Why Don't Kids Play

66in74

Why do kids not play?

Well, the reasons stated above are pretty good reasons. Kids today are lazy, spoiled, and mostly incompetent. Sometimes(as in the case of my father), they have to hold down a job to take care of thier families, because a parent is sick and in need of care. While some kids don't have to hold a job down, they still have a commitment to thier boss to come to work

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burnout of athletes may not be the only issue, but it is a huge issue. Successful programs in Tennessee High School athletics all have high expectations in the off season. It's the nature of the beast. Yeah, kids may be different now than 20 years ago, but so are the expectations we place on them.

Recent changes to the TSSAA calendar are intended to address this issue, but the bottom line is that coaches and parents who want to work their kids year round will find a way. TSSAA nor anyone else can legislate good judgement.

Another twist makes this an even greater issue. The smaller the school, the greater the need to have your good athletes playing 3 sports (fall, winter, and spring). This gives those three-sport athletes virtually no off-season, EVER, especially summer. Summer for three-sport athletes tends to become a nightmare of practices, camps, and weight training.

I don't know the answer. Quality programs are great, and kids grow from being a part of great programs. It's just too easy for ALL OF US to let it get out of balance. Coaches have to win, parents want their kids to be the best they can be, administrators love to see quality, but someone has to be the bad guy and say "No More."

I don't know who I feel worse for, the kids trapped in the cycle of success, or those who never get to play on a quality program....

Most kids do not HAVE to hold down a job. Thats typically their excuse for missing school , practice ,etc. Kids want to work so their friends can hear their bass thumpin a mile away , not so they can help their disabled parents feed their little brother. When kids tell me they have to work and they have to hold down their $5.15 per hour job and every week their stereo gets louder and their rims get shinier I know they don't have to work but their priorites are in different places.

Great post eagle-eye! I agree totally! I've seen this used as an excuse so much in the past 6-8 years and like you say, most kids don't HAVE to work.

Great post eagle-eye! I agree totally! I've seen this used as an excuse so much in the past 6-8 years and like you say, most kids don't HAVE to work.

True maybe most don't have to work, but to a lot of these kids sports is not there number one priority. Many don't have to work to help out, but they do if they want to have money to do social things like have a car and go out on weekends and to a teenager in most cases this is more important than anything.

Burnout of athletes may not be the only issue, but it is a huge issue. Successful programs in Tennessee High School athletics all have high expectations in the off season. It's the nature of the beast. Yeah, kids may be different now than 20 years ago, but so are the expectations we place on them.

Recent changes to the TSSAA calendar are intended to address this issue, but the bottom line is that coaches and parents who want to work their kids year round will find a way. TSSAA nor anyone else can legislate good judgement.

Another twist makes this an even greater issue. The smaller the school, the greater the need to have your good athletes playing 3 sports (fall, winter, and spring). This gives those three-sport athletes virtually no off-season, EVER, especially summer. Summer for three-sport athletes tends to become a nightmare of practices, camps, and weight training.

I don't know the answer. Quality programs are great, and kids grow from being a part of great programs. It's just too easy for ALL OF US to let it get out of balance. Coaches have to win, parents want their kids to be the best they can be, administrators love to see quality, but someone has to be the bad guy and say "No More."

I don't know who I feel worse for, the kids trapped in the cycle of success, or those who never get to play on a quality program....

I was a 3-sport athlete at a small school,and perhaps you are right,kids are very different now. I never one time considered it a nightmare or endless. For me,the priviledge of playing ended way to soon. Like you,I don't know the answer,but we played simply for the love of playing(without any video games to interfere),and no one can make a kid love to play ball. We learned to love it by playing together growing up in our backyards. You don't see that much anymore,either.

Some kids don't play because their parents won't let them. Some don't have the time to put into any school functions. I noticed that many of those "big" kids (which really doesn't matter in smaller schools because speed, quickness, and good coaching are equally important) have to work because their parents don't have the money to support them. But also, as someone else said, it comes down to laziness and don't want to be disciplined.

Some kids don't play because their parents won't let them. Some don't have the time to put into any school functions. I noticed that many of those "big" kids (which really doesn't matter in smaller schools because speed, quickness, and good coaching are equally important) have to work because their parents don't have the money to support them. But also, as someone else said, it comes down to laziness and don't want to be disciplined.

