Sequoyah Football

warchief

These daddy coaches have crippled this program for the last few years. It needs to change.

How? What have they done or failed to do that has crippled the program? For the life of me, I can't see what you guys are talking about. Maybe I'm Dum-Dumx2, but I don't understand what they have done that is so wrong. I can look back many times over my coaching experiences and wish I had done this or that differently, but hindsight is 20-20. Every one of us watches UT play and fuss about how stupid that call was, but really, what would we do differently in the same position? Easy to say, if the run failed, they should have passed or vice-versa. As far as I know, even those coaches when they study film can see those same things. Players play, coaches coach, execution wins. At least, that's how my simple mind sees it.

• Replies 741
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Players play if the coaches say so(6 seniors at a 3a school?)-----I saw last year

Coaches coach if theyre not busy manipulating other coaches-----I saw last year

Execution wins if the coaches have taught proper execution-----I saw last year

I didnt get your quote wrong. I wasnt quoting what you have posted. I was quoting what I heard you say. I understand the stance youve decided to take. It is in your boys best interest. I also believe the coaches we have will bring a turn-around. It just wont happen this year. Hopfully, the real change will take place off the field when the season is over. Its to late for this year. The damage has already been done. I hope Im wrong about that but I doubt it. If the hired coaches stay, I think Sequoyah will see one of their best seasons in '09. I hope Mike Black is one of the hired coaches by then or at least allowed to stay since he doesnt have a boy on the team. I heard from a reasonably reliable source that one of the assistants would be likely to shift there manipulating ability towards girls basketball. Look out coach G. He has sheeps clothing and has probably already planted a few seeds.

In our conversation, I told you coach wouldn't be manipulated, and I don't believe he has. I also said they wouldn't be there if they couldn't help, and I still believe that. Like you, I hope coach Black is around for many years. It's not too late,the boys are working hard,and it will show. If I would have any reason against these guys coaching, it would be this. They are in a no-win situation. No matter what it is, there will be folks who believe they influence playing time for their boys. Again, I don't believe coaches Summey or Gregory play that game. There again, I really can't speak for another man, just what I perceive to be true. I really can't see a hindrance to your interest on the team. If you are who I think you are(don't worry,I won't say), he played the majority of every game. I perceive also there is nothing that will change your mind on this issue, so this is it for me. As for girls basketball, if he can help.......? Speaking of coach Black, did that work out for him to be a hired coach this year? I know there was some talk about that, but I have lost track of that subject. Well, almost 2 months till spring practice, just have to be bored till then.

How? What have they done or failed to do that has crippled the program? For the life of me, I can't see what you guys are talking about. Maybe I'm Dum-Dumx2, but I don't understand what they have done that is so wrong. I can look back many times over my coaching experiences and wish I had done this or that differently, but hindsight is 20-20. Every one of us watches UT play and fuss about how stupid that call was, but really, what would we do differently in the same position? Easy to say, if the run failed, they should have passed or vice-versa. As far as I know, even those coaches when they study film can see those same things. Players play, coaches coach, execution wins. At least, that's how my simple mind sees it.

If a kid feels as though he does not have a chance he is not going to come out and play, this is backed by the number of players that we have. Let me ask you this question everybody agrees this year was better, Is their a significant increase in the number of kids working out?

Ill see you on the side lines. I didnt mean to get so addicted to this posting stuff anyway. Ill support my boy and leave the rest of it up to you guys and the coaches. My boy has nothing to worry about unless Im found out so if youre getting close I better get out while the gettings good. I doubt if you know who I am but maybe. Give me a call.

You've got nothing to worry about from me. Until you decide to reveal yourself, I know nothing.

Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary Eleventh Edition defines a fan as: An enthusiastic devotee; usually as a spectator. An ardent admirer or enthusiast.

Supporter: One that supports or acts as a support.

Critic: One given to harsh or captious judgement.

Just wanted to make sure everyone was clear on these so they knew which category they fell under.

