HUNTINGDON -

H-TOWN POSSY

Sorry Mr. Mustang if my talk of parity offends your sensibilities but the facts show I'm right. I could name 15 teams in west TN across the classifications that on any given night could beat the other. It wasn't too long ago that you could not have said that many...maybe 5 at the most. That is what I'm talking about more parity, which can only be a good thing if west TN ever has a chance of catching up to the privates and east TN.

Doesn't offend me one bit. You need to realize that there are schools each year that put together a strong team. Camden is just now in the mix. Is it because they are in a weak region? When a team plays in 8AA you don't get a week off to rest and play younger players like we had the luxury of this year in 7AA. Camden had a good team the last few years. Most of these teams in West Tennessee have had a team to be suited up in the 1930's at the latest. I think that's plenty of time to dispute your point. Go ahead and name 15 teams that could beat Milan in AA ball in West Tennessee or 15 teams in A ball that could beat McKenzie. Go ahead. Heck. I'll even let you pick from Middle Tennessee too.

People get on CoachT and think they are a "Football Guru". Including myself. When in reality each year a different team will advance to the Buro and it's usually one loaded up with Seniors.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One name that has not come up is Doug Argo, offensive coordinator for Peabody. Has anyone noticed the turn-around Peabody has made since Argo took that job? I would think it reasonable that he be considered for some of the head coaching jobs that are coming open.

He had a pretty rough time at Gibson County, but anyone would at that place.

I think he has proven that with the athletes and support, he is one of the better offensive coordinators in the area.

Doesn't offend me one bit. You need to realize that there are schools each year that put together a strong team. Camden is just now in the mix. Is it because they are in a weak region? When a team plays in 8AA you don't get a week off to rest and play younger players like we had the luxury of this year in 7AA. Camden had a good team the last few years. Most of these teams in West Tennessee have had a team to be suited up in the 1930's at the latest. I think that's plenty of time to dispute your point. Go ahead and name 15 teams that could beat Milan in AA ball in West Tennessee or 15 teams in A ball that could beat McKenzie. Go ahead. Heck. I'll even let you pick from Middle Tennessee too.

People get on CoachT and think they are a "Football Guru". Including myself. When in reality each year a different team will advance to the Buro and it's usually one loaded up with Seniors.

Why don't you read a post and UNDERSTAND it before you go off foaming at the mouth. I said 15 west TN teams ACROSS CLASSIFICATIONS that could play and have a chance at beating each other on any given night.

There was a time when no one could have beaten Milan or Huntingdon in 2A in West Tn(maybe not even in any classification)...now there's Camden, Peabody, JCS and Westview in the mix...in 3A Crockett Co was always the team to beat, but now there's Dyersburg, Covington, Haywood and Dyer co...in 1A Mckenzie and TCA could give any one of the above teams a good game and could possibly win...and of course with the resurgence of Henry Co, 4A is no longer dominated by the likes of JCM or Brighton. Camden took Northside to OT, Westview beat Henry Co who is going to the Semi's for the second year in a row...Mckenzie had a good game with Peabody who beat Milan(who Crocket co now refuses to play because they don't want to get beat by a AA team), and Peabody is going to the Semi's and Dyer Co, who 2 years ago couldn't have beat me on the field, beats Huntingdon and wins their region....do you see my point yet???

It's called parity my friend. West TN ball is no longer dominated by about 5 teams. I attribute the improvement to a sudden insurgence of quality coaching which, aside from a very few, was sadly lacking on this side of the river. It doesn't take a "football guru" to see it. But it does take someone with an open mind to understand it.

Lions4Ever..

My friend.. I think you have that condescending attitude again. Granted McKenzie and TCA had good clubs and McKenzie beat us this year for the 2nd year in a row. I don't think you could ask Duckman (who I think is a knowledegable fan) if McKenzie could beat Haywood County, Dyersburg or Henry County this year and by no means TCA couldn't. Camden losing to NS in overtime. Now that was a real accomplishment. Heck man, Bruceton beat Chester County this year.

Please read my post. Each year another team will rise up. This year it seems to be McKenzie's year for sure. Bruceton had a strong run for several years until something big happened. Guess what. It wasn't parity for dang sure. It's called H.I. Siegels moving out of town and losing CSX railroad too. They don't have a gene pool to pick from.

Over here in Huntingdon most of us don't look at our team through rose colored glasses. We know when we'll have a good team and until then we won't try to get on here and so some "chest thumping" like some fans do.

