making us do those things to play the game we only do it because we love the game and we get nothing for playing highschool football. And if you believe i only start because of my last name and its political then you are truly out of touch with reality and LC football because everyone in the lockeroom knows that i am the best qb on the team and that i should be playing and I will be frank with you there were not any sophmores that were good enough to be playing. I bet you've probably come up to me after a game and said good job to my face then come here and type that about me and more importantly OUR TEAM. talking about me is fine if you really want to show your ignorance but about the team just goes to show WE WILL NEVER HAVE THE FANS SUPPORT IN LINCOLN COUNTY BECAUSE THERE ARE TOO MANY PEOPLE LIKE YOU.. and if you dont know what its like to play the game and all the time it requires I would recomend you just supporting us and keeping your mouth shut instead of coming on to COACHT.COM to bash us where everyone can see it and i would really appreciate it if you would give me you name because i would love to say this to you face unlike your self but im sure you wont........

Mam i am or "was" i bet that makes you happy doesnt it the quaterback for the falcons and i am totally shocked at your comment that hurts me...I guess i should be sitting on the bench while all of the other good quaterbacks play right...and my last name SHELTON has nothing to do with it i really wish you would give me your name but you are probably too big of a coward to do that...At the beginning of the year we set a goal as a team to bring the tradition back to LC football we won the region and we accomplished alot things people like YOU im sure would not have gave us a chance to do..The biggest reason their is no LC pride is because people like you undermine everything as we as players and the coaches do.. You have no idea what it is like to wear a jersey and play. You look at our jersey as probably jus a blue and white numbered shirt with falcons on the back. WE as players look at it and see year round work outs hot days at camp and running non stop but you would most definately not know wat that is like, and what makes it great to be able to put that jersey on is that no one is making us do those things to play the game we only do it because we love the game and we get nothing for playing highschool football. And if you believe i only start because of my last name and its political then you are truly out of touch with reality and LC football because everyone in the lockeroom knows that i am the best qb on the team and that i should be playing and I will be frank with you there were not any sophmores that were good enough to be playing. I bet you've probably come up to me after a game and said good job to my face then come here and type that about me and more importantly OUR TEAM. talking about me is fine if you really want to show your ignorance but about the team just goes to show WE WILL NEVER HAVE THE FANS SUPPORT IN LINCOLN COUNTY BECAUSE THERE ARE TOO MANY PEOPLE LIKE YOU.. and if you dont know what its like to play the game and all the time it requires I would recomend you just supporting us and keeping your mouth shut instead of coming on to COACHT.COM to bash us where everyone can see it and i would really appreciate it if you would give me you name because i would love to say this to you face unlike your self but im sure you wont........

Whoa......she just got owned. Good post.

being anonymous brings out the courage in a lot of posters they would not have if they were known.

pretty much everyone know who I am so what you see is what you get. I have over the years posted many many post on a lot of threads. A couple times after reviewing them later said "that was probably a little strong and either edited or posted another one toning it down. There have also been about 2 where I posted something that I knew in minutes " I probably shouldn't have said that" and in both instances I apoligized to the party involved.

It does make you have to realize when you post that you shouldn't post something you wouldn't say in public.

a couple rules I try to go by

1. never call hs players out by name unless you want to compliment them ( the receivers may drop balls but never by name)

2. remeber a lot of the posters are kids so don't get drawn into arguing with them on here.

3. try to use facts and stats to make arguments

4. its ok to have sometimes heated dis agreements with others on here.I have had some good oneswith some of the posters I would consider friends on here have been

how ever just because people know who you are doesn't mean you cant discuss hs football on all the threads and be vigorous in your opinions.

as for the qb at lc ----- these age old sayings come to mind:

qb's get to much credit when you win and to much blame when you lose

the best qb on any team at any level is usually the back up. you here pro fans cheer to put them in all the time

by the way I have experience with this- my oldest son played qb for lavergne their second or 3rd yr of existence and they were awful and at the time had the longest losing streak in the state. I cant tell you how many times people around me would say he was the problem even though he usually got tackled as soon as he got the snap!

After seeing lc (in person and on film) the qb is the least of their problems. They just do not have the talent they used to have and they still run exactly the same formations and plays they have always ran it is that simple.

one last thing

the fans at smyrnas game still set on the visitors side despite plenty of seats being availbale on the home side and their are no reserved seats in the playoffs. If those folks had of moved to lc's side they would have been louder as a group and more supportive.

Never thought I would see the day a LC thread would turn into something you would see out of Coffee Co......

LC football has a rich history....maybe time for a change, maybe not......it's only going to get tougher for midstate or rural schools to compete with Rutherford and Williamson Co. on a consistant basis

Within the fans, yes; there isn't much pride anymore. When was the lsat time the "Pit" was full. You can always find a place to sit now. At one point, that was impossible unless you got there an hour in advance...so I'm told and so I've seen in videos. I can't remember many games that I've been to that were jam packed. Perhaps the Riverdale game of '03 in regular season...but otherwise, I don't recall any other game.

I dunno that our QB shouldn't be playing. I have to say, I think he was our best option. He's come through when we needed him to before...not everytime, but not even Peyton Manning can pull that off. And it isn't always the quarterback's fault. Sure, he gets blamed for it, but sometimes it's the snapper or perhaps the reciever. I've never played football, but I realize there is alot of pressure on the guys. I don't know the extent of it, but I'm certain it's tough.

I think there should be some sophomores playing...not all of them, but some. There are some that came from NGA last year that I think should get a little game time. Some got a taste of the game during the Cumberland Co. game, but that was it.

I've been to every game this year and I've noticed that some of the outstanding players on the team have not gotten the oppertunity to show their stuff. I've seen glimmers of extreme capibility from some but that's it. They don't get the ball enough to really shine.

As far as winning Region goes, I'm proud. That hasn't been done since 2003 and before that it was 1993. HOWEVER, I saw inappropriate behavior afterwards. I saw one Falcon go into Coffee County's endzone and do doughnuts with his feet, laughing. I feel that is highly unsportsman-like. I understand that it was exciting, but have some class and save it for the locker room or the bus ride home. I know that Coffee County was rude too, but just because one team is, doesn't give you permission to be the same.

I've seen improvement in the fans. They actually clap when the band plays Rocky Top as the team runs through the L. Now, if only they'd start singing along too. I really hope some of the FALCON PRIDE returns next year. Come on, people! Don't be a fair-weather fan. Support them through thick and thin. GET LOUD! I want to get goosebumps as the band plays and the fans sing our fight song.

Go Falcons! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />