Warren Co. Season

Nitro14

I will agree with you nitro14 there is alot of talent coming up and the only problem the freshman team had this year was depth. I had heard they had around 30 or 35 8th graders last year what happened to all of them this year? IMO if the middle school can get another quality coach like BILL HARRIS to keep that program headed in the right direction then the depth on the varisty team will keep getting better every year.

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is alot of talent with the freshman I just wish we could develop some more lineman, we have a few but as a whole that position is not that consistent.

What could the program do to get more lineman to come out for the team? I no theirs a bunch walking the hall that dont play anymore.

What could the program do to get more lineman to come out for the team? I no theirs a bunch walking the hall that dont play anymore.

I would send Jeff Watson out to talk to them. Jeff is well liked by the players and someone needs to walk the halls at warren county and talk to some of these young men. If you talk to 30 and get 5 to come out, I think that would be good. I guarentee you, there are quality people walking the halls that could help this team.

Wrench, that's a very good question that could be directed toward any position on the team. I'm an outsider looking in and one of the big problems that I see (or hear) is all the negativity in Warren County around football and other sports. I moved here 10 years ago and immediately got involved in the youth program and one of the 1st things that I noticed was when the new high school coach got involved with it was all the criticism directed toward him and he had not even coached the first play yet. "He wasn't a native son", "we don't like the wing T offense." "He don't know what it takes to motivate these kids." He never stood a chance. These kids are very impressionable and when they hear all of this, alot of them start believing it to. Unfortunately all of this negativity starts in the youth league. This coach don't like that coach. The officials are pitiful (never mind the fact that they're HS kids helping out) My favorite, which was directed toward me, "He's not from here, how does he know who these kids are?" I thought at first that "who = talent". I found out later that "who = who the mommas and daddies were." Things like this happen everywhere but it seems to be much worse here. But, I will say that I had more OUTSTANDING parents that helped me than I did negative ones. You can take it for what it's worth but I got to see many more kids of those outstanding parents playing on Friday nights than I did the not so outstanding ones! Ok, that's my opinion as an outsider. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, it's just my observation. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I would send Jeff Watson out to talk to them. Jeff is well liked by the players and someone needs to walk the halls at warren county and talk to some of these young men. If you talk to 30 and get 5 to come out, I think that would be good. I guarentee you, there are quality people walking the halls that could help this team.

I agree with you coach Watson is well liked with all the players and could help get more young men to come out. IMO the big problem is coach Watson teaches at the middle school and doesnt have any contact with the high school kids except after school and by then most are allready gone for the day.

Wrench, that's a very good question that could be directed toward any position on the team. I'm an outsider looking in and one of the big problems that I see (or hear) is all the negativity in Warren County around football and other sports. I moved here 10 years ago and immediately got involved in the youth program and one of the 1st things that I noticed was when the new high school coach got involved with it was all the criticism directed toward him and he had not even coached the first play yet. "He wasn't a native son", "we don't like the wing T offense." "He don't know what it takes to motivate these kids." He never stood a chance. These kids are very impressionable and when they hear all of this, alot of them start believing it to. Unfortunately all of this negativity starts in the youth league. This coach don't like that coach. The officials are pitiful (never mind the fact that they're HS kids helping out) My favorite, which was directed toward me, "He's not from here, how does he know who these kids are?" I thought at first that "who = talent". I found out later that "who = who the mommas and daddies were." Things like this happen everywhere but it seems to be much worse here. But, I will say that I had more OUTSTANDING parents that helped me than I did negative ones. You can take it for what it's worth but I got to see many more kids of those outstanding parents playing on Friday nights than I did the not so outstanding ones! Ok, that's my opinion as an outsider. I'm not saying I'm right or wrong, it's just my observation. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

OWLS1987 you are wright we need more depth at all positions and i no it is coming up threw the youth programs we just cant keep them playing for some reason. If we could fix that problem then we could really see if we were getting better as a program or not instead of saying if this kid was playing or that kid was playing we would be better.

