Union City vs Memphis Mitchell

Just got word that Union City beat Mitchell tonite in Jackson 89-88....Was told UC led by 20 with a minute left in the third quarter and held on down the stretch.....I know of at least one player for Mitchell not playing because of the football playoffs,that being Kenyon Torry..I'm not sure who else on the team plays football.....

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are pretty good. Ken Torry is our best player and Mcaster and Holloway are our best post players but they were on the field tonight. I am not the one to make excuses and we still should have won the game. In the jamboree all 3 plaued and we blew Hamilton off the court with Torry scoring 12 points and 6 rebounds in the quarter. Once we are full strenth we should be ok. Other Memphis teams tha are good. BTW, Ral-Egypt, Hamilton, Craigmont, St. George, and White Station.

How good is Mithcell compared to Memphis teams? Just want to get a good read on Union City. They return 4 starters, none over 6'1, with or without 2 starters for Mitchell just need a gauge to go by. Thanks.

On The Ball Magazine's preview of Mitchell talks about the quality depth the Tigers possess and that Erik Buggs,who transferred from perennial state power White Station,has already committed to Valparaiso and other college recruiters would be "all over" Wade,Jones,Neal,Torry and McCaster..Union City on the other hand has one player being actively recruited,that being MJ Brown who reportedly has standing offers from Murray State and UTM....Mitchell is also the team that is the two-time defending AA state runnerup.....Union City actually has only three starters back..UC lost all-state guard Cedric Allen and another guard Jeremy Simpson both averaged 16ppg last season...UC does have one starter,Nik Brooks who is 6'3" and I was told he fouled out...UC has only one other player taller,Brandon Easley at 6'4"...He and Pat Polk just rejoined the team...They are both football players...I was told that BJ Marshall sat out this game with an arm injury....MJ Brown followed up his 28 point effort against Jackson S-S with a 31 point effort against Mitchell....I made sure to mention in my initial post on this game that Mitchell had at least one player out due to the football playoffs and that I didn't know who else played football for the Tigers...I am not naive enough to think that the three players that Mitchell had out of the game for football would not have made a big difference in the game but by the same token they were not decimated by them being out either....This was a good win for the Tornadoes....

Galilee.....I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you and your Tigers on your big football win in the state playoffs against Dyersburg.....I had picked D-Burg to win but my gut told me Mitchell would take the game......I have been in attendence the last two years that Mitchell has played for the state championship in basketball and was in Dyersburg last season when the Tigers played the Trojans in the football playoffs..I have been impressed by your fan support and the class your supporters show....Good Luck the rest of the way for both teams....

This was Galilee's preview of the Tigers from an earlier thread.....The first 5 being starters....

Jarvis Jones Sr, 6-2 Guard , (16 pts and 3 steals)- A pure shooter. Lefty with unlimited range. Has improved his in between game and handles. Our leading returning scorer with a high of 51 vs. Oakhaven last year.

Mardracus Wade Soph, 6-2 Guard (13 pts 6asst. 4 stls)- Was the key to our late season run last year. High D-1 player with numerous offers already (Memphis, Arkansas, New Mexico, Ga. Tech). A winner who never lost a game in middle school. One of the top 2 soph in city along with Joe Jackson (White Station). Played the point last year but will move to the wing wit the arrival of Eric Buggs. Led his team to the high school summer league title. Scored 15pts in the 2 overtimes in the title game.

Eric Buggs Sr. 6-0 Guard (11pts 5asst.)- White Station transfer. Pure speed. The talk of the summer with his handles and defense. Locked up Joe Jackson in the high school summer league title game. Will push the ball and is very unselfish.

Darryl Neal Sr. 6-5 Forward (12 pts 5 reb)- Excellent role player. Nightmare match up because of his shooting. Can put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. Wingspan allows him to play passing lanes and is a great finisher.

Lewis Mccaster Sr. 6-6 Center (9 pts 12reb)- Does the dirty work inside. Big time D-1 fb prospect. Left handed with good footwork and post moves. Loves to bang in the paint.

Reserves

Ken Torry Sr 6-2 Guard (15 pts 5 reb)- Pure athlete. Could start on any other team in the state. When he is on we are very hard to beat. Began last year with discipline problems and missed 8 games in Dec and Jan. QB in football and finished 4th in state in the high jump. D-1 fb recruit as a wr. Can slash to the basket and score at will. Hit 44 on Whitehaven in MLK tournament last year.

