Warren Co. Season

Nitro14

Nitro you sound like a over hyped up caffeine addicted parent. You have 78 post since October 29 all on the same subject, Warren Co football. Give it a rest.

"Old School" Here's #79. I do not take jabs at people when I post. I just try to find out info and share info on the sport and team that I support, contribute and care for very much. As far as what I sound like you maybe close to one of your observations, I do like a occasional Sundrop every now and then.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nitro you sound like a over hyped up caffeine addicted parent. You have 78 post since October 29 all on the same subject, Warren Co football. Give it a rest.

Too bad WC doesn't have a few more Nitros out there. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• 1 month later...

Too bad WC doesn't have a few more Nitros out there. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Keep working hard boys, remember players are made from winter to fall, those who really pay the price and get stronger will get notice come fall practice time. Believe me on this one players, you will not believe how much you can change strength wise over one year. Good luck and stay with your teammates, thry are depending on you !!!

Keep working hard boys, remember players are made from winter to fall, those who really pay the price and get stronger will get notice come fall practice time. Believe me on this one players, you will not believe how much you can change strength wise over one year. Good luck and stay with your teammates, thry are depending on you !!!

Amen! I heard the boys that are not playing other sports right now are working hard. In about three weeks or so the boys playing basketball will join them except baseball players. Strength and conditioning is so important to compete with the other schools. I think there should be a strength/conditioning & nutrition class offered at the high school for a credit. What's everyone's take on the Harris firing? Has anyone been hired for the middle school head coaching position?

No word on the Middle School coach.

Harris' firing was kinda a shock to me, and like I said I don't agree with the firing. I thought he was a fine man who gave his all to the football team. If I were coach Madewell I too would be very upset. I don't understand where he was not credible for the job.

and for those who can't get the Southern Standard

Harris cut from Pioneer staff-Worked with WCMS and WCHS football teams for past 10 years

By ROB NUNLEY

After a decade of service to Pioneer football on various levels, a longtime member of the staff was dismissed on Wednesday.

Assistant coach Donnie Harris was informed Wednesday that his annual contract would not be renewed, and he would no longer be with the football staff.

The decision to not retain Harris was made by WCHS principal James Bennett, and came as a disappointing surprise to both Madewell and, understandably, his former offensive coordinator.

???The only reason (Madewell) was given was that I had a lack of credibility,??? Harris said in describing how he received the news on Wednesday.

???It??™s a surprise, because I??™ve put a lot of my heart and soul out there for the past 10 years for this program. I??™ve worked hard, and developed some really good relationships with these kids that I??™ll really miss.

???But I certainly don??™t want to be anywhere I??™m not wanted, and it??™s been obvious that I??™m not wanted with this program for some reason.???

Earning a paltry $2,400 per year for his services, Harris said a conservative estimate of the amount of time he spent working with the football program would run into 12 to 15 hours per week in the off-season, and at least 40 per week from summer practices through the season??™s end. That time was spent formulating the team??™s offensive game plan, opening the weight room each morning for early workouts, collecting and analyzing game film and even helping mow and maintain the team??™s field, among other duties.

???Donnie??™s a hard worker, and he??™s loyal ??” what else can you ask for out of an assistant coach,??? Madewell said.

???He has worked harder than anybody else on this staff, including myself. He??™s put in more time than anybody we??™ve got on this staff, and then he just gets let go.???

Madewell, who just finished his fourth year at the helm of the varsity squad, explained how he was informed of the school administration??™s decision.

???Mr. Bennett said he wanted to meet with me and (athletic director) Andy (Jacobs), and basically he told me they weren??™t going to hire Donnie back,??? he said. ???I told them that I had plans for Donnie to work with the freshmen next season, and asked him to reconsider. He took a day to think about it, and then told me (Wednesday) that he wasn??™t going to hire him back for any position at the high school level.???

Harris??™ time with Pioneer football dated back 10 years to the middle school program, which was then under the tutelage of coach Nathan Smith. While on Madewell??™s staff at WCMS, he served as offensive coordinator for the 2001 team which had its first winning season in several years, including a victorious trip to the Warrior Bowl in Sparta.

