Goodpasture to Host Hickman County

easyreader

I stated this same opinion either on this topic or another and I was bashed by Hickman County fans. That is the key to succeeding in 2A football is your non-region schedule. If you want to compete for state championships and the privates you have to schedule up. Even Alcoa does it. They play the likes of McCallie, Fulton, and other top schools from other classifications. I know CPA is always looking for games within their own classification, so Hickman wouldn't have a problem scheduling them. All they have to do is pick up the phone.

Like was stated earlier Camden learned their lesson in dealing with the privates from Nashville. Will Hickman Co. do the same or will they stay like Lewis Co. who won't take those 1A teams off their schedule? We see where that has gotten the Panthers.

Another note to Bulldog fans, getting to the 3rd round won't always be that easy. This year the quadrant system payed off for you guys and Lewis Co. having GP and CPA play each other in the first round. That won't be the case every year, just the way it fell this year.

Dang this guy is always dogging on us.He is still pretty upset that Hickman spanked the yellow jackets this year.And its going happen next year to so go ahead and start crying about next year too.Get over the fact that Hickman had a great year this year and tryin to put us down by saying we got lucky.Maybe your poor little Fairview will have a good year in a couple more years.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get so tired hearing about how private schools can "pick and choose" and that is why they have an advantage in sports. That would only be true if:

1. the students were chosen based on their athletic ability. That is NOT the case at CPA (don't know about other schools). For example, both of my sons went to CPA for 12 years. One had no athletic skills at all and the other played football but not until his junior year. He was never projected to be a good player, but became one. He would never have been "picked" because of his athletic skills.

2. A large % of the students who were granted admission (i.e., "picked") ended up playing sports. That is not the case as less than 25% of male students play football.

3. Students were "picked" after they have proven they were good athletes. That is not the case as most football players start school in k-3 grade, before they can be projected as good players.

4. Students don't have to meet other admission requirements. That is not the case at CPA as the admission waitlist is sometimes long, and families who go to the church (CLC), or have siblings already at the school, get priority.

I know this post should be on the private/public board, but I didn't bring up the issue on this board.

I think most of the people who complain about the privates are the "arm chair quarterbacks" anyway, who need an excuse the players don't want. The players want to prepare, work hard, get better, and prove they can win against any and all odds, without excuse. If they do that, they will really be prepared for fighting the battles life brings them when they have a perceived disadvantage, rather than complain about life being unfair. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I agree, MOST of the students at some of these privates come there because it's a private school and they want a private education. In MOST cases it has nothing to do with athletics, this is where public and privates are very close to being the same. It's those few above average athletes who come for athletic reasons that creates the despairities. Say what you want, but there's no denying that some players are there because of the athletics whether they came on their own or was encouraged to come. If some of these schools had no athletics would all those athletes still be there? I don't think so.

I went to a private game this weekend and I had a long conversation with a parent of one of those kids and his son was there because of the "great FB tradition". This parent played in a public Metro school and his son "wouldn't get the same exposure there" as at the private school. I'm not dogging any of the private schools and didn't mention the name of the school for that reason. Heck if I were in that situation I might send my kids there. I just get tired of some of those great schools trying to pass themselves off as we just win with what we have schools.

Such a shame this thread has been turned into the great public vs. private school debate. When you lose and you bring this up, it sounds like sour grapes. I didn't hear anybody complaining about GP being a private school before we lost! I agree with those that have sited scheduling some of the cream of the 2a crop would help. But enough about that crap...

Congratulations to the Bulldogs on a fantastic season...the best in decades!!! This season should prove as a building block for next season and so on.

Congratulations to the Cougars as well. Good luck the rest of the way. And somebody, anybody, please beat Alcoa!

I am an avid Lewis County Fan an I am so sick of our fans getting on a thread like this and putting teams down. Hickman County had a great year and represented our region well tonight. They deserve to be bragged on at this moment instead of being put down. Lewis County fans should be ashamed of posting one negative thing about anyone. We had our chance and did not seize the opportunity like Hickman Co. did. I would like to tell all the people of Hickman Co. that they had an oustanding year and we are proud for them. I wish your game had turned out better tonight but there are very few teams that can boast about an 11-2 record. Good Luck until we play again next year and please overlook the classless posters on this vent from Lewis County.

Appreciate this post very much! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Appreciate this post very much! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Stating facts is not crying.

I predict next year some assortment of Goodpasture, Alcoa, CPA and DCA will be in the final 4 of 2A football. Same goes for the year after that as well. Probably the year after that too. The only thing that can stop it from happening is making some of them play each other in the same bracket.

Some of that is tradition. Some of it is 'attracting' superior athletes. That's a disadvantage to the closed zone public no matter how you slice it. Harpeth Middle beat Goodpasture Middle in 2006 30-6. I'll bet the 2010 Goodpasture team will bear little resemblance to the 2006 middle school team, but the Harpeth High team will be almost identical. How's that not a disadvantage?

All it takes is a running back or a wide out or a quarterback or a linebacker. 2 or 3 guys can make a difference.

Stating facts is not crying.

I predict next year some assortment of Goodpasture, Alcoa, CPA and DCA will be in the final 4 of 2A football. Same goes for the year after that as well. Probably the year after that too. The only thing that can stop it from happening is making some of them play each other in the same bracket.

Some of that is tradition. Some of it is 'attracting' superior athletes. That's a disadvantage to the closed zone public no matter how you slice it. Harpeth Middle beat Goodpasture Middle in 2006 30-6. I'll bet the 2010 Goodpasture team will bear little resemblance to the 2006 middle school team, but the Harpeth High team will be almost identical. How's that not a disadvantage?

All it takes is a running back or a wide out or a quarterback or a linebacker. 2 or 3 guys can make a difference.

Don't forget success can breed further success. GP will have played 44 games in the last three years counting next weeks game. 14 weeks of extra practice can make average players considerbly better. This years average underclassman player at GP has the opportunity to get better by repetition which eventually shows up on the field. It is not only the few stud players that make a difference.

Don't forget success can breed further success. GP will have played 44 games in the last three years counting next weeks game. 14 weeks of extra practice can make average players considerbly better. This years average underclassman player at GP has the opportunity to get better by repetition which eventually shows up on the field. It is not only the few stud players that make a difference.

I'd say that's especially true for a private or open zoned school. Success does breed success, but extra practice time won't make the hand that you're dealt playoff material. Believe me. Harpeth had 5 or 6 all state players from 97 through 2000 and 2 kids that signed DI scholarships and another one or two that should have. A Mr. Football one year and a finalist another year. When they graduated, so did the talent pool. The ones that had been practicing beside them and getting extra reps couldn't maintain the momentum because....................they weren't as good. The only way to replenish the talent was to home grow them or hope they transferred in.

How many seniors lost this year from HCHS, how many seniors will they have for next year?

They have a lot of Jrs coming back they lost a few really good Srs like Cody Leaming....but the Jr class is the loaded one!!!!

Great Season, Bulldogs.....Hang on to your Hats and get ready for the Rumor Mill to begin about Coaching changes...Happens every year

I really hope nothing changes and everyone stays put