When one team steps up it usually means that another team usually has a drop off in talent. By no means would I consider that "PARITY". You can bring former Milan coach John Tucker to coach Waverly, Riverside or Adamsville and they would still finish 5-5 at best.

If Camden had been in 8AA this year they would have had to play Milan the 1st game as a wild card. And yes Huntingdon would have been sitting at home. That my friend is the Gospel.

Lions4Ever..

My friend.. I think you have that condescending attitude again. Granted McKenzie and TCA had good clubs and McKenzie beat us this year for the 2nd year in a row. I don't think you could ask Duckman (who I think is a knowledegable fan) if McKenzie could beat Haywood County, Dyersburg or Henry County this year and by no means TCA couldn't. Camden losing to NS in overtime. Now that was a real accomplishment. Heck man, Bruceton beat Chester County this year.

Please read my post. Each year another team will rise up. This year it seems to be McKenzie's year for sure. Bruceton had a strong run for several years until something big happened. Guess what. It wasn't parity for dang sure. It's called H.I. Siegels moving out of town and losing CSX railroad too. They don't have a gene pool to pick from.

Over here in Huntingdon most of us don't look at our team through rose colored glasses. We know when we'll have a good team and until then we won't try to get on here and so some "chest thumping" like some fans do.

When one team steps up it usually means that another team usually has a drop off in talent. By no means would I consider that "PARITY". You can bring former Milan coach John Tucker to coach Waverly, Riverside or Adamsville and they would still finish 5-5 at best.

If Camden had been in 8AA this year they would have had to play Milan the 1st game as a wild card. And yes Huntingdon would have been sitting at home. That my friend is the Gospel.

As usual, you will continue to twist my words around to suit your opinion and if that works for you...so be it. Continue to throw up being in 8AA if you must, but how it has any relevance to the original discussion I have yet to figure out. Talk about chest thumping and rose colored glasses if you feel like that should put me in my place...but I have yet to brag on anything Camden has done...I was speaking in general...across classifications, not about any team specifically. Oh, and please, speak all about condenscending attitude...because I agree, you are the "guru" on that and I'll take the word of an expert.

Good luck to Huntingdon next season...I look forward to another battle on the field between our teams and I'm sure there will be more "discussions" on this board also. I'll try not to wear my "rose colored glasses" to the game and I'll leave the "chest thumping" to the young guys who can take the pain. Until next year...

Lions4Ever..

I respect what you are saying, but there is parity coming about. The teams over here are getting better. The coaching is better, the players are getting better because of coaching. Yeah, MM or Ward or John Tucker or Bill Belichick might go 5-5 a year or two at a perinnial losing school but you let them have the time to install their systems, change the culture and work ethic and they'll be contenders every year. It's all about the coaching my friend. In high school, it's about coaching.

While Camden got beat again by a Nashville Private, I think the gap is closing. Yeah, we lost a lot of seniors and next year may be a so-called down year, but we'll make a run at the region title and go to the playoffs. I'll take that as a down year anytime, as opposed to my freshman and sophomore year at Camden where we were collectively 0-20. But who knows? Ward's a great coach and he may take them to the finals. I know those boys work a heckuva lot harder than we did when I was a player there. Sure we were in a weak region, but we play the schedule TSSAA hands to us. Look at our schedule and tell me the rest of it was weak. They are taking steps to become one of the top tier teams in the state, not just West TN. East TN IS better than West. No doubt. But I think the gap is closing.... slowly, but surely. Camden's not the only ones doing it. AThe culture is changing over here in West TN. We want the gold balls over here in West TN!!!!!!!!!

I, for one, as a Camden fan, am very proud of Milan and Huntingdon's Gold balls. I think it's freaking awesome. And because of them, other schools in our area are taking note and trying to bring in a coach that pushes for a winning atmosphere and attitude. Take Henry Co. for example. I'm pretty sure Joe Gaddis coached in east TN. Oak Ridge? Correct me if I am wrong, for I am known to be wrong from time to time.

And no sir, Camden would've picked up the 3rd spot in that region. Cause the team we beat this year that got that spot is playing in the semi's.

Lions4ever... I apologize if I sometimes misunderstand what others are trying to say. But I have a hard time totaling up 15 A teams that could beat AA teams on any given night. Same goes for 15 AA teams beating AAA teams on any given night.

