Why Don't Kids Play

66in74

Most kids do not HAVE to hold down a job. Thats typically their excuse for missing school , practice ,etc. Kids want to work so their friends can hear their bass thumpin a mile away , not so they can help their disabled parents feed their little brother. When kids tell me they have to work and they have to hold down their $5.15 per hour job and every week their stereo gets louder and their rims get shinier I know they don't have to work but their priorites are in different places.

If you have ever worked in an environment that employed young people of that age perhaps you would think differently. The reason young folks work varys from situation to situation. Alot of the kids that have those jobs bust their butts, are dependable, have good work ethics, and are learning valuable skills that will help them in years to come. Yes there are some who are lazy, don't show up to work, and when they get to work they screwball around. But guess what? Adults are pretty much the same.

This next part is not directed to you but others on here as well. Shesh you sound like a bunch of grumpy old men. "These kids nowdays play their dern music to loud, run around chasin garls, and don't do anything but cause a lot of hassle". Some of you need to take your Geritol, rub some icy hot on and lighten up a little.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 sports is tough my brother had practice from 9-8pm almost everyday this summer between the 3 with an hour a day for lunch and rest, something you might encounter also is like was what I had to endure was out of season coaches demanding you to be at a practice in the summer instead of football, I know it is a problem in several places with baseball and basketball

3 sports is tough my brother had practice from 9-8pm almost everyday this summer between the 3 with an hour a day for lunch and rest, something you might encounter also is like was what I had to endure was out of season coaches demanding you to be at a practice in the summer instead of football, I know it is a problem in several places with baseball and basketball

Exactly

This is a pretty interesting topic. It makes me think hard about how times have changed from when I played (late 60s) from when my sons played (late 80s) to my youngest grandson beginning to start playing sports. I know kids attitudes have changed, but there's also something else that has changed, the parents. Some parents now worry about two things, how their kid does and how it affects their reputation. If the kid does terrible, the parent is worried about what it makes them look like. If the kid does good and plays on a terrible team, the parent is worried about the kid and the kid alone. This rubs off on the kid and it's where we get our T.O. and Kobe's. Kids aren't dumb, they understand a lot of things that we think we pass them by with sometimes. One of the main reasons we don't see a lot of good athletes dressing out in a sports is because of their parents. You can't push a kid into a sport, they'll grow to hate it.

I agree with good work ethic as much as anyone. But I also agree with letting the kids play and letting the coaches fix their mistakes. Sorry if this is off topic, but it's something that has bothered me for a while now anyway.

I've been at SHHS a few times this year and have seen some really big-athletic kids in the hallway.

I wonder why more of these kids aren't playing football?

When I played the coaches would walk the hallways and classrooms encouraging kids to play, and many would.

Does that not happen now?

Maybe it is because they see all of the old busted up adults and realize that their bodies are worth more than a few gridiron memories. Or maybe they simply are not interested in the sport. Who are we to criticise a kid for not sharing our interests?

I Agree with alot you all have said but their are some kids that feel that if they stick to one sport that it will better them, which isn't true. What they fail to Realize is that every sport you play helps you get better for another. Alot of College coaches and recruiters look at how many sports you participate in to find out how much of an athelete a person really is

I think there are many contributing factors. (including)

1 - Student/palyer personalities - believe it or not some kids don't like sports

2 - Parents - some parents won't let the kids play.

3 - Coaches - Yes, Coaches, as a former coach/player, some coaches can just ruin your experiences on a field and turn the kids away from the program. (The coach is considered lazy, or just not liked or what not.)

4 - Parents (again) - Grow a backbone and tell your kid no you can't do that, you're not the boss, as long as you live under my house you go by my rules. There are way to many situations where the "inmates run the asylum."

5 - Youth/AAU Coaches - Stop burning the kids out, they don't have to play football/baseball/soccer/basketball from the time they are 5 to 18, year round. It is still a game. Let them have fun.

6 - Parents - Guess what, 98-99% of student athletes don't play college ball, there is a reason for that, in a phrase "Little Johnny is not that good", no matter how much smoke goes somewhere.

7 - Players - stop playing to get a scholarship, play to have fun and win, the rest will take care of itself.

Granted, I loved playing sports, but I worked, played sports, fished and chased girls. I made time for all of them. This may sound crazy but the girls looked prettier after a win, the work seemed easier after a win, and school was a whole lot more fun after a win, when you lost everything was worse.

I hate losing to this day, do most kids hate losing, nah they are worried about the dance after the game.