I helped with the youth program from 97 until 04 and owls1987 is pretty much on in his observations. I think the youth league should be teaching these kids the basics and fundamentals of the game and let them have fun and start molding them into fundamentally sound football players. I might have been one of the coaches that didn't like the "wing t" idea. I just taught kids the number of the holes and ran a two back set either "I" or split backs and made sure lineman knew how important thier footwork and blocking techiques were and ran plays. I think you should always base your offense on the players you have. If the players are fundamentally sound, they shouldn't have any problems picking up on different offenses @ the middle school and high school level.

We are all in this together and should support these players. We should try to talk with the ones who are not playing anymore and get them back.

What's everyone's take on Britton leaving Franklin Co.?

I bet it goes back to AAU basketball! That and the fact that most of the lineman type are just lazy and would rather ride around act like rednecks.

95, you are right about some of the linemenbeing lazy, but let tell you a story one of my good friends, (I won't mention his name but he is one of the directors of the youth program.) anyway his oldest son was an eighth grader on this years ms team, not a real aggressive kid but 6ft and 220 and just starting to come out of his shell, one day in practice the line coach told the 13 yr old kid "I don't need you", so the kid quit, after 3yrs of getting his brains beat in by older kids. he says he doesn't ever play football again, now this kid has a younger brother who is A STUD in the youth leagues, but he will tell you he won't play for WC because of what happened to his older brother. This man has worked his butt off for the betterment of WC Football for the last 7-8 years and it kills him that a jack*** ruined a 13 year old from playing a sport he loved. He came close to resigning from the youth program this winter but some have talked him into giving it some more time. So whomever the middle school gets as their new coach, get some quality assistants that can deal with 13-14 year old KIDS. These are not adults that are playing at that level.

I agree with you coach Watson is well liked with all the players and could help get more young men to come out. IMO the big problem is coach Watson teaches at the middle school and doesnt have any contact with the high school kids except after school and by then most are allready gone for the day.

What about Steven Britton ??? He is looking for a job now, after being let go by Franklin County. Is there any scenario, where he comes here ? He defitently would be a tremendous help to our O-Line and D-Line. I am sure he would jump at that $2,500 we were paying Donnie Harris. Is that a crock or what ? Lets face facts people. We DO NOT CARE IF WE HAVE A TOP NOTCH COACHING STAFF OR TEAM, even though we fill Nunley stadium .

95, you are right about some of the linemenbeing lazy, but let tell you a story one of my good friends, (I won't mention his name but he is one of the directors of the youth program.) anyway his oldest son was an eighth grader on this years ms team, not a real aggressive kid but 6ft and 220 and just starting to come out of his shell, one day in practice the line coach told the 13 yr old kid "I don't need you", so the kid quit, after 3yrs of getting his brains beat in by older kids. he says he doesn't ever play football again, now this kid has a younger brother who is A STUD in the youth leagues, but he will tell you he won't play for WC because of what happened to his older brother. This man has worked his butt off for the betterment of WC Football for the last 7-8 years and it kills him that a jack*** ruined a 13 year old from playing a sport he loved. He came close to resigning from the youth program this winter but some have talked him into giving it some more time. So whomever the middle school gets as their new coach, get some quality assistants that can deal with 13-14 year old KIDS. These are not adults that are playing at that level.

You should remember there are two sides to every story. The coach you referred to is a former UT player that gave much time and needed line coaching for 3 years. He should be appreciated for being very generous with his time. He was asked to coach. He did not seek the position.

There is no need to get into specifics here, but I have talked to the player's dad and been around his family. His dad is very unhappy about him not playing football, but knows any position is earned, not given because he showed up. I hope this one will miss football enough to come back and earn his own way.

Anyone that has played football knows that it takes a lot to motivate players in practice and in games. Coaches sometimes are misunderstood. This is a coach I will stand beside as well as all the other middle school coaches.