My point is Huntingdon has been fortunate to have good teams but I don't think realistically we could play with Crockett Co., Haywood or Covington each week. It's was hard enough for us to play with Westview, Camden, Milan, Trenton and Humboldt. When we won the 2003 title we were loaded up with 18 good seniors and that many juniors. We haven't had that since then. I just don't consider that parity. Maybe you look at it that way because Camden is having a good run. With less than 400 in High school our gene pool has dropped off too... /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Lions4ever... I apologize if I sometimes misunderstand what others are trying to say. But I have a hard time totaling up 15 A teams that could beat AA teams on any given night. Same goes for 15 AA teams beating AAA teams on any given night.

My point is Huntingdon has been fortunate to have good teams but I don't think realistically we could play with Crockett Co., Haywood or Covington each week. It's was hard enough for us to play with Westview, Camden, Milan, Trenton and Humboldt. When we won the 2003 title we were loaded up with 18 good seniors and that many juniors. We haven't had that since then. Our boys are "wormy" to say the least. Good luck and I know you'll have a good squad next year too.

I hope Huntingdon kicks some serious butt next year. Except for ours.....

Good luck to your team, I hope basketball season, spring training and fall practice go great and injury free. Let's get to work on bringing some 'ships back to this side of the river.

Oh, and something I think most all of us can agree on- GO VOLS!! BEAT LSU!

I hope Huntingdon kicks some serious butt next year. Except for ours.....

Good luck to your team, I hope basketball season, spring training and fall practice go great and injury free. Let's get to work on bringing some 'ships back to this side of the river.

Oh, and something I think most all of us can agree on- GO VOLS!! BEAT LSU!

RCombs..

I think Huntingdon will drop down along to small ball with Trenton next reclassifacation. According to our enrollment and the last classifacation numbers we would be 1-A.

Lions4ever..

I respect your opinion but I have to disagree with you on the parity/coaching part. You can have Belichick or any coach and if you don't have the players, success will be hard to find. Huntingdon has the same coaches for the most part but the gene pool is down. I see some good athletes coming along but nothing like the 2003 year. Now that team made Mansfield look like Vince Lombardi... /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Guest Advisor

A move from Camden to Huntingdon is a lateral move? You need to get off that Black & Gold KoolAid!!!!!

In all actuality.............it would be a regression! Historically, Camden has paid their coaches higher salaries than any West Tennessee school with the exception of Dyersburg! So, it is you Mustang69 that is strangling on the Kool-aid!! James Counce left Paris in favor of Camden in the early 90's and took 2 coaches with him! After 3 years, Dyersburg came calling with even more $$$!

RCombs..

I think Huntingdon will drop down along to small ball with Trenton next reclassifacation. According to our enrollment and the last classifacation numbers we would be 1-A.

Lions4ever..

I respect your opinion but I have to disagree with you on the parity/coaching part. You can have Belichick or any coach and if you don't have the players, success will be hard to find. Huntingdon has the same coaches for the most part but the gene pool is down. I see some good athletes coming along but nothing like the 2003 year. Now that team made Mansfield look like Vince Lombardi... /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

I also respect your opinion...but let me give you some examples of what I'm talking about. Let's take Camden...as rcombs said..a perennial bottom feeder in AA for many years. Coach Ward comes in 2003...the Lions have a 6-5 season, go to the playoffs and almost upset #1 Lewis co as a #4 seed. Next season, Quarterfinals with 11-2 record and their only losses to the defending state champ Mustangs....next season after graduating a large senior class, Quarterfinal appearance...2006 region champ, ...etc...etc... to what the Lions are today...a contender respected by all comers. Do you really think that that happened on some strange coincidence? We have graduated at least 12 and as many as 15 seniors every year since 2003 and there has been no drop off. We actually had a time between 2003 and 2005 were we had LESS students than in 2003 so it can't be that. We have little to no industry in this county and what we did have way back during the cellar dwellar years has dried up and blown away. So what is it that changed Camden football for good? (I hope) Great coaching...which brought about community and business support. It was all coaching with a capital C.

Look what has happened to Bruceton since Sturdivant stepped down...for that matter don't you think Huntingdon football changed when Eric Swenson left town? Look at Dyer co a new coach...a new system that fits their players strengths and they are suddenly region champs....sounds mighty familiar to me (see above paragraph for reminders) Even McKenzie...they dropped down to where they should be because of population, play a system that fits their strengths and hides their weaknesses and they are in the hunt every year. I think when Huntingdon drops down where they should be they will also be in the hunt.

I just don't see how you can't see the nose right in front of your face...coaching has changed things either for the better with some teams or the worse for some of the unlucky ones. The one good thing for West TN is that there seems to be alot more great coaches instead of a bunch of good/mediocre ones just drawing their supplement.