In 2003, with Harris serving in the same capacity under WCMS coach Jeff Watson, the Pioneers roared to a 10-win season, resulting in a resolution from the county commission praising their efforts.

Harris made the jump to the high school team when Madewell took over as head coach, directing the offense for both the varsity and the freshman team, which went on to a 7-3 record and a bowl win in 2004. And for the past three years, he directed the Pioneers??™ offensive unit as it broke a 39-game losing streak and made the TSSAA playoffs for three straight seasons.

That r?©sum?©, Madewell said, demonstrated a solid work ethic and significant credibility, which made Bennett??™s decision even more difficult to understand.

???I??™m disappointed by the decision, and it??™s completely against my will,??? Madewell said. ???I had no choice in the matter, and apparently I don??™t get to pick and choose who my coaches are.???

Bennett did not return two telephone messages seeking comment on Thursday.

I know his father Bill didn't get any cooperation @ the middle school either. You won't find too many around here that was as committed as Harris family. Bill and Donnie helped bring Darin Slack in here for a QB Camp and his brother conducted a speed and agility camp and like the article said he spent ten years and countless hours and was very dedicated to Pioneer Football. I didn't agree with alot of the play calling and offenses we have ran over the years, but who does? I think he should have been retained in some other position, maybe with the middle school. If you ask me, there is a lot more wrong with the other sports and nothing is getting done about it. Maybe the principal and AD need to look in the mirror!

I know his father Bill didn't get any cooperation @ the middle school either. You won't find too many around here that was as committed as Harris family. Bill and Donnie helped bring Darin Slack in here for a QB Camp and his brother conducted a speed and agility camp and like the article said he spent ten years and countless hours and was very dedicated to Pioneer Football. I didn't agree with alot of the play calling and offenses we have ran over the years, but who does? I think he should have been retained in some other position, maybe with the middle school. If you ask me, there is a lot more wrong with the other sports and nothing is getting done about it. Maybe the principal and AD need to look in the mirror!

Great point "Nitro", Let me just say that the Harris family are a class act and deserved better than what transpired with Donnie being let go by the powers to be at WCHS, with that said, do I think Donnie is a first rate high school offensive cordinator ? NO I don't, nor do I think our entire coaching staff in any sport at WCHS are, but to dismiss a man, who was obvious defended by coach Madewell, is troublesome for me. Donnie Harris is every bit as qualified as any coach or assisitant at Warren County High School. Kudos to Rob Nunley for standing up and putting into print what should have been said years ago. In closing, I would just like to say, I'm sorry Donnie Harris you deserved better. Thank you for everything you have done to better the Pioneer program.

What's this about Randy Mullican? I agree he's a pretty good OC, but his family runs a machine shop and he couldn't put in the time. IMO they have someone on the staff who would make a pretty good OC and that is Andy Evans. The freshmen averaged 34 points per game last year with him calling tthe plays. I'm pretty good friends with alot of the parents and they say he is a good coach and if we are not careful some other county will lure him away. Why don't the coaching staff ask some of these guys that played at the college level around the county for help? I'm sure Danny Martin, Bill Rutledge, Ray Robinson and Butch Bullen just to name a few would be glad to help from time to time. We all should have the same goal; developing our student/atheletes and get back to having a winning program!

I heard through the grape vine that they are looking for someone who has played some college football.

Have they posted the job on TSSAA or just going to search within the county? Who will get the say so about the hire? Are all the other coaches still in place and willing to return?

Have they posted the job on TSSAA or just going to search within the county? Who will get the say so about the hire? Are all the other coaches still in place and willing to return?

Job has been posted on TSSAA website TSSAA Bulletin Board

FB - Warren County High School is in need of 1 assistant football coach at the varsity level. Science endorsement preferred but might consider other areas. Contact Athletic Director, Andy Jacobs at jacobsa2@k12tn.net or Principal, James Bennett at bennettj@k12tn.net if interested. (01/16/2008)