Evan Douval Jr 6-5 Forward (4pts 2reb 2 blks)- Starter last year but will come off bench with the arrival of Buggs. Lacks strengths but plays hard and has great timing.

Amari Burchett Sr 6-6 F/C (7 pts 4 reb) came on late in year and was the key in our 1st round state victory over Howard. Can play inside or outside.

Donald Holloway Sr. 6-3 255 F (4 pts 3 reb.) Do not let weight fool you. Very agile. Starting rb on fb team, yes rb. Can get rebound and lead the break. Really enjoys the game and plays wit passion

Robert Littlejohn Soph 6-8 C - Transferred in from Arizona. Played on sate title team as a freshman. If knew the system better would be a starter. Excellent post game wit good shot blocking skills. Will be a high D-1 player.

Other role players

Dale Lloyd 6-6 jr

Lonnie Mcghee 6-3 soph

Terion Echols 6-1 sr

We are pretty good. Ken Torry is our best player and Mcaster and Holloway are our best post players but they were on the field tonight. I am not the one to make excuses and we still should have won the game. In the jamboree all 3 plaued and we blew Hamilton off the court with Torry scoring 12 points and 6 rebounds in the quarter. Once we are full strenth we should be ok. Other Memphis teams tha are good. BTW, Ral-Egypt, Hamilton, Craigmont, St. George, and White Station.

how could you talk about great memphis teams and not talk about the team you will face if you can beat Oakhaven this week. if mitchell is lucky enough to beat Oakhaven they will face the best team in the city MANASSAS. the artical by Galilee will make the real tigers mad and hungry to show the state that they are for real they better play torry and lewis cause this 1 will get real ugly fast. you talk about not having Torry and others when the only player on UC who has D-1 Status is MJ Brown you had 4 other players with D-1 status playing Jones Wade Buggs and Neal and you lost because yall are 2 cocky yall were down 20 with 4 d-1 players to 1 for UC u left off Central high, CBHS, B-crest, and Treadwell you will see i dont want no excuse like you are making now!

On The Ball Magazine's preview of Mitchell talks about the quality depth the Tigers possess and that Erik Buggs,who transferred from perennial state power White Station,has already committed to Valparaiso and other college recruiters would be "all over" Wade,Jones,Neal,Torry and McCaster..Union City on the other hand has one player being actively recruited,that being MJ Brown who reportedly has standing offers from Murray State and UTM....Mitchell is also the team that is the two-time defending AA state runnerup.....Union City actually has only three starters back..UC lost all-state guard Cedric Allen and another guard Jeremy Simpson both averaged 16ppg last season...UC does have one starter,Nik Brooks who is 6'3" and I was told he fouled out...UC has only one other player taller,Brandon Easley at 6'4"...He and Pat Polk just rejoined the team...They are both football players...I was told that BJ Marshall sat out this game with an arm injury....MJ Brown followed up his 28 point effort against Jackson S-S with a 31 point effort against Mitchell....I made sure to mention in my initial post on this game that Mitchell had at least one player out due to the football playoffs and that I didn't know who else played football for the Tigers...I am not naive enough to think that the three players that Mitchell had out of the game for football would not have made a big difference in the game but by the same token they were not decimated by them being out either....This was a good win for the Tornadoes....

Galilee.....I would like to take this opportunity to congratulate you and your Tigers on your big football win in the state playoffs against Dyersburg.....I had picked D-Burg to win but my gut told me Mitchell would take the game......I have been in attendence the last two years that Mitchell has played for the state championship in basketball and was in Dyersburg last season when the Tigers played the Trojans in the football playoffs..I have been impressed by your fan support and the class your supporters show....Good Luck the rest of the way for both teams....

This was Galilee's preview of the Tigers from an earlier thread.....The first 5 being starters....

Jarvis Jones Sr, 6-2 Guard , (16 pts and 3 steals)- A pure shooter. Lefty with unlimited range. Has improved his in between game and handles. Our leading returning scorer with a high of 51 vs. Oakhaven last year.

Mardracus Wade Soph, 6-2 Guard (13 pts 6asst. 4 stls)- Was the key to our late season run last year. High D-1 player with numerous offers already (Memphis, Arkansas, New Mexico, Ga. Tech). A winner who never lost a game in middle school. One of the top 2 soph in city along with Joe Jackson (White Station). Played the point last year but will move to the wing wit the arrival of Eric Buggs. Led his team to the high school summer league title. Scored 15pts in the 2 overtimes in the title game.