If a kid feels as though he does not have a chance he is not going to come out and play, this is backed by the number of players that we have. Let me ask you this question everybody agrees this year was better, Is their a significant increase in the number of kids working out?

No significant increase in numbers, but that goes back to what I've said for a long time, "Winning Breeds Winning, Losing Breeds Losing". Winning will also increase our numbers, inwhich we will see this time next year, because 09 will be a great season for Sequoyah! If a kid feels as though he does not have a chance to play, then this kid has been let down somewhere down the line, this kid has been given the opportunity to fail and he took it and that is just a excuse to convince himself not to try AGAIN! I have coached alot of kids, in many sports, in my opinion it all starts at home, it has nothing to do with high school coaches. My son didnt start playing football until the seventh grade, one play per game is all he got, the following year he got maybe a series, freshmen year got hammered day after day, he thought about quiting but didnt, stuck with it, worked harder and things started paying off, not one time did I ever hear anything about his coaches. What are we going to talk about next season when the volunteer coaches no longer have a son playing? If we have a great season next year, what are we going to blame the coaches for then? PLEASE PEOPLE, if your child is not getting playing time, tell them to work harder and good things will happen, there is no favortism here no matter what you think, the kids who are getting playing time are "working hard". Its just like what I preach to my LL coaches, if a kid sees or hears you blameing a ref for something then they will blame refs for a loss or make excuses for losing, so DO NOT DO IT, so if they lose then they need to work harder. I honestly believe there are personal issues with the volunteer coaches and the ones who are bashing them, but if coach Summey thought for a second that they could not do the job then they wouldn't be there. Get on board ladies and gentlemen, dont give these kids excuses or reason not to try, they read these threads also. If I was a freshmen I could easily read this and come with a "excuse" not to try. So please encourage all the kids to play, 09 should be the year of "NO EXCUSES". If you tell your child that they can quit, then your failing them not just in football but life. I'm not saying force them to play but never just give up.

No significant increase in numbers, but that goes back to what I've said for a long time, "Winning Breeds Winning, Losing Breeds Losing". Winning will also increase our numbers, inwhich we will see this time next year, because 09 will be a great season for Sequoyah! If a kid feels as though he does not have a chance to play, then this kid has been let down somewhere down the line, this kid has been given the opportunity to fail and he took it and that is just a excuse to convince himself not to try AGAIN! I have coached alot of kids, in many sports, in my opinion it all starts at home, it has nothing to do with high school coaches. My son didnt start playing football until the seventh grade, one play per game is all he got, the following year he got maybe a series, freshmen year got hammered day after day, he thought about quiting but didnt, stuck with it, worked harder and things started paying off, not one time did I ever hear anything about his coaches. What are we going to talk about next season when the volunteer coaches no longer have a son playing? If we have a great season next year, what are we going to blame the coaches for then? PLEASE PEOPLE, if your child is not getting playing time, tell them to work harder and good things will happen, there is no favortism here no matter what you think, the kids who are getting playing time are "working hard". Its just like what I preach to my LL coaches, if a kid sees or hears you blameing a ref for something then they will blame refs for a loss or make excuses for losing, so DO NOT DO IT, so if they lose then they need to work harder. I honestly believe there are personal issues with the volunteer coaches and the ones who are bashing them, but if coach Summey thought for a second that they could not do the job then they wouldn't be there. Get on board ladies and gentlemen, dont give these kids excuses or reason not to try, they read these threads also. If I was a freshmen I could easily read this and come with a "excuse" not to try. So please encourage all the kids to play, 09 should be the year of "NO EXCUSES". If you tell your child that they can quit, then your failing them not just in football but life. I'm not saying force them to play but never just give up.

GO CHIEFS!!!!! BEAT THOSE CATS!!!!

