HUNTINGDON -

H-TOWN POSSY

Mr. Mustang - I am hearing pretty straight you guys are seeking a new head coach!! Mike has decided to hang it up. Any truth to it?

Huntingdon is NOT looking for a new head coach. Until he decides otherwise, Mike Mansfield is our coach and he is a dang good one. if Mike decides he is through coaching, he will let the administration know and then, and only then, the search will begin.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK here it is straight form T-town. If you are from Trenton and can't handle the truth please don't read any farther!

I have lived in Trenton all my life, I know these kids, I know thier ability. Next year Peabody is looking at a 6-4 season, They should have a pretty good defense but the offense win not be very productive. They are a great group of young men, but there are few good ath. in the coming JR and senior classes. Two years from now I don't know what to expect in all honesty, it depends on the combonation of players and how they develope. The freshman class two years from now will look alot like this years group of seniors. Loaded with ath., speed, and talent. This is THE class for Trenton, With hard work, Thier potential has no limits, And we expect they will be the team to set the tone for the fuiture of the program. Three years from now will be hard times for the tide, There are few good players in the mix, and most of them have some sort of super star syndrome. If they mature and work hard they can win a few games. In four years I expect the tide to start contending for the region championship every year, and maybe even a gold ball around 2011 and 2012. The differance will come from the new approach at the Jr high level, winning is not the goal, fundamentals are everything. To me this is the same way Milan built thier program. In my day Milans Jr. High never won a game. They blocked and tackeled well but that was about it. Of course we all know what those same kids did when they got to High School, paybacks are heck!

So in a nut shell, I think things will prob. drop off for 2-3 years but then take off big time! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I know I will take some flack for this post, but hey, I'm just keeping it real.

!!! ROLL TIDE !!!

I played some years ago, and we won some in mid. sch.

Who is the mid. sch. coach at Trenton?

Ok...I'll buy that because Harper is something special I agree. So when Harper goes do you expect Peabody to fall back into mediocrity? Or do you think Peabody will build on this season and continue to be a contender?

OK here it is straight form T-town. If you are from Trenton and can't handle the truth please don't read any farther!

I have lived in Trenton all my life, I know these kids, I know thier ability. Next year Peabody is looking at a 6-4 season, They should have a pretty good defense but the offense win not be very productive. They are a great group of young men, but there are few good ath. in the coming JR and senior classes. Two years from now I don't know what to expect in all honesty, it depends on the combonation of players and how they develope. The freshman class two years from now will look alot like this years group of seniors. Loaded with ath., speed, and talent. This is THE class for Trenton, With hard work, Thier potential has no limits, And we expect they will be the team to set the tone for the fuiture of the program. Three years from now will be hard times for the tide, There are few good players in the mix, and most of them have some sort of super star syndrome. If they mature and work hard they can win a few games. In four years I expect the tide to start contending for the region championship every year, and maybe even a gold ball around 2011 and 2012. The differance will come from the new approach at the Jr high level, winning is not the goal, fundamentals are everything. To me this is the same way Milan built thier program. In my day Milans Jr. High never won a game. They blocked and tackeled well but that was about it. Of course we all know what those same kids did when they got to High School, paybacks are heck!

So in a nut shell, I think things will prob. drop off for 2-3 years but then take off big time! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

!!! ROLL TIDE !!!

Good question.

I think they could easily slip back into the 4-6, 5-5, and maybe the 6-4 mode they have been in for 15-20 years.

There isn't another "franchise" type athlete on the horizon, and their freshmen and junior high only won one game combined this year. In fact, their junior high has only won about 1-2 games in the last three years.

You just never know. But, I do feel they will have to work extremely hard to make the playoffs next year and certainly won't be in the fourth round. But, what a wonderful accomplishment this year. I have really enjoyed the games I have been able to make.

I wouldn't say there isn't another franchise player on the horizon, there is, in fact there are 2 in the same class. They are 7th graders this year.

!!! ROLL TIDE !!!

Freeacen... Thanks for this post. ii goes to show Lions4ever what I'm talking about. You will have the same coach next year but if you don't have the horses or talent you won't win period. I'm realiatic enough to realize if we had been in 8AA this year we would have been sitting home again come playoff time.

Lions4ever.. I think Huntingdon had pretty good coaches before Swensen left don't you. Granted he is a great coach but Huntingdon won for a long time before he was even born.... We just don't have the talent to keep up with the "parity" you keep talking about. I'll say one more time that next year someone else will step up and after that another team may step up. Heck, anybody could beat Huntingdon anytime in the past or in the future. We just can't show up and people fall over just because we take the field parity or no parity.

If Ward stays at Camden 20 years don't you think he'll go 5-5 sometime? When that happens it won't be because of parity but a lack of talent either in the halls of CHS or on the playing field.

Freeacen... Thanks for this post. ii goes to show Lions4ever what I'm talking about. You will have the same coach next year but if you don't have the horses or talent you won't win period. I'm realiatic enough to realize if we had been in 8AA this year we would have been sitting home again come playoff time.

Lions4ever.. I think Huntingdon had pretty good coaches before Swensen left don't you. Granted he is a great coach but Huntingdon won for a long time before he was even born.... We just don't have the talent to keep up with the "parity" you keep talking about. I'll say one more time that next year someone else will step up and after that another team may step up. Heck, anybody could beat Huntingdon anytime in the past or in the future. We just can't show up and people fall over just because we take the field parity or no parity.

