HUNTINGDON -

H-TOWN POSSY

Lions4ever... You hit the nail on the head. You can have a good coach but take Ward or Morris or whoever and take him to Middleton or Perry County or even Lake County. They may have a winner every few years but the talent is NOT there.

The thing that has helped McKenzie is them dropping down to 1A. Think they would still be playing this Friday with this same talent. I think not. Great team in 1A ball but let them play Westview, come back with Carver, then Milan then Goodpasture then Alcoa. No Way. It has nothing to do with Comer's coaching but who they play to get to the big show. Those cats have a good team but couldn't dominate AA ball like they have in 1A ball don't you think.

Please don't talk about parity.

Milan has been good, and Trenton,Westview, Huntingdon and now Camden. Just because Camden has stepped into the mix I just have a hard time calling this parity. If this is what you call parity then AA ball has had that for a long time before Camden got better.

Look at Wards record if he was in 8AA. Please.. It's not that tough to run roughshod in 7AA. Why can't you see that?

I still can't get your idea on parity and 15 teams that could win across classifacations.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lions4ever... You hit the nail on the head. You can have a good coach but take Ward or Morris or whoever and take him to Middleton or Perry County or even Lake County. They may have a winner every few years but the talent is NOT there.

The thing that has helped McKenzie is them dropping down to 1A. Think they would still be playing this Friday with this same talent. I think not. Great team in 1A ball but let them play Westview, come back with Carver, then Milan then Goodpasture then Alcoa. No Way. It has nothing to do with Comer's coaching but who they play to get to the big show. Those cats have a good team but couldn't dominate AA ball like they have in 1A ball don't you think.

Please don't talk about parity.

Milan has been good, and Trenton,Westview, Huntingdon and now Camden. Just because Camden has stepped into the mix I just have a hard time calling this parity. If this is what you call parity then AA ball has had that for a long time before Camden got better.

Look at Wards record if he was in 8AA. Please.. It's not that tough to run roughshod in 7AA. Why can't you see that?

I still can't get your idea on parity and 15 teams that could win across classifacations.

You are still completely missing the point of the whole conversation...I and rcombs said the quality of coaching in west TN has improved to the point that there is more parity than ever before. I think where this seems to be sticking in your craw is when we try to put Camden in the mix.

When Ward came to Camden he had the same quality of athletes that have been here all along..we haven't had a sudden influx of super stars or guys that run a 4.3 40 or QB's that can throw a ball 70 yards...its the same type of athlete we had when we went 0-20. Coach Ward took what some considered a sow's ear and made it into at least a satin purse cause I'll agree we haven't quite reached the silk level just yet.

Look at JCS...they get a new coach, change systems to one that suits the athletes they have, win a 1A championship, graduate a VERY large senior class and turn around, move up, play in the toughest region in 2AA ball, give everyone in that region fits even with a VERY undersized line, and make the playoffs in their first season in THE MIGHTY 8AA . You call that a fluke?? No I call it good coaching...

Look at Peabody...don't tell me that they haven't had some mighty fine athletes at that school previous to their new coach. The difference is that he knows how to use them to emphasize their strengths and here they are, upsetting Milan and playing in the Semis.

Should I continue with Dyer Co and Henry Co?? No, I don't really have to because I think I have more than made my original point. Coaching has changed West TN ball for the better and I think that it will only continue to get stronger.

As far as my across classifications parity theory I think I'll lay that one to rest, although I could certainly spew out a few more pages to try to get that point across even though it would be a waste of time. I guess I'll concede and agree to disagree with you.

If its the coach that I think you're talking about it will be interesting to see, that if offered, he takes the job this time around as head coach since he didn't take it the last time when he was offered Swenson's job.

Just something I heard about a month or so ago! Will be interesting to see who steps in if MM does leave!

You are still completely missing the point of the whole conversation...I and rcombs said the quality of coaching in west TN has improved to the point that there is more parity than ever before. I think where this seems to be sticking in your craw is when we try to put Camden in the mix.

When Ward came to Camden he had the same quality of athletes that have been here all along..we haven't had a sudden influx of super stars or guys that run a 4.3 40 or QB's that can throw a ball 70 yards...its the same type of athlete we had when we went 0-20. Coach Ward took what some considered a sow's ear and made it into at least a satin purse cause I'll agree we haven't quite reached the silk level just yet.

Look at JCS...they get a new coach, change systems to one that suits the athletes they have, win a 1A championship, graduate a VERY large senior class and turn around, move up, play in the toughest region in 2AA ball, give everyone in that region fits even with a VERY undersized line, and make the playoffs in their first season in THE MIGHTY 8AA . You call that a fluke?? No I call it good coaching...

Look at Peabody...don't tell me that they haven't had some mighty fine athletes at that school previous to their new coach. The difference is that he knows how to use them to emphasize their strengths and here they are, upsetting Milan and playing in the Semis.

Should I continue with Dyer Co and Henry Co?? No, I don't really have to because I think I have more than made my original point. Coaching has changed West TN ball for the better and I think that it will only continue to get stronger.

As far as my across classifications parity theory I think I'll lay that one to rest, although I could certainly spew out a few more pages to try to get that point across even though it would be a waste of time. I guess I'll concede and agree to disagree with you.

Kent Scott is not a "new" coach at Peabody. He was there throughout the tenure of Tim Haney. Haney's third team played for the state championship against Franklin Road Academy in 1991. I think you will find if you speak to practically every coach in West Tn that they have a lot of respect for Haney.

Athletes do make a huge difference. There was a drought of athletes in Trenton during the late late 1990s and the early 2000s. Haney managed to salvage .500 records for most of those years and make it to the playoffs in some. Scott was, apparently, right along with him and I would assume there for decision making about "using" athletes.

Finally, to compare any athlete at Peabody in the last 20 years to Kendal Harper is impossible. He is the best the place has seen, possibly ever. Although I agree that coaching has a tremendous amount to do with it, you have to agree that Doug Argo, Peabody's offensive coordinator, is doing much more at Peabody than he did as head coach at Gibson County, where they lost something like 35 in a row.

When all is said and done, an athlete is an athlete and can make one look very smart.

Kent Scott is not a "new" coach at Peabody. He was there throughout the tenure of Tim Haney. Haney's third team played for the state championship against Franklin Road Academy in 1991. I think you will find if you speak to practically every coach in West Tn that they have a lot of respect for Haney.

Athletes do make a huge difference. There was a drought of athletes in Trenton during the late late 1990s and the early 2000s. Haney managed to salvage .500 records for most of those years and make it to the playoffs in some. Scott was, apparently, right along with him and I would assume there for decision making about "using" athletes.

Finally, to compare any athlete at Peabody in the last 20 years to Kendal Harper is impossible. He is the best the place has seen, possibly ever. Although I agree that coaching has a tremendous amount to do with it, you have to agree that Doug Argo, Peabody's offensive coordinator, is doing much more at Peabody than he did as head coach at Gibson County, where they lost something like 35 in a row.

When all is said and done, an athlete is an athlete and can make one look very smart.

Ok...I'll buy that because Harper is something special I agree. So when Harper goes do you expect Peabody to fall back into mediocrity? Or do you think Peabody will build on this season and continue to be a contender?