It would be more like if they feel like they may not start or they may not get to start in the position they want to then they will not come out to play. Seqouyah has been here for 12 years and they have never really had the numbers out that they should. The best numbers i have seen was when Meadows was here. They started winning and guess what the next year the numbers went up. After he left the numbers went right back down. Dum Dum is right. You start winning then we will see those numbers go up. I talked to a kid before last season started and asked him why he was not playing, because this kid would have probably started for this team. He said man I have heard about how strict coach Summey is and left it at that. There is alot of reasons kids don't play. The biggest problem with alot of the kids is that they are spoiled. They are not going to put in the time and hard work that it takes to play. But alot of these kids and thier parents will never admit that so they will give some kind of excuse or blame someone else. Around this area its always about excuses or the blame game. Go to the little league games and just sit & watch & listen. You will see coaches and parents blame refs and umpires. Coaches blameing parents, parents blaming coaches. Never mind the fact that our team made mistake after mistake it had to be somebody else's fault. The parents on here, sure they will tell thier side of a story. You go ask coach Summey and more than likely what he says will be totally different. If you want to get for real about it quit looking to always blame someone else just because your kid is not playing enough or because you feel your kid is not playing in the RIGHT (in your mind) position. Here's a thought. Maybe the kid has not earned it, or maybe its what is best for the team, or maybe another kid is performing a little better. Oh no that could'nt be it could it! It must be someone else's fault.

It would be more like if they feel like they may not start or they may not get to start in the position they want to then they will not come out to play. Seqouyah has been here for 12 years and they have never really had the numbers out that they should. The best numbers i have seen was when Meadows was here. They started winning and guess what the next year the numbers went up. After he left the numbers went right back down. Dum Dum is right. You start winning then we will see those numbers go up. I talked to a kid before last season started and asked him why he was not playing, because this kid would have probably started for this team. He said man I have heard about how strict coach Summey is and left it at that. There is alot of reasons kids don't play. The biggest problem with alot of the kids is that they are spoiled. They are not going to put in the time and hard work that it takes to play. But alot of these kids and thier parents will never admit that so they will give some kind of excuse or blame someone else. Around this area its always about excuses or the blame game. Go to the little league games and just sit & watch & listen. You will see coaches and parents blame refs and umpires. Coaches blameing parents, parents blaming coaches. Never mind the fact that our team made mistake after mistake it had to be somebody else's fault. The parents on here, sure they will tell thier side of a story. You go ask coach Summey and more than likely what he says will be totally different. If you want to get for real about it quit looking to always blame someone else just because your kid is not playing enough or because you feel your kid is not playing in the RIGHT (in your mind) position. Here's a thought. Maybe the kid has not earned it, or maybe its what is best for the team, or maybe another kid is performing a little better. Oh no that could'nt be it could it! It must be someone else's fault.

A-MEN brother.

Slobber and his twin sister 4-real (in your own mind) must blame someone for thier short comings.

I heard a rumor that Coach (Gillamet?) has already been turned loose. Can anyone confirm? If so, do you think the next coach hired will like the idea of a parent helping him/her coach? The foundation is already in place and now the blocks are being layed. At least we wont have to worry about football in 09.

If they don't like the idea of a parent helping them they are probably not going to get hired

This is what you said on your 1st post on this thread. Notice the line which indicates that you too have a problem with "daddy ball"!!!

with a united Middle School/ Jr age Playing under the Sequoyah middle banner.

I can think of 1 coach who would fit the bill

coach James or someone like minded, willing to work with SQHS,not tied to either town by long heated history.

No daddy ball involved

Coach James would be someone to think of.

You are correct I see this at the "youth level".

I have coached with and agaist both DR.D and 3/4 P and in my mind they are both

Team Coaches not your average LL Daddy-Player Coaches. Their is a difference

You coach dad's that play little johnny where he can be a supper star. Then he gets

to HS and can't handle not being the star. Blame it on someone.

Support the School, The Coaches,The Team,The Kids.

It's easy to suppourt yours and talk bad about everyone else.