Cool Avatar! Also,there is hunting and fishing and cars and girls and.......

yeah, nice avatar for you too. of course there is hunting, fishing, cars and girls, and.... nowadays.... video games! Where you from Blue? I seen you were a 3 sport athlete. I am from South Pittsburg and did the same. Went to college for baseball, but then quit that. It became a job, instead of fun. But anyways, what team you follow? Good Luck!

Fast girls, hot cars and dope are a few things that cause alot of problems. Idle time is the devils workshop. It take alot of hard work and disapline to play sports nowadays. Its easier to be seen and be popular ,so to speak ,doing the dumb junk out there. Anything worth anything takes hard work. Most kids choose the easy way out. You can be popular failing school, there are groups that thrive on it. Its alot harder to be an honor student and not quite as popular. Parents give children away to much leeway this day and time. This is one of my favorite sayings, if you don't expect anything out of your kids, that probably what you are going to get.Nothing. Kids arn't self motivated creatures. It starts at the top. People just need to take the time to work with their kids and expect something out of them. The Lord provided them with a set of parents for a reason. Kids at a very early age start trying to do things to get noticed ,they want attention alot of parents ignore there little accomplishments, so they learn another method, they will do anything to get attention ,good or bad. You have to se the little things they do and pat um on the back. They starve for it. In short ,people just need to take the time to be with their children and let they know daily how much they love um. They will do anything to make you proud of them. Its in their nature from the time they're born. I make my kids earn things and pat um on the back when they do it. I'm tough in ways, but I do it out of love . I expect alot and so far I've got alot. with Gods help, hopefully it will continue. In my opinion ,its all about priorities. My #1 priority is my kids. I could care less about the rest of it.

yeah, nice avatar for you too. of course there is hunting, fishing, cars and girls, and.... nowadays.... video games! Where you from Blue? I seen you were a 3 sport athlete. I am from South Pittsburg and did the same. Went to college for baseball, but then quit that. It became a job, instead of fun. But anyways, what team you follow? Good Luck!

I'm from Vonore and I follow Sequoyah. Our coach started his coaching career at South Pittsburg several years ago,so I have followed you guys from afar for many years.

Fast girls, hot cars and dope are a few things that cause alot of problems. Idle time is the devils workshop. It take alot of hard work and disapline to play sports nowadays. Its easier to be seen and be popular ,so to speak ,doing the dumb junk out there. Anything worth anything takes hard work. Most kids choose the easy way out. You can be popular failing school, there are groups that thrive on it. Its alot harder to be an honor student and not quite as popular. Parents give children away to much leeway this day and time. This is one of my favorite sayings, if you don't expect anything out of your kids, that probably what you are going to get.Nothing. Kids arn't self motivated creatures. It starts at the top. People just need to take the time to work with their kids and expect something out of them. The Lord provided them with a set of parents for a reason. Kids at a very early age start trying to do things to get noticed ,they want attention alot of parents ignore there little accomplishments, so they learn another method, they will do anything to get attention ,good or bad. You have to se the little things they do and pat um on the back. They starve for it. In short ,people just need to take the time to be with their children and let they know daily how much they love um. They will do anything to make you proud of them. Its in their nature from the time they're born. I make my kids earn things and pat um on the back when they do it. I'm tough in ways, but I do it out of love . I expect alot and so far I've got alot. with Gods help, hopefully it will continue. In my opinion ,its all about priorities. My #1 priority is my kids. I could care less about the rest of it.

Very well said. The only problem is too many parents believe being a good parent is about providing and don't realize that is only part of the equation. Many parents are too busy at work to worry about getting there kids active in something like sports or any other hobby for that matter and see these things as an inconvience rather than a chance to bond and teach there child life lessens like teamwork, goodsportsmanship, humility, discipline, etc.

Great post with a lot of truth. I'm like you,I expect a lot from my kids. Many would probably call us too hard,but I was raised to earn what you receive,which is how I am raising my kids. One is 18,the other 15,and so far-so good. The tough love my parents gave me is much appreciated today!