If Ward stays at Camden 20 years don't you think he'll go 5-5 sometime? When that happens it won't be because of parity but a lack of talent either in the halls of CHS or on the playing field.

I agree with you Mr. Ed...er...Mr. Mustang.

Morris and Mansfield have a lot to do with the success of their schools but a coach can only take a team so far. These are arguably the two best coaches in West TN but without a good talent pool neither would have state championship rings. The "team to beat" in any given year is going to be relative to talent. Without Roberson, Simms, and Dunlap Milan doesn't win state in 98 and 99. Without Donald, Bell, Nellet, and Weathers in 03 H-don doesn't win a state championship. Without Johnson and Harper Trenton isn't in the semis. My eight grade year Milan didn't win a game. My senior year we're 9-3 and one blown flag or a fumble away from the semis. But we had a lot of raw talent in MS. Good coaches can develop players and players can develop themselves by lifting but that often coincides with the program and expectations. So yes a coach can build a program and bring a little "parity" but that only goes so far.The best program is going to be the team with the best talent pool year in and year out. Huntingdon and Milan have been the best in the west since the dawn of time. In large part due to having the best players. Now that Huntingdon isn't head and shoulders above everyone else in talent they are and will struggle by Huntingdon standards. It can happen to anyone. Milan has very good talent all the way back to MS but we could too have the well run dry and go through some tough years.

I played some years ago, and we won some in mid. sch.

Who is the mid. sch. coach at Trenton?

John Prince, Peabody alum. He graduated in 1988 I belive.

He just finished his first year at TRMS, and the diff. in the first day of practice and the last game with this group of 8th graders was.........well ..........I cant find a word to describe it. They where like a different group of kids.

He is a great guy who has no ego. Dosen't put much stock in wins and losses at the Jr. High level. And isn't looking to become Jr. High "coach of the year." He is looking at the big picture when it comes to these kids. His coaching phylos. is learn the fundamentals now, and the payoff is down the road. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> Don't get me wrong he wants to win, but not at the expence of the kids becoming funamentaly sound before they get to Peabody! IMO 5 years from now he will be the unsung hero of Trenton Football. If you take a group of kids with not much ability, make them sound blocking and tackeling, they can compete with more Ath. teams. If you take a talented group of kids, make them Fundamentaly sound before they reach high school, you are going to have something special. IMO Trenton has never had a coach like him before at TRMS. Tim Haney was a great coach at the Jr. high, but he was young and wanted to win first as did Doud Higdon.

Morris and Mansfield have a lot to do with the success of their schools but a coach can only take a team so far. These are arguably the two best coaches in West TN but without a good talent pool neither would have state championship rings. The "team to beat" in any given year is going to be relative to talent. Without Roberson, Simms, and Dunlap Milan doesn't win state in 98 and 99. Without Donald, Bell, Nellet, and Weathers in 03 H-don doesn't win a state championship. Without Johnson and Harper Trenton isn't in the semis. My eight grade year Milan didn't win a game. My senior year we're 9-3 and one blown flag or a fumble away from the semis. But we had a lot of raw talent in MS. Good coaches can develop players and players can develop themselves by lifting but that often coincides with the program and expectations. So yes a coach can build a program and bring a little "parity" but that only goes so far.The best program is going to be the team with the best talent pool year in and year out. Huntingdon and Milan have been the best in the west since the dawn of time. In large part due to having the best players. Now that Huntingdon isn't head and shoulders above everyone else in talent they are and will struggle by Huntingdon standards. It can happen to anyone. Milan has very good talent all the way back to MS but we could too have the well run dry and go through some tough years.

Bulldawgs#1... Thanks for the post. I'm happy to know there are a few knowledgeable fans out there.. You can get a ticket to get in the race but you better have studs if you want to win.

PWII... This is exactly what I posted earlier on this thread. All this talk about Mansfield leaving is pure speculation.

This is true freeacen but the difference between an above average team and late playoffs state championship team is the athlete. This is in no way a knock on Trenton but I do not think that Trenton has had near the athletes Milan has been blessed with. I think back in the last several years and I see Rod Smith, Daylan Walker, Doc Roberson, Terricus Davis, Victor Kidd etc...who played for Milan. I look at Trenton the last several years and outside of Harper and Johnson I can't think of a great, game changing athlete. 2, 3, 4 years ago Scott was head coach, what was Trenton's record? 2-8 or there about. They didn't have the athletes to compete. With that lack of talent Trenton had in those years they were going to be bad regardless of program expectations. Now you've got 2 of the best athletes in 2A and you're in the semis. You can buid expectations and but the vast majority of sucess is due to the quality of athletes.

"Good coaches can develop players and players can develop themselves by lifting but that often coincides with the program and expectations."

I agree 100%. Yes, I agree with a Milan fan. Kids will respond to expectations of a program. If they see thier team winning and being suported they will work harder to keep it going. Milan is the prime exsample of that! It's like I have said for years, Milan and Trenton are 11 miles apart, Milan does not breed better ath. than Trenton, they just have had higher expectations than Trenton. And that is our fault, not the kids. But I think this group of kids at Peabody and the new coach at TRMS are about to change what Trenton expects from this program.