Eric Buggs Sr. 6-0 Guard (11pts 5asst.)- White Station transfer. Pure speed. The talk of the summer with his handles and defense. Locked up Joe Jackson in the high school summer league title game. Will push the ball and is very unselfish.

Darryl Neal Sr. 6-5 Forward (12 pts 5 reb)- Excellent role player. Nightmare match up because of his shooting. Can put the ball on the floor and attack the basket. Wingspan allows him to play passing lanes and is a great finisher.

Lewis Mccaster Sr. 6-6 Center (9 pts 12reb)- Does the dirty work inside. Big time D-1 fb prospect. Left handed with good footwork and post moves. Loves to bang in the paint.

Reserves

Ken Torry Sr 6-2 Guard (15 pts 5 reb)- Pure athlete. Could start on any other team in the state. When he is on we are very hard to beat. Began last year with discipline problems and missed 8 games in Dec and Jan. QB in football and finished 4th in state in the high jump. D-1 fb recruit as a wr. Can slash to the basket and score at will. Hit 44 on Whitehaven in MLK tournament last year.

Evan Douval Jr 6-5 Forward (4pts 2reb 2 blks)- Starter last year but will come off bench with the arrival of Buggs. Lacks strengths but plays hard and has great timing.

Amari Burchett Sr 6-6 F/C (7 pts 4 reb) came on late in year and was the key in our 1st round state victory over Howard. Can play inside or outside.

Donald Holloway Sr. 6-3 255 F (4 pts 3 reb.) Do not let weight fool you. Very agile. Starting rb on fb team, yes rb. Can get rebound and lead the break. Really enjoys the game and plays wit passion

Robert Littlejohn Soph 6-8 C - Transferred in from Arizona. Played on sate title team as a freshman. If knew the system better would be a starter. Excellent post game wit good shot blocking skills. Will be a high D-1 player.

Other role players

Dale Lloyd 6-6 jr

Lonnie Mcghee 6-3 soph

Terion Echols 6-1 sr

the next time you want 2 no bout a Memphis team ask me Galilee dont no Mitchell will be the most underachiving team this year, if ken torry is there best player then they are lost he is a major head case View these web sites and yo will see where mitchell really stands. 901prepscoop.com thehoopreport.com memphishoopers.com the real memphis info.

how could you talk about great memphis teams and not talk about the team you will face if you can beat Oakhaven this week. if mitchell is lucky enough to beat Oakhaven they will face the best team in the city MANASSAS. the artical by Galilee will make the real tigers mad and hungry to show the state that they are for real they better play torry and lewis cause this 1 will get real ugly fast. you talk about not having Torry and others when the only player on UC who has D-1 Status is MJ Brown you had 4 other players with D-1 status playing Jones Wade Buggs and Neal and you lost because yall are 2 y yall were down 20 with 4 d-1 players to 1 for UC u left off Central high, CBHS, B-crest, and Treadwell you will see i dont want no excuse like you are making now!

Mitchell lost to a very good ball club.Cause UC have one D1 palyer and Mitchell had 4 doesnt mean anything.Brown is the leader and one of the best players in the state,but you cant underestimate Andre Coby,Tony Wilkins,Nic Brooks,Lovan Mosley,Pat Polk and company.These guys play fearless and dont care who you put on the court or how many D1 players on the court.A lot of these guys want play D1 because of their size,but should be good fit for D11,NAIA,or JUCO.Tony Wilkins is 5'11,but he plays loke he is 6'5,Pat Polk is a 5'11 center,but it is very hard to post him up.Even though UC is single A,they can compete with just about any team in the state.So a loss to Union City doesnt look bad for Mitchell.Union City will be one of the best teams they will play this year and after the season,Im sure Mitchell will tell you the same.

I just saw where Union City outrebounded the much taller Tigers 51-34...

MJ had 31 points with 5 3-pointers

Andre Coby had a double-double 16pts and 10 rebounds

Lavan Mosely had 14 points including a big three after Mitchell had evened the game at 82 and hit 3 of 4 free throws to seal it

Nik Brooks had 10 points

Cameron Callicott pulled down 11 boards and Pat Polk had 9 boards

Andre is 6'1"....Cameron is 6'1"....Pat is 6'0"

As chipper said...These guys play fearless...

Funny thing about the whole deal was all the guys could talk about before the Mitchell game was Humboldt....